Quantcast

Makita 6401, sugihara 32" bar, how long of a chain?

shootingarts

Reaction score
South of the Border, the Mississippi Border that I
The title pretty well covers it. Bought a sugi bar but getting information is tough. Just bought from where hev sent me. 32" Sugi bar on a 6401 Makita(Dolmar 6400), 3/8" pitch, how many drive teeth do I need?

I like full chisel chain but have been out of the loop awhile. Any better options than Stihl RSC? I know skip tooth chain might be recommended but then what excuse would I have to big bore this saw??

Hu

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score
True...................but Sugis sometimes have weird DL counts. 'Standard' DL count for most 32" bars is 105-106DL...

shootingarts

Reaction score
this is what I was wondering . . .

True...................but Sugis sometimes have weird DL counts. 'Standard' DL count for most 32" bars is 105-106DL...

This is what I was wondering about. Looks like 105 DL is most likely but I will have to order a loop or two of chain for the bar and want to get it right the first time. My local dealer is a good guy but was a little unhappy when I ordered two chains awhile back and his distributer sent the wrong chains. I don't want to be in the position where I order the wrong ones, I'll be the one eating them this time.

Hu

shootingarts

Reaction score
got the bar in, 105DL

The bar came in yesterday, 105 drive links so that is the final word on that bar anyway! Ordered .063 gauge drive teeth so I had to special order the chain at my local Stihl dealer, Eastside Garage in Amite LA. Good folks. I have a loop of RS square ground and a loop of RS half skip square ground for noodling on the way.

Hu

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Reaction score
The bar came in yesterday, 105 drive links so that is the final word on that bar anyway! Ordered .063 gauge drive teeth so I had to special order the chain at my local Stihl dealer, Eastside Garage in Amite LA. Good folks. I have a loop of RS square ground and a loop of RS half skip square ground for noodling on the way.

Hu
Was touching up some 105DL loops of square tonight. May all of your cuts be free of metal and rocks....my chains seem to be wonderful at finding both metal and rocks burried deep in the stem.

Steve NW WI

Converted to the Dark Side
Reaction score
yeah, like 111dl
My 34" bar that I use when needed on my 7300 calls for 110, when new they're dang short, one I had to slip on the rim and mount the rim to the drum when new to get it on the saw. I probably shoulda started with 111 and took one out when I ran out of adjustment.

shootingarts

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Jimmy,

When I was hunting square tooth chain I couldn't get any and I didn't want to try to file without some factory teeth to go by. I did buy all three files I know of to sharpen square ground chain so now that square ground is all I can get I should be ready. I may experiment with a magnifying camera like the doctors use whittling to sharpen accurately. Got it already for other things, pretty nice to remove splinters.

I'm hoping these are my chains and bar to treat nice. One major annoyance, bugs and ants sometimes have a tree more dirt than wood. Of course I'm on a 200 year old farm and the farmers were big on throwing anything hard in the roots or forks of a tree. Never know what is completely hidden!

got a 36" husky bar, 404 tip. found 3 dl counts online. none were correct.

Rexactly why I came here! AS used to be good too but flakes out on me every few minutes so trying to visit makes me crazy!

Steve,

I took one look at your avatar and realized how much I missed my overs and unders. A half dozen more looks and I realized how much I missed my shotguns too. Can't wingshoot anymore.

Hu

Latest posts