Maine Camping and Charity GTG?

PB

Nov 5, 2012
I love the holidays, but sitting here with a turkey waiting to be fried, a warm fire, a good house, and being generally lucky makes me think of those families really in need. It gets cold in Maine, if you didn't know, and it can cost a lot of money to heat a house. I have the tools and some time to cut some wood for people that need it. It is kind of late in the year to do anything about it now, but I will try to donate some wood next year. Would there be any interest in having a GTG in northern/central Maine next spring/summer to cut wood and donate it? It would be more lumberjacking than cookie cutting, so it will actually be productive ;). There is timberland that allows you to cut firewood and camp on the property with permits. I was thinking it would be fun to camp out overnight so people don't have to travel all day to work. The place I was thinking of would be just north of Sebec, ME.

Any interest?

Reactions: 3 people

PB

Nov 5, 2012
I should also mention that we would most likely be camping on a remote pond and there are dozens of other ponds/lakes within the area for fishermen. Other than Sebec and Moosehead lake, I don't think there is a boat launch (or a road) at most of the water.

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. I may even get a few other guys to come, hopefully one will have a mod saw by then so he'll just be itching to cut something, and another buddy just loves camping so he may go for that and to hang out. I love this idea.

HEAVYFUEL

Jan 10, 2012
Charity cuts are a riot! I've lost count of how many we have had, maybe 10? We have connections with a church group that delivers to the elderly or disabled. They set us up pretty good.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Nice. If we can get enough people to make it worthwhile, I will find out what charities there are that deal in firewood. I am not particularly religious but I think it may have to be a church simply for convenience. If there are strong objections to that I can try to find a secular, non-affiliated charity.

Sebec is beautiful. :) That is where I cut all my firewood. May be out there on Saturday if the weather holds.

Oh, I should be clear that this won't be a show up and run chainsaws kind of event. We will have to work to get the wood to where we can cut it up. Work can be fun though. :)

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
The charity isn't the big deal to me, it's the recipients of the wood. Don't wanna see it going to $300k homes to heat their wine tastings :huh:

Work is good, don't mind it. I can see what I can do to come up with some sort of equipment for skidding. My wheeler would work great, need something for the log front though to keep it from digging in to make life a little easier.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
The charity isn't the big deal to me, it's the recipients of the wood. Don't wanna see it going to $300k homes to heat their wine tastings :huh:

Work is good, don't mind it. I can see what I can do to come up with some sort of equipment for skidding. My wheeler would work great, need something for the log front though to keep it from digging in to make life a little easier.
Wheeler would work great on the smaller stuff. I have been using my truck to pull logs to the edge of the road. Most of the wood is stuff that won't go through the log processor and butt logs so it is usually 18"+. Pulling those logs with a wheeler is probably not possible. I have been trying to find a used or cheap lewis winch but they are few and far between. We would need to get a splitter or two to get it split and a couple of trailers to haul it all. I can get a splitter and have a small trailer but the more the better. Some locations you could fill a dump truck in an hour but other places and later in the year you have to work a little harder to get a cord.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
This has certainly been in the back of my mind for the past couple of months. When we get to better camping weather we will have to get some more solid plans.

Reactions: 2 people

derwin65

Mar 5, 2013
Go outdoor for vacations and holidays are very good habit, Vacations are the excellent resource to have fun and satisfaction. Along with that, they endow us with a comfortable, stress-free and relaxing atmosphere away from febrile schedule of daily.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
So, what would be a good general date for the this GTG? Field season will take me into mid to late June so, for me, early to mid July would be best. Just throwing some ideas out there.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Cutting in 90º in the horrifying humidity of July.....!?

I'm all about charity cuts but I'm a whiny little girl when it comes to hot weather. :cry2:
Haha! I know the feeling but it won't be 90 up here, 75 is more likely. There's nothing wrong with cutting firewood in a tank top, shorts and sandals as long as you have eye protection. :) I am going to be balls to the wall this spring with field work, cutting my own wood, and helping with the baby. Field season will hit a low spot in June and will pick up again at the end of July as harvest begins. So, for me, it would have to be July or October...ish. Unless we want to try for April but it will be cold and muddy. There will be mud and lots of it. Did I mention that it will be muddy? :)

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
No way I can make it to a GTG in April - I'm already headin' to Mizzurruh for Hedgefest. :rock:

If October works, you oughta talk with MossMan and you should be the d00d to host the big ole Maine GTG this fall. You'll have mo people, thusly having mo cut wood fo' chariteh. :trophy:

Somethin' tuh think about. :)

PB

Nov 5, 2012
That would be awesome but more responsibility and planning than I can handle this year. The wood cutting area is 40 miles from the house and would require me to drag logs out to a landing and hope that no other woodchuck gets the wood before the GTG. I cut firewood on private land that is open to everyone and there really is no way to plan for it without the risk of it being all for nothing.

Not to mention that I think doing this would be best for a small crowd. The wood is scattered throughout a few thousand acres and requires moving around a lot. It would be okay to have a base camp but then we would have to load logs and haul them back and then cut them up.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
As soon as the spring season hits I'm usually busy til September - unless it doesn't rain and grass halts.

That doesn't mean I can't make it, but I'm more on the lines of needing a date so I can plan around it rather than picking a date for everyone else. No weekend is any easier than another for me, case by case basis. But I'm definitely down for making it happen.