Important about Wood burning Inside my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn
I need to to if there is any laws to ban inside wood burning in a wood stove or anything.

The reason why i ask is i Had a visit from the State of Tennessee Department of Environment & Conservation agency today. Telling me that we were called in on for burning wood. they came in and took pictures of my wood stove and the out side smoke stack.

Then they said they have to give me a 30 day notice to quit using it and install central air and heating unit. Well the problem is i don't have the money to go out and buy one to install everything from the air duct work and the unit it self.

So can someone please tell me if there is any Ban or anything on using wood to heat my house?

I need to know really quick before time runs out.

I'm not Bull✖✖✖✖ting anyone on this they was just here about 20 minutes ago.

Last edited:

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn
Yeah i know it does but they gave me a notice and told me i had to quit using it. Then said they will be back out in 30 days to make sure i have quit using it.

I can't find nothing on the internet that says anything about a ban on using wood to heat my house with.Unless it has just come into effect or something in the last month.

Mrs. J

May 20, 2012
They are requiring you to buy a central unit? You live in TN? Maybe you misunderstood them. Pretty sure no one can require you to do that. Were you burning outside? Trash? Tires? I can see them getting involved then.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Do you have a mobile home? Some states ban the use of wood stoves in mobile homes because they are so air tight it kill you in your sleep.

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Go to town hall or the equivalent where you live and have a chat with code enforcement. They'll tell you just what you can and can't do. I can't imagine the state department getting involved with home heating. That would either be code enforcement or fire department. Take a pic and post the notice.

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn
They are requiring you to buy a central unit? You live in TN? Maybe you misunderstood them. Pretty sure no one can require you to do that. Were you burning outside? Trash? Tires? I can see them getting involved then.
yes we had a Early Christmas party here Saturday where we had a out side bonfire to keep us warm and stuff but we didn't burn nothing but fire wood from under the trap that keeps it dry.

Yes we were drinking a little but it never got out of hand. We didn't burn no tires or nothing just fire wood.

Do you have a mobile home? Some states ban the use of wood stoves in mobile homes because they are so air tight it kill you in your sleep.
Yes i live in a mobile home but it's not air tight it got some holes in it from where i live back to back with a lime stone mines. They bast everyday except on Sunday and holidays and it has ruin our roof and busted out most of our windows.

But heck thats the only way i can keep my family warm during winter. I don't care if it cost me my house or what ever i am going to keep my family warm no matter what.

I sorry for trying to sound like a horses rear but I'm a little upset over someone wanting to cause trouble with someone all the time.

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn
Go to town hall or the equivalent where you live and have a chat with code enforcement. They'll tell you just what you can and can't do. I can't imagine the state department getting involved with home heating. That would either be code enforcement or fire department. Take a pic and post the notice.
I'm going tomorrow and see what kind of Enforcement they have against burning wood to keep warm.

And as for the notice my lawyer has already got it today. he is going to look in to it and see what he can figure out about it. He said there is some loop holes in it and he going to find out what he can do.

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn
but they gave me some letters and it says nothing about burning wood in a wood stove to keep warm.It's just saying that i can't burn anything outside. Like Mrs.J said i might have misunderstood them but i really don't know my lawyer has everything they gave me and he is checking in on it.

I know a lot of people that burns wood to keep warm with and i have sold about 20 ricks so far this year. But i think something is going on and i can't find out what it is.

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
Hum.... that is weird for TDEC to get involved in that. They have tightened up on the clean air standards in and around Knox countys the last couple of years. You can't have an outside fire at all in knox county now, no burning leaves or anything, not sure about union county. Only thing i can think of is if you've had a real smokey fire or something.....id had to made them tell me a reason before they left. Keep us updated, im kinda curious myself .

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn
Hum.... that is weird for TDEC to get involved in that. They have tightened up on the clean air standards in and around Knox county's the last couple of years. You can't have an outside fire at all in knox county now, no burning leaves or anything, not sure about union county. Only thing i can think of is if you've had a real smokey fire or something.....id had to made them tell me a reason before they left. Keep us updated, im kinda curious myself .
I tried to get them to tell me why can't i use my wood stove to heat my house. I can understand burning outside Because i was on the fire department here For 8 1/2 years and i now enough to know what not to burn.

I told them i was on the fire department for 8 1/2 years and then gave it up because all the horses rears that was there. But they wouldn't tell me why they gave me that notice to quit burning wood for. But my lawyer will find out in a few days hopefully.

I'm going tomorrow and see if there is a ban on burning wood or something. But i doubt there is one.But i'll keep you all informed on this this is something i never heard before on burning wood. i know the Lime stone Mines behind us lets out more toxic stuff then my stove does.

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
How about post a pic of the notice they gave you. Or your woodstove. Or your trailer.

You don't have a business license or insurance or common sense, but you have a lawyer on retainer and have already provided them all the pertinent information?

I call bull✖✖✖✖.

Reactions: 4 people

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
You might be surprised about the quarry. Im sure TDEC monitors their dewatering activity and other storm water and pollution control garb, which is what they normally do....... Might even be how they stumbled upon what ever you are supposedly doing wrong......?

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
How about post a pic of the notice they gave you. Or your woodstove. Or your trailer.

You don't have a business license or insurance or common sense, but you have a lawyer on retainer and have already provided them all the pertinent information?

I call bull✖✖✖✖.
It does sound a bit fishy. The laywer had the papers 3 hours later lol.
You get your S-10 fixed already?

Reactions: thomas1

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn

I call bull✖✖✖✖.
Ok thomas this has gone way to far about the whole tree business . Why don't you go back to the other site and mind your on business. I'm not Tellin no lies on this that just happened today but it seems your want to just cause trouble every time i post something.

So you can call what ever you want that's your opinion on this but like i stated before my lawyer has everything they gave me today and he is trying to find out why the heck they came out over my wood stove that i been using for the last 14 years. With buying a new one every 4 years.

But i'm not here trying to cause no one trouble or trying to led them on a wild goose chase i'm just trying to figure out why they came out and gave me a notice and told me to quit using my wood stove.

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn
It does sound a bit fishy. The laywer had the papers 3 hours later lol.
You get your S-10 fixed already?
Yes my S-10 why who said it was torn up?

I said i replaced the engine in it. and planning on getting a spare when i get the money. But this here is something i never heard of were they come to some ones house and tell them to quit using their wood stove that keeps them warm.

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn
You might be surprised about the quarry. Im sure TDEC monitors their dewatering activity and other storm water and pollution control garb, which is what they normally do....... Might even be how they stumbled upon what ever you are supposedly doing wrong......?
Yes i know they do but trust me they still let more then what they should out in the air. the tree's around my house and looks like it has snow on them year round. I have to wash my truck every month something because they let so much out. it look like i painted it white instead of the natural blue it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DefinitiveDave Sticky: all mattering super important complete saw rebuild demonstration video Chainsawz 11
flyboy553 New Member With Important Question New Memberz Area 29
D Important ,about running bbq pit stack through house The Razorback Lounge 4
thomas1 Wood Furnaces... Hawgz Back 40 122
dboyd351 Small/medium wood stove recommendation Hawgz Back 40 9
H 2 H Wood's has the good's The Razorback Lounge 3
cat-face timber Covering fire wood with a tarp The Razorback Lounge 51
Mx_racer428 High quality commercial size wood splitter. For Sale 8
Modifiedmark cut some wood today Chainsawz 19
de_dubya State Considers Banning Wood burning from November 1 to March 15 Hawgz Back 40 12
Dh 1984 Findaly got a wood splitter Hawgz Back 40 172
G Show me your wood! Hawgz Back 40 6796
G Wood ID Chainsawz 26
cowroy Cut a little wood today Hawgz Back 40 49
Chity_Avatar Stihl 028 Wood Boss for sale For Sale 2
P Small Wood and Fuglies Chainsawz 12
M THE HARDEST WOOD EVER!!!! Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 7
naked arborist All night wood Hawgz Back 40 9
Lumberjackchef What I do with my wood! Hawgz Back 40 14
K Is there a definitive word or consensus on the environmental impact of heating with wood? Hawgz Back 40 13
KenJax Tree New show called Big Bad Wood on National Geographic on Thursdays at 9pm Chainsawz 12
K How much wood would a woodchipper chip? Hawgz Back 40 5
Genius Best direction to stack wood Hawgz Back 40 29
C best chain for all around? dirty and clean wood mixed, lpx or lgx? Chainsawz 28
Mastermind A new forum for wood hacks..... The Razorback Lounge 48
R Fire wood prices Hawgz Back 40 49
WoodChuck'r Hi what's the best chainsaw for cutting up wood into smaller pieces. Chainsawz 16
Troy G New Wood Stove . . . what would you buy? Hawgz Back 40 4
WoodChuck'r If you could only burn one type of wood..... Hawgz Back 40 43
mweba Last nights job. Felling cotton wood Hawgz Back 40 7
booted Hi i like to cut wood with my handz New Memberz Area 15
S Burning big rounds? Hawgz Back 40 8
Mrs. J Still burning!!!!! Hawgz Back 40 37