Interfaith Caregivers charity cut pics

Steve NW WI

Converted to the Dark Side
Aug 3, 2013
Star Prairie, WI
What with AS seemingly daily dropping dead, and the fact that it's much easier and cooler to post pics here, I'm putting today's story here.

A bunch of us from AS up here in WI and MN, with occasional visitors from as far off as exotic lands like MO and IA, get together semi-regularly to help out a local charity. The Interfaith Caregivers of Burnett County WI's Heat-A-Home project helps seniors and disabled people stay in their homes by providing free wood.

Someone's gotta cut the stuff, might as well be a bunch of saw addicts, right?

Today was a special treat, clearcutting 3 parking areas for a new one of these, it's a re-use of an old dump site:

102_3785 (Medium).JPG

But first, we gotta start the day off with some good fuel for the workers, breakfast at the Main Street Cafe in Siren WI is NOT to be missed if you ever come to one of these.

102_3741 (Medium).JPG

Table full of hooligans, led by Denny from interfaith, 4th from the left in the front row.

Another shot. Our waitress was pretty creative getting these shots in a tiny small town cafe. Between the two pics, you've pretty much seen the whole place. We kinda take it over on Charity cut days!

102_3742 (Medium).jpg

Anyway, off to the site. Some oak, lots of poplar, and a smidgen of misc other stuff. First shot shows a big poplar over the trail that needed dealing with. Heard there was some excitement with a stuck bar and working in the skidder bucket, but I was working in a different part of the site, and didn't get any evidence of it.

102_3746 (Medium).jpg

Since we're not pro loggers and don't understand colors of tape very well, they flagged off the boundaries and left these to mark leave trees. Even us cavemen understood it:

102_3748 (Medium).JPG

Hit the limit for pics in a post. Be back shortly with more.

Reactions: 5 people

Steve NW WI

Aug 3, 2013
Star Prairie, WI
Edit: think it's on my end, having some computer problems and pics are being a PITA. I'll try and fix things up, and post some more tomorrow night.

Of course we needed a little horsepower to get the job done. We had 3 skidloaders with grapples out there to help, really kept things moving. Thanks to Andydodgegeek, Grandpatractor, and 5RInc for the use of their machines! Here's Beefie (from clear over on the other side of the state) getting ready to help Andy and Sarah unload their skiddy from the trailer:

View attachment 1356

This is a view of the center lot. Pretty decent cutting here, and where I spent most of the day:

View attachment 1357

Wetgunpowder playing with the brand new 6100 Dolmar. I think it got pretty well broken in today:

View attachment 1355

This was the south lot, plenty of underbrush, vines and junk trees. Heck, if it can be cut with a saw, we really don't care much though:

View attachment 1350

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Steve NW WI

Aug 3, 2013
Star Prairie, WI
I can't access the pics in your 2nd post
I was trying something that didnt work right. If I aint dog tired when I get home from work I will try to re post them along with some more.

Awesome way to turn the addiction into something useful. Good on you for helping out those in need.
Thanks, but it wasnt my idea. Grandpatractor and some others have been working with this organization for years. I just tag along.

Chity_Avatar

Mows his grass in 8 minutes.
Feb 15, 2013
North Country New York
I was trying something that didnt work right. If I aint dog tired when I get home from work I will try to re post them along with some more.

Thanks, but it wasnt my idea. Grandpatractor and some others have been working with this organization for years. I just tag along.
Doesn't have to be your idea. Take some credit for being a decent human being and sleep better knowing you helped others.

Philbert

Oct 4, 2013
These grew out of AS GTG's organized by Grandpatractor, WetGunPowder, etc. Those were great events too, with the chance to try old saws, informal racing, general BS'ing, etc.

Denny started his home heating outreach 15 years ago now, and estimates that he has delivered several thousand cords of split and seasoned firewood over that time.

Mix some chainsaw nuts and a good cause together, throw in a few blow down type storms in the area, and you end up with a whole lot of cut, split, and stacked wood. Helps when some show up with skidsteer loaders, log splitters, dump trucks, etc. Pretty sure we have had participants from at least 3 states show up at these.

Philbert

Reactions: 1 person

Steve NW WI

Aug 3, 2013
Star Prairie, WI
Lets try with the pics again. Redoing post #2 here:

Of course we needed a little horsepower to get the job done. We had 3 skidloaders with grapples out there to help, really kept things moving. Thanks to Andydodgegeek, Grandpatractor, and 5RInc for the use of their machines! Here's Beefie (from clear over on the other side of the state) getting ready to help Andy and Sarah unload their skiddy from the trailer:

102_3749 (Medium).JPG

This is a view of the center lot. Pretty decent cutting here, and where I spent most of the day:

102_3751 (Medium).jpg

Just hung up, got a "Flash plugin crashed message", and the next pic quit loading. Trying again in a minute.

Steve NW WI

Aug 3, 2013
Star Prairie, WI
Reloaded my browser, trying again now.

Wetgunpowder giving a brand new 6100 Dolmar a workout. Pretty sure it's well broken in now.

102_3754 (Medium).jpg

Sarahdodgegeek giving a big hydraulic hand with brush stacking. I need a grapple, and a skid to put it on!

102_3753 (Medium).jpg

The south lot. Lots of underbrush and junk wood there, but still fun to cut.

102_3750 (Medium).jpg

Pretty sure this is the North lot, but my memory of what pic was taken where gets a little fuzzy.

102_3752 (Medium).jpg

Grandpatractor getting ready to put the big yellow wedge to use:

102_3757 (Medium).jpg