Lowes VS Home Depot

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
They're both the biggest in the business. Some like one more than the other. Some can't stand either. But I'm curious what everyone's take might be on the two biggest home improvement stores. I for one am heavily weighted to Lowes. Home Depot is ✖✖✖✖. They've always been ✖✖✖✖. And they will always be ✖✖✖✖. Ugh I hate even walking in to Home Depot. The place I work for has a Home Depot account, and I do some work at a couple of friends places, they also live right next to Home Depot and the closest Lowes is a good 30 minutes away from them. So Sometimes I just have to go in, I usually dread having to do so.

Building materials are generally the same from both stores - it's not like I'm suggesting that Lowes has better drywall than Home Depot, and all the employees are just as dumb at both stores. And I'm not even saying I couldn't do the things I do by going to Home Depot instead of Lowes. I just can't stand the layout of the Home Depot stores. Sometimes you'll find the tub/shower and bathroom sink/vanity isle right in the dead center of the lawn and garden equipment, or the hardware halfway into the lumber and the other half into the paint section. Ugh good grief I get so frustrated walking in there. Nor can I stand the disorganization that exists in every frikkin' Home Depot I walk into. They're all the same - there's pallets of stuff just set in a spot where they clearly don't belong, products are always scattered and unorganized on the shelves, lots of times prices are'nt in the right spot or non existent, lots of times the products have run out and they're on a pallet 20' above your head - their stores are just usually sloppy and not all that taken care of when it comes to keeping stuff on the shelves and organized.

Home Depot has two things going for them IMO - they carry Klein Tools and Ridgid pipe wrenches and other Ridgid plumbing tools. Lowes used to carry both at one point, but for whatever reason Klein and Ridgid are no longer sold there anymore. Rarely I'll toss money at Home Depot for Klein or Ridgid tools - most often I'll order whatever I need directly from Klein, Ridgid, or Amazon.

Okay. I've cried enough about more nothingness. Now it's everyone elses turn (if they have such an opinion). :)

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs. J

May 20, 2012
I love Lowes!! One of my favorite places to go. I like to dream of all the things we are going to do to our house when the kids leave and we have lots of money. :)

We don't have a Home Depot close by. We will occasionally stop at one when we venture out to the big city. ;) I feel lost and confused while we are there. We also have a menards in the big city. I LOVE menards!! :)

Reactions: 1 person

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Of all the window installs I've done over the years, the best made windows hands down are made by Pella. Build quality and materials used are second to none.

Love them Pella windows. Everytime I install / instpect / use them, I always think "Holy cow these just make sense."

Reactions: 2 people

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
U can close the poll now. I've voted...

My paycheck pretty much comes from lowes. There our biggest customer.

Sold yer soul eh? :stirthepot:

Nice mom and pop business that can get or has everything the big two have. Service the product as well. Spend my cash there.

Reactions: 5 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Hardware stores and local building supply companies surround me, and they beat the box stores on everything. I sit in a nice comfy chair and tell them what I want, they price it up, pull it from the warehouse and have me drive to the loading door where it is all ready to go into the truck.

That said, a buddy of mine lives at Home Depot buying all their stupid crappy chit and drags me along often. Hate it. Can't stand the place. Same with lowes. I have no preference of either of them. Their "lumber" is all overpriced and poor quality. It's like the local supply houses get first pick then the rest goes to the box stores :lol:

Reactions: 4 people

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
I go to Lowes for some stuff. I go to a local place for lumber. They just don't have all the small stuff that Lowes and home depot carries.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
For 75% of the stuff we use around the shop or farm comes from Wards in Honeoye, or Smith's in Lakeville.
But sometimes Lowes just has a price that no one can beat, and end up going there.

Lowes and Home Depot are different side of the same coin, but in general Lowes is better across the board.

We have two customers who work at Lowes in the and they send a lot of repairs and parts sales our way.

Reactions: 3 people

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
Do you any of you guys do warranty service for the box stores? We did warranty repairs for Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, and Bi-Mart. Lowes was the best out of all of them- they paid immediately and came to pick up their equipment usually within two-three days. Home Depot was the worst- they'd drag their feet to pay and their equipment would sit here a month or two. Lowes never quibbled about the costs and gladly paid book-recommended service times and labor rates. The general manager at Home Depot was constantly arguing with us about service times and labor rates and sometimes he would let the equipment sit in our yard so long that we'd have to service the fuel system again when they came to pick it up. We eventually cut ties with Home Depot and that got them all upset.

procarbine2k1

Jan 10, 2012
Home Depot has done some fine things for our troops, and act happy to give me a vet discount. Their service is far better than our local Menards, and on par/ close to Lowes. I do like the way Lowes is laid out a little better.

stihl023/5

BoobsRus
Jul 31, 2013
We have Lowes HD and Menards so it boils down to who has what I want at the time.

procarbine2k1

Jan 10, 2012
We have Lowes HD and Menards so it boils down to who has what I want at the time.

Menards here has a heck of a selection, and their prices are typically the best around... but their service has been less than desirable the last few times I was there..

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Sep 29, 2013
surrey bc can
lowes is new here, haven't been, will some day. hd is less than a mile away... go there for misc stuff. paint, etc. am usually one to use smaller shop/store if I can...

HD was not a success in this area but they tried it ,only lasted maybe a year and a half .

We have Lowes and Menards which you can't hardly find stuff at Menards because of the way the store is laid out .

Quite frankly as far as lumber I buy mine through a local yard which is only slightly higher in price but it's all premium stuff .It's not that warped twisty sled runner type framing lumber you have to sort 50 pieces to find 20 that are fit to use.

Actually after years of being a field sup for an electrical contractor I found I could cut deals on supplys .For example I can get premium roofing material from a roofing supply company about 10-15 percent less than I can through Lowes .Plumbing ,electrical supplies same deal .You know a penny here,a nickle there it all adds up .On large items or quantity I haven't paid retail prices in decades nor do I plan to .Somebody will deal with you .Money talks ,BS walks .

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Weird Uncle Willie's basement
Home Depot tried to make it around here but ended tits up.

Lowes is ok around here.

I do all my shopping at Menards. They generally have everything I need at way better prices than Lowes. Our Menards even has a nice grocery section. If my wife asks me do get some groceries it's off to Menards I go.

There are a few Do-It Best stores in our area, but generally the quality of the stuff sucks, and they are expensive.

Dingeryote

Oct 5, 2013
We have to drive 40-50 miles to get to a Home Despot or Blowes. Blowes is laid out better, but has the same Chineese ✖✖✖✖. Menards moved in to town, and put a crimp on the local yards at first, then folks noticed how ✖✖✖✖ty Menards lumber is. Why the ✖✖✖✖ doesn't the return key work on this forum?

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Weird Uncle Willie's basement
We have to drive 40-50 miles to get to a Home Despot or Blowes. Blowes is laid out better, but has the same Chineese ✖✖✖✖. Menards moved in to town, and put a crimp on the local yards at first, then folks noticed how ✖✖✖✖ty Menards lumber is. Why the ✖✖✖✖ doesn't the return key work on this forum?

Is JavaScript off by chance on your puter?

Yesterday I was having troubles with the return button here, I turned JavaScript back on and it worked