Quantcast

Husky 576 ideas/build!

Kevin

Reaction score
One of my customers brought me a 576 that has low hours and got run over by a skidder. I looked it over and it needs a tank, top handle, and starter right off the bat. He took a starter assy off one of his other saws to see if it still ran and it did...so that's good news. I did notice there is a positioning pin on the back of the clutch cover that got crushed in and snapped off the corresponding piece on the case. I don't think that will be detrimental to the operation of the saw though and I went ahead and ordered the parts I know I'll need. ...We call that a battle wound :smoking:

So, I haven't messed with stratto saws much and was thinking on doing the muffler. Have any you guys opened up these mufflers to let them breath and had adverse effects? Have you noticed good gains or not much at all?

There was one time a customer came through with a 575 that would start fine and cut great but once he shut it down and tried to restart it it would flood out. I'm talking gas coming out the muffler flood out! He went around in circles trying to get this saw fixed. He'd bring it to the dealer and they'd give it back saying it runs fine and that they were unable to duplicate the problem.
It was very temperamental to say the least. I could get it started but the owner was one of those guys with no finesse. I talked to him and told him I have to take your new saws muffler off and operate. I ended up finding that it was very restricted and drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the baffle (much more direct flow) and removed the screen. To this day that saw starts like a dream for that guy. BUT, in the back of my mind I know I didn't go to town modding that muffler, I just kept it real simple so as you couldn't even tell from looking at it that it anything had been altered.

Back to the 576, will this saw take nicely to a well modded muffler? Any other tricks/ways to get gains with this strato? I'm not going to be pulling the jug so I'm thinking that's about it...

Kevin

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Reaction score
yes 576 or any new saw including startos would benefit for a much less restricted muffler.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
576 mufflers are hollow like the 372. Add another opening on it and tune it. They respond to port work pretty good. They have good torque already so if you can tighten up the squish and get some more compression they seem to really like raising the exhaust a little bit. That's what I've noticed on 2 of them. They only have 12-13° of blowdown.

Kevin

Reaction score
Snowing like crazy here this morning. Took the day off work in anticipation so I wouldn't have to drive 68 miles on the highway...

I'm kinda getting excited about this saw. mdavlee, how has the fuel consumption been on the 576's you've ported? I know that will be a big concern for this particular customer.

When you say lower the squish, are you talking just removing the base gasket or machining it? I've seen a lot of guys machining the squish bands lately; the only thing I would be able to do is port and remove the base gasket unless I sent it to one of you guys to cut the squish.

Have you been working the transfers or the intake at all?

mdavlee

Reaction score
The squish has been around .030" on the 2 I did. If you can drop it down to low .020s then it will gain compression and lower the intake a hair. The intake is very narrow and can't be widened but around .075" on each side or something small like that. The intake timing is pretty low to start with so I lowered it a little bit. I didn't get the strato ports the same as the intake. Some say it makes a bigger difference but I never went back in and done it. The transfers can be widened a lot towards the intake. I think almost a 1/4". I don't have any pictures but that and raising the exhaust 2° really made it come alive. The fuel mileage is a little better than say a ported 372 or way better than a 460 and 660.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
What deflector did you use on the muff mod when you created another outlet? I looked at a 288 and it didn't really have a good mounting point or place to line up? I was in a hurry so I didn't go far with it but just curious as the 288 seems to be everyone's fav.

Kevin

Reaction score
TK, you getting much snow? We have about 7 or so. I'm going out soon to play with the Bolens and single stage snow thrower...first time this season.

I didn't create a deflector for the 575. All I did was drilled a 1/2 inch (or there abouts) hole in the metal tube in the muffler. I called it the baffle before but it is more of a cat muffler...hard to describe without pictures.
It was about a year ago to, so I am trying to remember what it looked like.

I think I'm going to tear into the 576 later today. I'll take pictures along the way :yup:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
TK, you getting much snow? We have about 7 or so. I'm going out soon to play with the Bolens and single stage snow thrower...first time this season.

I didn't create a deflector for the 575. All I did was drilled a 1/2 inch (or there abouts) hole in the metal tube in the muffler. I called it the baffle before but it is more of a cat muffler...hard to describe without pictures.
It was about a year ago to, so I am trying to remember what it looked like.

I think I'm going to tear into the 576 later today. I'll take pictures along the way :yup:

I doubt we have 7 here yet. It's still coming down fair but doesn't seem to be accumulating all that fast anymore. It piled up a good bit this morning though.

And I'm curious to follow along on pretty much any 570 or 576 thread, got a feeling this summer I've got a bunch of exploring to do with a buddy's saw. I'm no welder or brazer so my options are fairly limited :lol:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Ok now we're over a foot

young

Reaction score
its 60 out here. kinda hot you know. :p

mdavlee

Reaction score
It's was 68° here and sunshine. Running around in a t-shirt now.

I used the smaller deflector I can't remember the number right now. It will fit on the clutch side on the front.

Kevin

Reaction score
Just got back from sledding with my daughter, good times :thumbsup:
TK, we got near a foot of snow now and it just picked up again. Have another low coming through tonight, so we should pick up a few more inches.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
It's was 68° here and sunshine. Running around in a t-shirt now.

I used the smaller deflector I can't remember the number right now. It will fit on the clutch side on the front.

The other 288 piece or off a different model? I think there were two or three used on 288's.... But I can't remember. I may have one laying around here somewhere.

young

Reaction score
The other 288 piece or off a different model? I think there were two or three used on 288's.... But I can't remember. I may have one laying around here somewhere.

looks like the 266 deflector to me. 503589901

Kevin

Reaction score
I spoke with the owner and he is still very concerned about fuel consumption. I told him I think it will drink a little more then the stock one he has but nothing like the hopped up 2171's I built him. They love running those saws but they go through the fuel. However, he told me to have at it :) with this 576. I'm going to see what I can do with this. Just so all know, the 576 is new to me so I'm all ears.

I put the degree wheel on this tonight.
ex 103
x-fer 113
In 72
B.D. 10
squish .029

Do these nbrs jive with what's been found out there? I am surprised the transfers are so low from the factory.. kinda don't want to go up any more with em', but what fun would that be :D

I'm thinking:
setting the squish to .018
ex 98
x-fer 110
in 77 maybe a touch higher??

This saw has one of those blue coils on it too. I think I'm going to swap that out with a black one...the blue ones I've found fail a lot.

OK...thoughts guys?

Kevin

Reaction score
As for the muffler, mdavlee was dead on, it's hollow. I'm going to mod that up some and will post pictures when the time comes.

I have a few projects going on at the moment. Right now I'm waiting on parts for this thing (576) so I might find some time to jump on other projects. I have a 670 I have to build for a guy and a ms310 I'd like to get back together.

The ms310... thats another good mtr but the saw got hit by a truck. I've been waiting for a nice body to put it into and recently I aquired a nice body blown to hell eng ms290...have to take that piece of chit apart and put it back together...then find someone to buy it. Oh....it never ends.

mdavlee

Reaction score
Those numbers should make a good runner. I raised the exhaust up to 100 and it made a big difference with dropping the intake to 76. I didn't go on down any more since I planned on machine work on one and it ran so nice I never did it.

Kevin

Reaction score
I'm going woodz with this

First, Jason, can you move this to the woods build thread for me? I went off the deep end and went woods :thumbsup:

I pulled the jug last night when I got home from work. Between looking at the jug and the piston I am scratching my head. I don't understand the concept of the strato design. Why are they getting such good fuel consumption, making great power, and have small carbs???

mdavlee

Reaction score
The fuel only goes through the top barrel and fresh air is coming from the bottom two ports. I guess it needs less fuel in the main charge to make the same power. The strato ports and intake ports open up close together.

Latest posts