Mac 610

cat-face timber

Recycled Tampon. Just wring 'em out.
Reaction score
So why the hatred of Mac 610?
How do these saws take to being MMed?

Heavy and not alot of power, but the Cylinder is horizontal...

Sprintcar

mf'er on the other site
Reaction score
I don't know if there is really a hatred of these saws, they are kinda a pain to work on but a whole series of this design was manufactured by McCulloch to include;

Timberbear
Papabear
Mamabear, and others. They were sold both as Craftsman and Monkey Wards saws.

This was one of the last horozontal cylinder design that was mass produced. They early versions that had metal starter paws that were screwed in instead of the later design that had plastic paws that were riveted in the flywheel. This series of saws had very large clutches that were hand me down designs for some of the best McCullochs ever made. I have seen truck loads of these saws discarded for simple fixes like the starter paws, carb kits, fuel lines and things as simple as putting a new rope on the starter. I have given away maybe a dozen of these saws to needy families that still burn wood, but could not afford to buy a new saw and most if not all of then are still in use. They are o.k. for bucking, not very fast but do have good torque in the 60cc class. These saws can be summed up as;

Built like a tank,
Ugly as sin,
heavy as xxxx,

Good ole saws.

The reliabilty of these saws if taken care of is pretty good, not the first saw I would grab, but pretty good none the less. Sides that there is about 8 gagillon of them produced, parts are everywhere.

Last edited:

Fish

Still Instigating
Reaction score
The lovers of these saws can be identified easily......

Their right ears are encrusted with dried blood......

mcbob

Drongo
Reaction score
One of the best home-owner / firewood saws ever built dead ✖✖✖✖ easy to work on and will last forever ................ yeah

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score
I have a strong dislike for this series. Dislike the looks. Dislike the feel. Dislike the weight (for the displacement). Can't stand the starters....

They're good reliable beater saws, but I greatly prefer a 10-series saw over them. The ONLY improvement in these over the 10-series is that the chain tensioner is in the bar pad instead of the clutch cover....

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score
What bars will work on my Mac 610?
Husky?

What length would you use for bucking Pine?

Not Husky. They take the same bars as the 10-series Mac. Original mounts were Oregon D276 and Windsor MXT. Currently produced mount for these is the Oregon D176 Echo/Poulan/10-series Mac. You can also use a Homelite XL-series D096/D196/UXL/TXL bar if you use stud spacers (3/8 coil spring or 'S' type). Best bar on these is 20".

Mac 6-10

Reaction score
So why the hatred of Mac 610?
How do these saws take to being MMed?

Heavy and not alot of power, but the Cylinder is horizontal...

Whoa! I was scared eveybody had some hate against me!:D
f
that series needs alot of compression to run well too. I agree with Aaron. The 10 series is a much better saw but a mcbrick will still keep your firewood pile growing.

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
I have a strong dislike for this series. Dislike the looks. Dislike the feel. Dislike the weight (for the displacement). Can't stand the starters....

They're good reliable beater saws, but I greatly prefer a 10-series saw over them. The ONLY improvement in these over the 10-series is that the chain tensioner is in the bar pad instead of the clutch cover....

Hear, hear!

I have a very, very strong dislike for these also for all the reasons that have been posted. The plastic stud in the starter that a plastic pulley rides on was a joke. The oilers are not very good either and everyone I had the oil tank leaked to beat hell as well. A simple fix is to make a freakin gasket for the tank, but not that easy to actually install.

The way I see it is that is the saw series that pretty much started McCulloch on a real downward spiral. That was there new saw with antivibe buit in if from the start, not some added on stuff like there other ones. They missed the boat badly compared to the other manufactures offerings at that time.

They sold a bunch of them no doubt, but at a discounted price that probably didn't help there bottom line.

They also weighed about the same as some 80-90cc saws from a earlier time.

They were also metric saws.

Attachments

• Mac Timberbear PHO dry (Medium).JPG
    Mac Timberbear PHO dry (Medium).JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

homelitejim

Reaction score
A MM is not needed as the muffler is completely empty with a large screened opening. These saws are easy to fix and with the leaky oilier diaphragm running across a burnt up saw is rare. They start easily and will pull and oil 28" bars.

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
A MM is not needed as the muffler is completely empty with a large screened opening. These saws are easy to fix and with the leaky oilier diaphragm running across a burnt up saw is rare. They start easily and will pull and oil 28" bars.

I can't believe I'm defending the honor of a freaking MS290.:facepalm:

And pull a 28" bar? Yeah Ok, maybe in balsa wood. I have had about 5 or 6 of them saws myself and no way would I say they would pull a 28" bar in hardwood ok.

They start OK I guess when that plastic recoil ain't hanging up, I give you that. Might or might not get a truck load of wood cut up with one though the way the electronic coils went out on them. To each there own though Jim, as long as you like yours thats all that matters.

Attachments

• 029 super weight (Medium).JPG
    029 super weight (Medium).JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 65

homelitejim

Reaction score
I actually don't own one. It will pull and oil a 28" bar better than a 290. Saw king has a video of a 610 pulling a 28 and not everyone lives in the land of hardwoods.

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
I actually don't own one. It will pull and oil a 28" bar better than a 290. Saw king has a video of a 610 pulling a 28 and not everyone lives in the land of hardwoods.

So how many have you owned? You seen a video? :happywink:

homelitejim

Reaction score
I've had a couple go through the shop but the saw is not worth keeping.

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
I've had a couple go through the shop but the saw is not worth keeping.

Sorry if I seem confused, in one moment you seem to be singing praise to them, and then in the next breath you say that saw isn't worth keeping?

I believe your account has been hijacked by a woman. :dunno:

homelitejim

Reaction score
They are not as bad as some proclaim but they are not a 262xp Husqvarna they are a footnote in history as a popular firewood saw.

Latest posts