Quantcast

Is the MS280 a pro saw....??

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
Just wondering. There's one for sale on Craigslist in the area. I always thought it was a 'homeowner' saw but it has the white handle like the other pro saws do. Guess I never paid attention before or noticed. I got thinking after I saw the white handle, now I'm not sure.....

:confused:

mweba

Reaction score
Its a tweener. Stihl tried some new things out with this platform, mag case but clam shell cylinder design. There is some plastic as in the oil tank half is plastic. I did a complete build on one over the AS way if you want to look it up.

I always liked this saw for its power and ultra smooth operation. Does it have the mtronic system or full adjustable?

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score
You mean IEM....??? Yeah it has that.

None of the MS280's were M-Tronic. That's only on the 441......

I think Mitch was referring to the "compensating" carb... Or "Inteli" carb???

All I know about them is they tend to go through intake boots... And I'm currently looking for a flywheel for one...
"Don't ask"...
:thumbsdown:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
Intellicarb is just that little snorkel to help the carb suck air if the filter gets plugged.

IEM is the elimination of the H screw and the carb manages that setting on it's own....

I'm sure Cale will chime in though and set straight anything I may have said wrong......

mweba

Reaction score
Intellicarb is just that little snorkel to help the carb suck air if the filter gets plugged.

IEM is the elimination of the H screw and the carb manages that setting on it's own....

I'm sure Cale will chime in though and set straight anything I may have said wrong......

Yes, correct.....I'm no Stihl head but have been through several of these (straight gased) No I'm not 100% on this but I believe a limiter cable was added to the top av to help out the boots???

I would buy another for the right price...take that for what its worth.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score
Yes, correct.....I'm no Stihl head but have been through several of these (straight gased) No I'm not 100% on this but I believe a limiter cable was added to the top av to help out the boots???

I would buy another for the right price...take that for what its worth.

You ain't got a flywheel laying around for one do ya???

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
http://rochester.craigslist.org/tls/3045021935.html

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score

So would that be the "compensating" carb then? What does IEM stand for???:dunno:

mweba

Reaction score
It looks minty but 380 is a bit steep IMHO. That is used 372 territory or a very nice 346.

Will check, Matt but I do not think so.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
I sold and serviced that saw it's in really nice shape, guy takes good care of his stuff.
If I were telling some to pick up a used saw it's cherry, but 275-325$ is a realistic
price it's worth. I think he bought a MS250 to replace it since he's in 70's and doesn't
cut wood like he use to.

And Jason you're correct on the IEM.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score
I sold and serviced that saw it's in really nice shape, guy takes good care of his stuff.
If I were telling some to pick up a used saw it's cherry, but 275-325$ is a realistic
price it's worth. I think he bought a MS250 to replace it since he's in 70's and doesn't
cut wood like he use to.

And Jason you're correct on the IEM.

So the IEM is not what they refer to as intelicarb?

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
So the IEM is not what they refer to as intelicarb?

The IEM was the predessor of the current M-Tronic stuff.

The IEM uses a dual pole (2 magnets) Flywheel, fuel solenoid, and special coil to manage the fuel.

The coil adjusts the amount of fuel passing through the high circuit on the carb based on RPMs.
It both revs limits the saw and richens/leans the mixture.
Also it has an advance/retard feature on the timing, to allow for easier start up.

The intelle-carb is just a feature on a lot of carbs Stihl uses to compensate for plugged/ restricted air filters.
And just allows the metering diaphragm to use atmospheric pressure to return the diaphragm, rather than the pressure from
air inside the filter.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score
The IEM was the predessor of the current M-Tronic stuff.

The IEM uses a dual pole (2 magnets) Flywheel, fuel solenoid, and special coil to manage the fuel.

The coil adjusts the amount of fuel passing through the high circuit on the carb based on RPMs.
It both revs limits the saw and richens/leans the mixture.
Also it has an advance/retard feature on the timing, to allow for easier start up.

The intelle-carb is just a feature on a lot of carbs Stihl uses to compensate for plugged/ restricted air filters.
And just allows the metering diaphragm to use atmospheric pressure to return the diaphragm, rather than the pressure from
air inside the filter.

Thank you... That was exactly the answer I was looking for... And thus, why you make the big bucks...
You wouldn't by any chance have a flywheel laying around for one of those intelligently toasted gems, would you???
Please??? :notripe:

SawTroll

Reaction score
Not a pro saw, but not junk either - it is a clamshell, and the right side of the case is magnesium, the rest is plastic.

It is quite heavy and bulky for its power, but far from as bad as the 290.

Last edited:

Latest posts