Inside the 365XT....

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
Got a couple 365's in tha udder day for the sawmill. First one got the transfer covers modded, and a muff mod and shipped out. Mitch wants me to try and wring a bit more out of this one. Also this one is gettin the HD filter setup and stuff....

Intake side...Sorry, its upside down.

Intake from the inside...

The dreaded "doohickey" ya gotta grind out.

Transfer covers off.

Monstorus combustion chamber.

Exhaust port.

And the mammoth slug.

Reactions: 1 person

Wigglesworth

Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
The timing numbers were pretty much normal, with exception to the stratos.

Exhaust - 101
Trans - 116
Intake - 74

The strato starts opening into the upper trans at 101 and closes at 116. Perfectly in time with the exhaust and transfer opening.

I dont have my notes sitting here, but the stratos open up in the intake way early, but I cant remember. Ill post up in the morning where they were.

Kevin

Feb 7, 2012
In that last picture, what is that groove under the bottom ring for? That piston looks just like the one in the 576 I'm doing...When I was at TK's shop the other day we were looking at a 575 piston and it had a factory hole in both sides in that groove. We were thinking maybe Husqvarna was trying different things and that the 576 don't have holes so it must be for some reason. Maybe Tom can post a picture of the profile of the 575 piston to help put things in perspective.

Wigglesworth

Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
In that last picture, what is that groove under the bottom ring for? That piston looks just like the one in the 576 I'm doing...When I was at TK's shop the other day we were looking at a 575 piston and it had a factory hole in both sides in that groove. We were thinking maybe Husqvarna was trying different things and that the 576 don't have holes so it must be for some reason. Maybe Tom can post a picture of the profile of the 575 piston to help put things in perspective.
Ill be the first to admit, I know jack squat about a strato, but that top groove is a direct path from the strato ports to the upper transfers from 101ATDC to 116ATDC. I didnt time the lower cut out on the piston.

Maybe im doing it wrong? LOL

The stratos feed air to the upper transfers from 101-116 and it appears from the pics that sometime after 116 the lower cut outs in the piston fill up with incoming air, and possibly dump into the crankcase sometime before BDC? Notice in the first pic, the portion of cylinder protruding from the base is cut out quite strange too...

I guess ill have to do a bit more digging.....with pics of course. :D

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
So do you think the 365/372xt will act like a different animal porting because it has the split intake with only one passage through the carb whereas the other stratos have a completely separate butterfly for the stratos for just clean air? The 365 is getting a fuel mix charge to the strato ports and the 576 is simply getting air.....

Wigglesworth

Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
So do you think the 365/372xt will act like a different animal porting because it has the split intake with only one passage through the carb whereas the other stratos have a completely separate butterfly for the stratos for just clean air? The 365 is getting a fuel mix charge to the strato ports and the 576 is simply getting air.....
Who knows? Lol

I guess I'll find out. :D

Most likely gonna cut the chamber on this one. Not really gonna go extreme with the ports, just some widening and smoothing.

To be honest, I'm not real sure what to expect...I might just make a turd out of it!!! Haha

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Who knows? Lol

I guess I'll find out. :D

Most likely gonna cut the chamber on this one. Not really gonna go extreme with the ports, just some widening and smoothing.

To be honest, I'm not real sure what to expect...I might just make a turd out of it!!! Haha
I've found just by removing the "splitter" in the carb, you gain good torque. But of course that isn't relevant if you wish it to remain fuel efficient.:thumbsup:

Kevin

Feb 7, 2012
Ill be the first to admit, I know jack squat about a strato, but that top groove is a direct path from the strato ports to the upper transfers from 101ATDC to 116ATDC. I didnt time the lower cut out on the piston.

Maybe im doing it wrong? LOL

The stratos feed air to the upper transfers from 101-116 and it appears from the pics that sometime after 116 the lower cut outs in the piston fill up with incoming air, and possibly dump into the crankcase sometime before BDC? Notice in the first pic, the portion of cylinder protruding from the base is cut out quite strange too...

I guess ill have to do a bit more digging.....with pics of course. :D
I started compairing to a 576 and the cyl are different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

Wigglesworth

Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
K guys, it's official, I'm a boob!!!

Made a call to a real pro (cough, cough) and got this strato thing squared away :)

Without a base gasket, squish is .020

I reset the wheel at TDC, and here's what I gotz...

Exhaust 100
Tran 116
Intake 76
Stratos close at 78

So, now that I got sum "correct" numbers..... Wonder what I'll do wit em. :/

Oh, also found this pretty ugly ridge right at the edge of the chamber. It will be disappearing though. :)

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
And I love how the IPL cad drawings for the xtorq are so completely wrong it's not funny. Same drawing shown as the non xtorq saws. So if I want to look at stuff like carb splitters and even the A/F mount, I can't see it. Even the intake boot is the simple small one, not the honkin divided strato boot. :derplol:

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Not sure he made to much head way. I think he was distracted with phone repairs:banana:

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
You got any grinding done on this one yet? I'm interested to see what you think of it after you mess with it a little.

Wigglesworth

Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
Well that's done....

Before...

After...

If I did my math right, should end up with .022-.023 squish.

Took .035 from the chamber, and .052 from the base so I could run a gasket.

I'm pretty fond of a base gasket. I've seen too many goobers use the wrong stuff as sealer, and start suckin air.

Last edited:

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
Well the work looks good. I wonder how it will run compared to those 044s?:evilgrin:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
If you haven't slapped the jug back on that thing yet can you snap a pic not so zoomed in of the base of the cylinder? From a slight angle..... not straight into the combustion chamber.