Little Pig needs advice from the Herd ... Idling problem after rebuild.

DiggersDad

Reaction score
The results are in ... with pics.

So, the first thing was to tear it down again so I could do a pressure and vacuum test. I got it apart and started the test INCLUDING the carb mounting gasket. I usually omit that part. This is what I use to seal the exhaust port - a piece of inner tube and an aluminum plate.

100_1802.jpg

Here it is in place.

100_1804.jpg

The intake is sealed by placing a piece of innertube between the carb and the gasket.

100_1805.jpg

I applied vacuum with a Miti Vac tester and watched the reading drop.

100_1808.jpg

DiggersDad

Reaction score
My next step was to test without the carb gasket - it held vacuum. So I made a gasket out of some material on hand using leather punches to make the holes.

100_1814.jpg

I put the new gasket in place of the old and prepared another vacuum test.

100_1815.jpg

This time, the vacuum held steady for 5 or 6 minutes.

100_1820.jpg

Whoever diagnosed an air leak was correct. If your diagnosis included suspecting the carburetor gasket, give yourself a pat on the back - you nailed it!

DD

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Reaction score
My next step was to test without the carb gasket - it held vacuum. So I made a gasket out of some material on hand using leather punches to make the holes.

View attachment 4219

View attachment 4220

View attachment 4221

Whoever diagnosed an air leak was correct. If your diagnosis included suspecting the carburetor gasket, give yourself a pat on the back - you nailed it!

DD

Thats some fine punching there. Nice.

Mine usually look Ed Scissorhands used a machete.

DiggersDad

Reaction score
Since I had it apart, I took a picture of my muffler mod. Keep in mind that I uncrimped the muffler, drilled out the holes in the baffle inside, then re-crimped it. I left the stock exit as is and added this to increase flow.

100_1822.jpg

Nothing real spectacular. The holes in the mounting tubes allow the exhaust to flow much more freely. To provide some control I have a number of the little outer covers and drill out the holes as large or small as I think is needed for the particular application. This saw runs pretty fast so I went with holes as large as the inner diameter of the tubes.

When I re-assemble and try it out again I'll give a report on how it runs and especially how it idles.

DD

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score

Same here. I need to get (or make) some larger punches for the center hole on gaskets. IIRc the biggest punch I have is .5".

DiggersDad

Reaction score

Yup, understand. Through the wonder of editing you don't get to see the first attempt I ruined. Sometimes I get it right the first time, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

DD

DiggersDad

Reaction score

AKDoug

Reaction score
Resurrected a Husky 266 with the same fix. It sat for 13 years because of that simple issue.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

leeha

Reaction score

View attachment 4219

View attachment 4220

View attachment 4221

DD

Nice job on the gasket.

And i won't pat myself on the back, :bananacheers:

Lee

trx250r180

The Junk Peddler
Reaction score
This....I have an 028 in the same boat right now but I haven't had time to look for a leak. Stupid things like a cracked impulse fitting on the case......Pressure and vacuum test should find your issue. My 028 is almost 3 turns out on high and just about the same on the low speed and it runs and cuts good but the idle is sporadic and slow to come down.

sounds like the 440 i was running yesterday was about 1 3/4 on low but i could not get idle to come right down ,think i lost a crank seal also

Latest posts