Last nights job. Felling cotton wood

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Local farmer job cleaning out his fence line. Eight cotton woods in all. Got some vid and just a couple pics. Homelite410 came up for some parts so he came along. That is Mike standing by the trees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
I did bring a couple saws along but due to time restraints, the 562 was the only one used. I ran a soft wood grind on the 28". If to do it over again, less aggressive would have been better for wet cottonwood. Soaked chips clog everything up. Mike brought a ported 5100S and a new 2171 for break in, both very strong saws.

Three vids. Sorry kinda boring

[video=youtube_share;SW_vrzInIp8]http://youtu.be/SW_vrzInIp8[/video]

This tree was second largest of the bunch and needed the most attention. Spent more time studying than taking video on this one.

[video=youtube_share;qs2Ak4U-AMU]http://youtu.be/qs2Ak4U-AMU[/video]

This vid isn't great due to the distance from the cut but at 45 yards, the camera still shook when she hit. Good sized tree.

[video=youtube_share;mDnL0inHBnE]http://youtu.be/mDnL0inHBnE[/video]

Ran out of day light to film the biggest tree. Going back today to finish up and get some pics.

Reactions: 2 people

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Doesn't take long for cottonwood to get that big.

They suck SO MUCH water out of the ground too. I dropped a few (about 2/3 that size) at my folks house a few years ago. Now that area where the trees used to be is always wet - it's amazing watching the water practically pour out of them once they're down.....

Good stuff Mitch. And nice helper. :)

Reactions: 1 person

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
You are right, it's incredible how much water they pull. The big one laying down by itself stalled my saw out a couple times. Water poured out the kerf, plugging the clip deflector, binding everything up. And the smell is horrible! The farmers want these trees gone in the worse way. No crops grow around them.

I try to bring the kids along as much as possible. Hopefully they will see how hard I have to work for what we enjoy, leading them to get a good education.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Nice, missed this one. I take it the 562 is doing well so far from the looks of it? How does she like running it?
Ya man, I love it. That coming from a guy that jumps saws faster than about anyone. Sounds like Randy will be cutting my new piston soon as well:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Majority of the cuts on this job were chest to head height, if I had to do that with the 372....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WoodChuck'r New Car Last Month. Auto Talk 44
trx250r180 Post the last pic you took with your phone The Razorback Lounge 10606
stihl sawing How long will snelling last on OPE.forum? The Razorback Lounge 457
Modifiedmark Last week of 2014, whats on your bench? Chainsawz 33
A Picked this one up last week Chainsawz 5
Art Vandelay Last card pull before deer season. Firearmz, Hunting, Camping, Fishing, Countryside, 10
T Open to last unread post? Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 2
Modifiedmark Any bets on how long this sucker will last? Chainsawz 28
Windthrow The last oil thread Hawgz Garage 17
Cunty Spunkfuckshitpiss Free at Last! Chainsawz 8
C what saw put your last favorite saw in second place? Chainsawz 47
H got a 026 last week what do you think? Chainsawz 9
S found y'all last week chasing Randy New Memberz Area 6
A Last guy out....turn the lights off !!!! New Memberz Area 7
WoodChuck'r Snipped a few last week. Hawgz Back 40 9
T Some pics from logging last year Hawgz Back 40 1
Wigglesworth Last person to post in this thread wins!! The Razorback Lounge 6150
R In at last. New Memberz Area 25
awol John Deere cs81 Mild Working Port Job (Efco 181) Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 21
axlr8 Anyone want a free port job? Chainsawz 4
cncman08 Stihl 026 rebuild and first porting job Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 83
komatsuvarna Todays Job....explosives The Razorback Lounge 10