Make Shift Mill

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
Well I can't afford one right now so I decided to try something. I was in a local tool store last week and seen a two way vise and a light bulb went off. So for my birthday my wife bought it for me (70.00). Saturday I went back and bought some end mills. I gave it try last night and it works OK, it should get me by with some things that I had to improvise with and use the hand mill (file and grinder). I thought I would share my findings so far for the others that can't afford to by a mill yet. I have a idea for a depth gage. I'm going to try and take a digital caliper and make a clamp on the lathe that clamps on the quill and the other end (digital end) fixed to a bracket on the casting of the drill press. I seen a set up like tha on a Bridge port.

Reactions: 2 people

al h

Jan 10, 2012
That's the go Frank.

I have a pole as a support protruding down from the table into the base for added stability.

I bought this drill press with table for $150 from an old fella dying of emphysema many years ago.

Reactions: 2 people

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
That's an interesting idea. Never thought about that. :thumbsup:

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
That's the go Frank.

I have a pole as a support protruding down from the table into the base for added stability.

I bought this drill press with table for $150 from an old fella dying of emphysema many years ago.

That's is interesting that you mentioned that strut from the base to the table. I was looking at that too. I get a little bit of vibrations that I believe is caused from the table and was wondering how I could shore that up. Did you have problems before putting that little strut in? Chattering? Did it cure it?

al h

Jan 10, 2012
It was already in it. It came as you see it. The old fella made everything. I would think that the chattering would possibly be coming from any slack in your twoway. You might have to shim that tighter if possible. I have a little chattering but My twoway needs a tighten up. The drill press table is super rigid and can still go up and down but not side ways with this setup. He hasn't made it possible to remove the pole as it's an interference press fit. I'll get some close ups of that setup for you today.

Gink

Jan 9, 2012
Helmer, Indiana
GOOD JOB on the mill/drill frank . I'm betting between this and a lathe a guy can do almost anything he will ever need to do.
I've thought about trying to find a better mill but I just dont use one enough to justify it.
Where did you get your vise ? most of them I see are lose peaces of junk .
I picked it up as some local tool supplier, it is chinese but seems tight. It has adjustment to take the slack out.