JD440 shop manual

Blazin

Mr. Whiskerz
Jan 13, 2012
Upstate NY
I can copy some of mine if you want,mine is around 1966 vintage.It has the big hubs for the wheels.
Should be the same, this is a later 60's vintage plain ole 440. It's got a popping out of low range issue, and no PTO all of a sudden. If I can't scare up a manual, I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer!

tree monkey

Jan 10, 2012
here
Should be the same, this is a later 60's vintage plain ole 440. It's got a popping out of low range issue, and no PTO all of a sudden. If I can't scare up a manual, I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer!
the pto shaft goes through the tranny and is driven in front of the clutch somewhere. i had the thing apart a few years ago but don't remember how that worked.

Blazin

Mr. Whiskerz
Jan 13, 2012
Upstate NY
syncro or power shift?
mine is a syncro
Syncro. I'm betting it's a snap ring on the PTO shaft, no grinding or any other harsh noise when it happened....just a "TINK". Sucks dork you gotta pull the motor to get into it, but it'll be a good time to get that low range fixed and a few other little issues.

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Jul 31, 2013
Southern Minnesota
Syncro. I'm betting it's a snap ring on the PTO shaft, no grinding or any other harsh noise when it happened....just a "TINK". Sucks dork you gotta pull the motor to get into it, but it'll be a good time to get that low range fixed and a few other little issues.
Not the only time a thirty cent part has caused a thousands of dollars repair-4010's have a bolt in the PTO shaft worth about two bucks from Deere (so its a 45 cent combo), that shears every so often and then no PTO. So you get to split the tractor to fix it.

One of the things that went bye bye on the 4020.

Reactions: 2 people

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Jul 31, 2013
Southern Minnesota
Lottsa things went bye bye between the 10 and 20 series,to bad the sycrosmash wasn't one of them.
Still better than the excuse for a weaker engine, watch as I blow something up when I shift TA.

Actually, the under-direct-over setup on the Oldlivers and following brands I liked the best, if I had to run something other than a Powershift.
And since a Perkins can't/won't lug like either of the other two, you used it more.

Blazin

Mr. Whiskerz
Jan 13, 2012
Upstate NY
Not the only time a thirty cent part has caused a thousands of dollars repair-4010's have a bolt in the PTO shaft worth about two bucks from Deere (so its a 45 cent combo), that shears every so often and then no PTO. So you get to split the tractor to fix it.

One of the things that went bye bye on the 4020.
I'm hoping it's a 2 dollar part, a lot of the older Deere stuff is discontinued. I betting on a bunged up syncro or shift fork for the low range. This machine was headed to get scrapped for these two issues, it's got a fairly new JD reman motor in it that runs like a top, I did the center pins and re-splined all the drive shafts 4 years ago or so. It's worth a shot before it gets parted out.....

Reactions: 1 person

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Jul 31, 2013
Southern Minnesota
I'm hoping it's a 2 dollar part, a lot of the older Deere stuff is discontinued. I betting on a bunged up syncro or shift fork for the low range. This machine was headed to get scrapped for these two issues, it's got a fairly new JD reman motor in it that runs like a top, I did the center pins and re-splined all the drive shafts 4 years ago or so. It's worth a shot before it gets parted out.....
Wish in one box and ✖✖✖✖ in the other, kitty.

http://www.mcgrewtractorparts.com/

Reactions: 1 person

exSW

thinking of old guys’ balls
Oct 8, 2013
Out there
Still better than the excuse for a weaker engine, watch as I blow something up when I shift TA.

Actually, the under-direct-over setup on the Oldlivers and following brands I liked the best, if I had to run something other than a Powershift.
And since a Perkins can't/won't lug like either of the other two, you used it more.
No one but a true green weinie would ever say IH made a weak engine.Also having spent a considerable amount of time on both 1850's and 4020's on the exact same chore on the same ground I can assure you that I reached for the powershift a lot more than I did the Hydrapower.But a 4020 is quite a bit more nimble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rudedog Shop reference in the greater Denver area Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 7
Sawbonz Ocean Container Shop Build Hawgz Back 40 240
Nixon Local shop broken into . Chainsawz 0
echoshawn HomeliteJim is cleaning out his shop... I'm helping For Sale 32
R Dirty shop :( Chainsawz 33
Warped5 Chainsaw 'chop shop' .... Chainsawz 51
Black Dog Chainsaw Mini boiler install in the shop Chainsawz 35
Virgil SHOP BUILDING IDEAS Hawgz Garage 261
N Alaska Saw Shop and Lewis Winch Chainsawz 5
heimannm Bar Shop Chainsawz 85
Duke Thieroff A Very Vintage Stihl Just Came Through The Shop, VIDEO Chainsawz 15
Black Dog Chainsaw My shop is coming together... Chainsawz 42
trx250r180 Shop Photo's Hawgz Garage 37
CHEVYTOWN13 The Ultimate Husqvarna Strato Shock from Summit Saw Shop Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 89
CHEVYTOWN13 The ultimate tree climber's hybrid saw. Another Husqvarna shock from Summit Saw Shop Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 47
BloodOnTheIce Win a 50$ gift certificate to my shop THIS IS NOT A SCAM! Chainsawz 11
sjp work shop manuals Chainsawz 2
Mrs. J Mechanical pencil repair shop The Razorback Lounge 8
mweba Shop improvements Hawgz Garage 21
BloodOnTheIce Stihl Shop Manuals and IPL's For Sale 0
BloodOnTheIce Shop Talk Chainsawz 6
BloodOnTheIce Logging behind the shop. Hawgz Back 40 16
N 200T at Pike county OH Pawn shop For Sale 0
E Pawn shop saw make me laugh Chainsawz 11
BloodOnTheIce A Good Day at The Shop The Razorback Lounge 9
BloodOnTheIce Building a new Saw shop Chainsawz 141
dieselfitter Dodge 47re Automatic To Nv5600 Manual Transmission Conversion Hawgz Garage 110
cat-face timber 88 Ford Diesel Manual Trans, Can't Shift Auto Talk 56
cat-face timber Manual Oiler use question Chainsawz 4
M Homelite 750 manual oiler pushbutton Wanted 5
DefinitiveDave Stihl now makes a manual for dealing with SawHawgz!! Chainsawz 7
young Husqvarna AutoTune Diagnostic Tool Manual Chainsawz 3