Quantcast

Mac coil needed

Al Smith

Reaction score
Northwestern Ohio in the middle of a giant corn fi
I don't have one I want to part with but for general information that model uses the same coil as a points type 10-10 ,7-10 SP81 etc .It will be either # 87426 or 87426A .However it's very rare for a points type McCulloch coil to go bad .Most generally it's the condensor that causes the problems FWIW .

Last edited:

Al Smith

Reaction score
Northwestern Ohio in the middle of a giant corn fi
Not that isn't on a saw.FWIW any condenser that will fit in the space provided will work.

More times than not if a coil has continuity across both the primary and secondary it can be assumed good .

Shine to points up real good ,set them at 18 thou .The coil air at 10 to 12 thou . You might just get a little spark .

To test a condensor use a volt ohmmeter .First put it on resistance and touch the leads across the wire and the case of the condensor .Then put it on volts DC and touch the leads .If it's good you will see the meter pointer move then decrease .Some digital meters have capacitor checker built into them .Fact I have a Fluke that does but it's an expensive SOB .One of those cheapie analog 10 dollar Radio Shack deals would work .

Last edited:

Chity_Avatar

Mows his grass in 8 minutes.
Reaction score
Not that isn't on a saw.FWIW any condenser that will fit in the space provided will work.

More times than not if a coil has continuity across both the primary and secondary it can be assumed good .

Shine to points up real good ,set them at 18 thou .The coil air at 10 to 12 thou . You might just get a little spark .

To test condensor use a volt ohmmeter .First put it on resistance and touch the leads across the wire and the case the case of the condensor .Then put it on volts DC and touch the leads .If it's good you will see the meter pointer move then decrease .Some digital meters have capacitor checker built into them .Fact I have a Fluke that does but it's an expensive SOB .One of those cheapie analog 10 dollar Radio Shack deals would work .

That is exactly what I did. It was bad. I stole one out of my Homelite Super XL as a test and it is running. Vid is posted in the chainsaw section. Thanks for the help.

bplust

Reaction score
I have a complete ignition for that saw. PM me if you're interested.

Bryan