i haz a file. i file my chainz

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Ok, I had to make this thread tonight before I forgot. As some of you know, my memory isn't the greatest so if I didn't do it tonight I'd forget to do it tomorrow.

Soooooo..... pics to come tomorrow. I have had some free time on my hands to do pretty much anything around the shop. So along with trying to be a little productive, I decided to mess around with a chain. It's absolutely nothing fancy. I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm fully capable of getting a nice sharp chain, but outside of that, I don't know the workings of a "work chain" or a "race chain."

Hopefully some of you guyz can critique it a bit and tell me if I fubared it or am going in the right direction. It took far more time than I'd really ever want to spend on a chain just to go buck firewood. But it was interesting to do, to say the least. So, pics tomorrow.

parrisw

Jan 9, 2012
BC, Canada
I'd like to start playing around with chain more. I've only ever sharpened square once, tried it on my 357 with a goofy file. Actually worked pretty good.

Attachments

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I'll even post the blurry one, even though it annoys me to no end.

It's just round filing, but it's not the cutting edge I'm too concerned with - it's the rest of it that I'm unsure of. I cleaned the gullet down flat and smooth, and trimmed up the rakers. They're inconsistant as I was having a little A.D.D. kick in. Is it a waste of time to do what I did or will I actually notice it? The height of the rakers is consistant, I used the grinder for that, a mere .025".

Reactions: 1 person

Metals406

346 and 372 spikes coming soon. PM me for details.
Jan 9, 2012
NW Montana
I'd like to start playing around with chain more. I've only ever sharpened square once, tried it on my 357 with a goofy file. Actually worked pretty good.

I see you're cleaning that gullet out. . . Good man!

Try for a steeper angle (side plate) to make it a bit sharper though, it'll make a difference. :rock:

parrisw

Jan 9, 2012
BC, Canada
I see you're cleaning that gullet out. . . Good man!

Try for a steeper angle (side plate) to make it a bit sharper though, it'll make a difference. :rock:
I thaught you wanted to intersect the two points, the inside and outside corner? I guess that gives you you're top plate angle. Maybe I'm not following what you're saying.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
If you get the side plate leaning forward 2-3° that's what you want. Where the corner intersects on the inside of the tooth doesn't have to be right in that corner. You can play around with the down angle I guess and the top plate angle and change it. I've ground some with real steep top plate angles and shallow angles. The shallow will cut faster but will dull easier as it's thinner.

Attachments

Metals406

Jan 9, 2012
NW Montana
I thaught you wanted to intersect the two points, the inside and outside corner? I guess that gives you you're top plate angle. Maybe I'm not following what you're saying.
Sorry for the confusion Will. . . I was referring to the gullet angle, not the top plate side plate intersection at the top.

Metals406

Jan 9, 2012
NW Montana
Ahh, ok, so your saying to file the gullet back further?
No, steeper angle with the file, not only does it make the side plate sharper, it makes more of a channel under the tooth.

I stop filing when I feel the file kind'a bind/catch, and know I'm back enough.

parrisw

Jan 9, 2012
BC, Canada
No, steeper angle with the file, not only does it make the side plate sharper, it makes more of a channel under the tooth.

I stop filing when I feel the file kind'a bind/catch, and know I'm back enough.
Hmm, I think I'm following ya? But if I angle the file steeper wouldn't the inner and outer points no longer intersect?

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
Randy I would be glad to if I was home. I taught my dad how to spin chains up so I can sell chain off a roll when i'm not there. I haven't got him trained on the grinder yet.

SawTroll

Jan 10, 2012
Troms, North Norway.
I prefere to look closely at what I am doing, and hold the chain steady with my other hand - you need to file the edge, and not into the gullet. Filing the gullet is the next step, when needed.

Also, I use the Husky plate guides, or the File-o-Plate for the rakers, as they need to be individually fitted to the cutters, and progressive as the teeth are filed back. The raker guides from Oregon and Stihl are useless!

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Majorpayne Stihl FG2 file guide For Sale 9
heimannm Carlton File-O-Plate Chainsawz 26
S Flat file choice Chainsawz 8
Poncho Cheap file holders Chainsawz 6
Shanster What file? Chainsawz 8
Kevin Perfect file handle Hawgz Garage 19