mac vs pc? yes i realize...

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Sep 29, 2013
surrey bc can
this could be koolaid vs creamsicle.... have killed 3 pc laptops last 10 or so yrs... thinkin about mac. are they all theyre cracked up to be? big diff in price worth it? hopin to hear from longtime mac owners/users... TIA...

Reactions: 1 person

Freehand

Bump-Shizzy
Apr 7, 2013
Bitches Be Trippin
Had my mac for six years now. All bull✖✖✖✖ aside the software is bulletproof, the hardware is decidedly not. I've replaced a video card and a hard drive in the last three years at around $600. Beware Macs hate wood ash and wood dander, both times they cracked mine open the found a "very fine white dust" that led to overheating, destroying said components.

I have an elaborate air filter set up on mine now, so far so good. Get the extended warranty, you'll need it.

Reactions: 3 people

H 2 H

Oct 2, 2013
PNW
I have traveled with my pc lap top for 4 years in some of the dustiest places you every seen (dirt race tracks) from Iowa to here on the west coast - it worked till that lighting storm last week

But my home computer is a mac - it also worked till that lighting storm last week

Reactions: 4 people

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Staff member
Oct 22, 2012
Fredericksburg, Va
What are you looking to do with it? Do you have software that you need to run or are you just using it to get on the internets and check email?

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Sep 29, 2013
surrey bc can
What are you looking to do with it? Do you have software that you need to run or are you just using it to get on the internets and check email?
am not doin anything 'cept email and this sorta [hangin here] thing. have a lot of pics, tunes... between last 2 pcs, lost abt 6000 pics. don't think about backup, til its too late... freehand, what you said makes me wanna stick w/"disposable" pcs... this one is out in shop a lot... fwiw, hd in this is about 1/2 full...

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Weird Uncle Willie's basement
We don't own a computer, but when/if we ever get internet at our house I believe we will get a Mac.

My wife has a iPhone, my next phone will be one. She has a iPod and a iPad. We'd get a Mac just so everything talks to each other.

At our feed mill we have a PC. We figure on having to replace it for sure every other year because of the dust it ingests.

LarryTheCableGuy

Backstabbing Oregon Donor
Sep 27, 2013
My wife bought an iMac a couple of months ago, we have both had only PCs before that. We both also have iPhones and iPads - it's really sweet the way all of that chit talks to each other and stuff. It is *really* nicely designed - no big box, just a monitor, a mouse and ONE cord for power.

I'm using a five year old Windblows PC that I freaking hate - when it goes tits up I will replace it with a Mac also. Boot time on PCs has always sucked as have the reboots for stupid updates and stuff - the Apple stuff just seems to work - always.

Freehand

Bump-Shizzy
Apr 7, 2013
Bitches Be Trippin
My wife bought an iMac a couple of months ago, we have both had only PCs before that. We both also have iPhones and iPads - it's really sweet the way all of that chit talks to each other and stuff. It is *really* nicely designed - no big box, just a monitor, a mouse and ONE cord for power.

I'm using a five year old Windblows PC that I freaking hate - when it goes tits up I will replace it with a Mac also. Boot time on PCs has always sucked as have the reboots for stupid updates and stuff - the Apple stuff just seems to work - always.

Apple updates the ✖✖✖✖ out of their OS, plus the flash players and add-ons trying to update all the time I can't tell a difference there.

On just about anything else I would tell you extended warranties are a waste of time and money, but not with Macs. If you didn't get it when you bought the machine, go in and do it now. One $300 component will pay for it, trust me.

For those that like the thrill of cracking open an $1800 machine, here's the DIY…….

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3w6E2_XqaBw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Sep 29, 2013
surrey bc can
some good points here...may have to look at macs at least. id have to restrain myself if it f'd up... heres one I had "fixed". got home & put the disc in & looked at "please wait" for 3 1/2 hrs... wouldn't do anything... got a few sparks out of it before it died...
025.jpg026.jpg

Reactions: 9 people

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Jan 10, 2012
kentucky
am not doin anything 'cept email and this sorta [hangin here] thing. have a lot of pics, tunes... between last 2 pcs, lost abt 6000 pics. don't think about backup, til its too late... freehand, what you said makes me wanna stick w/"disposable" pcs... this one is out in shop a lot... fwiw, hd in this is about 1/2 full...
you know the hard drives in both PC and MAC come from the same OEMs. so it wont matter what your using if you dont back up. believe me, i see just as many MACs with bad hard drives as PCs percentage wise.

if is a mechanical drive it will fail, esp in laptops.

Reactions: 6 people

J. R. "Bob" Dobbs

Jan 25, 2016
PC

mac is way overpriced for what you get. The hardware isnt better than the hardware they use on PC just more expensive. If you want the mac os you can install it on a PC and get 2x the specs with the money you save. That being said if you dont need a supercomputer to play duke nukem at maximum resolution with 200 FPS and just want something that works nicely out of the box a mac is nice just expensive. Still wise to backup important data either way. An external hard drive is plug and play and can save you a lot of trouble.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Majorpayne The Razorback Lounge 34
Eccentric The Razorback Lounge 14
2 Wanted 0
T Chainsawz 19
cat-face timber Chainsawz 39