I'm so bored

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
So I apologize in advance for post-whoring all over the place. The lack of snow really sucks. We don't really have a whole lot going on this time of year unless the white stuff flies. So I get bored. Real bored.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
We're actually really busy for this time of year. We're just the opposite, we don't sell any snowblowers so
this time of year it's all chainsaw stuff. And since we're having such a mild winter everyone is out cutting wood right now.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I wish I could say the same. No margin, too many brands, weather dependant, people beating down the door when they need them but forget about you until that point. Such a hassle. The less suburban areas would have been a better fit for me, but this area just needed this type of work so I jumped in head first. And here I am, bored as hell because there's no snow :boring:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Tom did I gather from that post that you're not digging being a dealer....?
No I love the work and the trade/field and whatnot, I'm not digging being bored. I don't think I can remember a winter like this in Maine in my lifetime.

The margin/brands comment was specific to snowblowers. The OPE segment overall has poopy margins, but I don't rely on sales. I make sure I emphasize the parts of this business that actually make money. Being bored isn't one of them ;)

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
I wish I could say the same. No margin, too many brands, weather dependant, people beating down the door when they need them but forget about you until that point. Such a hassle. The less suburban areas would have been a better fit for me, but this area just needed this type of work so I jumped in head first. And here I am, bored as hell because there's no snow :boring:
We're going to be moving the shop here in two weeks from a slightly rural, to a very rural area.
We're going from 3,500$ a month overhead down to about 1000$

We just parted ways with Toro, so we're just down to Stihl for whole goods.

Their margins arent great but the product, all of their products are a guaranteed sellers.

Last edited:

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
Building is being delivered and assembled Jan 19th and 20th then it's a race to get
the placed wired, insulated, dry walled and lights installed.

We're hoping to open the first week or two of February.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
We're going to be moving the shop here in two weeks from a slightly rural, to a very rural area.
We're going from 3,500$ a month overhead down to about 1000$

We just parted ways with Toro, so we're just down to Stihl for whole goods.

Their margins arent great but the product, all of their products are a guaranteed sellers.
Mowers/tractors are a good chunk of my market, I'd have to have something along those lines to keep the main flow of customers coming through the doors. I'd love to have Stihl/Husqvarna side by side but there's a Stihl dealer nearby, been there for quite some time. Not sure I could do well enough to make it worthwhile to have both.

Good luck with the move and all the changes. Hope it proves to be a solid decision.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
Mowers/tractors are a good chunk of my market, I'd have to have something along those lines to keep the main flow of customers coming through the doors. I'd love to have Stihl/Husqvarna side by side but there's a Stihl dealer nearby, been there for quite some time. Not sure I could do well enough to make it worthwhile to have both.

Good luck with the move and all the changes. Hope it proves to be a solid decision.
TK what lines do you have?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
TK what lines do you have?
For equipment just Husky. Don't have near enough room to take on more lines right now. I had originally considered Toro at first but I wanted something that had mroe to offer throughout the lineup. I need a larger building and property before I can consider something else. Hell, I need more space as it is right now for what I'm doing.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Building is being delivered and assembled Jan 19th and 20th then it's a race to get
the placed wired, insulated, dry walled and lights installed.

We're hoping to open the first week or two of February.

I've got two Ford Rangers. I can help. I talked to Keith, he said he'd be game for helping if you guys need it. Let a homie know.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
o8f150 you know your bored and have CAD when Chainsawz 13
WoodChuck'r I'm bored. The Razorback Lounge 65