Quantcast

If you could only burn one type of wood.....

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
.....what would it be??

If I had to pick one type it'd be red oak. Hands down it's mah favorite. Splits like a dream, is a bit heavy, but it burns so consistent and lasts so long - ooohhh I love ​red oak.....

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Reaction score
Im a big Ash fan. But it doesn't last like red oak. My wood pile consist of shagbark hickory, red oak, white oak, ash, slickbark hickory and the occasional stray unknown species. Well, unknown to me anyways...

NORMZILLA44

Reaction score
Never tried Red oak, not much or any here I don't think. Or any Jeremy mentioned. Here it would have to be Euacalyptus, or madrone. It's a real toss up so close between the two. No ash, super high BTU's, and tons of coals.

jrepairsk70e

any name [cept shithead]
Reaction score
Iron Wood, it's small enough you don't have to split it and it burns like coal. And it's everywhere.
I have burned some of that stuff ....only thing scary is when I open the door on the stove its like fireworks ,little sparkle rockets go shooting all over the place ,I have panic ed enough to just close the door quick and wait till its kindling wood time to get it relit . figure its better than starting a fire outside the stove on the couch or recliner :laughing::omg::ahah:

Troy G

Reaction score
Lucky bastages. I got Cottonwood, Poplar, and Siberian Elm. All a pain in the anal canal to split unless it sits for 18 months.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Lucky bastages. I got Cottonwood, Poplar, and Siberian Elm. All a pain in the anal canal to split unless it sits for 18 months.

I'm burning almost nothing but Walnut this year since it's so damn plentiful.

Get yourself one of these bad boys. Splitting by hand is for suckers.

Troy G

Reaction score
BOTI,

I have a Timberwolf TW-P1 and it is still a pain to split unseasoned cottonwood and Elm. The wood does not split so much as it tears apart. I used to split by hand until I started working with some volume of wood. I cut a big cottonwood down this summer and the town I live in thought they were doing me a big favor by letting me have the wood. I had to noodle most of the big stuff and then find a place to store all the rest until it dries. Then when it burns it burns hot for about 35 minutes then it is gone.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score
well not the monkey balls....:bananawhip: but the wood for sure great stuff ...HOT HOT HOT

Yup... I sorta got a lot of it...
Burn the Hedge...
Sell the Oak...

Latest posts