McCulloch 7-10 for sale....worth a look ?

nitehawk55

Reaction score
Yes. They're a great saw, and that's a good price for a runner in that shape. Grab it ifya can. You'll be surprised when you run it.

Unfortunately it's about 3 hours away . I checked out some you tube vids and they look like a good working saw plus are not too heavy for a 70cc saw of that time period .
I head up to northern ON a week from Friday , going to see if I can arrange something as it's about an hour further east that I travel before I swing north .

It's not like I need a saw...hahahaha !! I do like some of the old ones though , I do have 5 old Pioneers and a Lombard , guess it's time to get a Mac and maybe someday a nice Homelite (I'm sure you have some good suggestions there) but I don't know much about their models . I favour saws in the 60-80+cc range .
I'm afraid my years with Stihl gave me tunnel vision to a point :dunno:

I wonder how they are for parts ?

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's about 3 hours away . I checked out some you tube vids and they look like a good working saw plus are not too heavy for a 70cc saw of that time period .
I head up to northern ON a week from Friday , going to see if I can arrange something as it's about an hour further east that I travel before I swing north .

It's not like I need a saw...hahahaha !! I do like some of the old ones though , I do have 5 old Pioneers and a Lombard , guess it's time to get a Mac and maybe someday a nice Homelite (I'm sure you have some good suggestions there) but I don't know much about their models . I favour saws in the 60-80+cc range .
I'm afraid my years with Stihl gave me tunnel vision to a point :dunno:

I wonder how they are for parts ?

Air filters, fuel lines, and carb kits are still made for them. Everything else is still easy to find. Tons of NOS parts for them floating around. Do like how an 038Mag/MagII runs? A healthy 7-10A will run right with one (if not beat it), and is within 1/2 pound or so of it. They're an old design, but still usable for real work. If you don't like the saw you'll be able to more than get your money back out of it. Plenty of 7-10A fans around.

nitehawk55

Reaction score
Thanks Aaron , may be worth pursuing . I found this ad as well and in the same area . If I could swing east and then north by a different route to get to my sons I could stop at both places . I'm not sure of the models here but he looks to have the one Mac on the right looks real clean . Some others here too . Have a look and see what is worth looking at if any . Thanks .

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/kawartha-lakes/chain-saws/585980448

And yes , the 038 Mag was one of my favs although I don't own one right now . I can remember when the last one left the warehouse , doesn't seem that long ago .

Last edited:

nitehawk55

Reaction score
Sent an Email to the fellow with the 7-10 . He really isn't that far east of 400 Hwy , not nearly as far as I thought .
Going to see what I can arrange .

If I don't like it you got first dibs ! :wave:

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score
Thanks Aaron , may be worth pursuing . I found this ad as well and in the same area . If I could swing east and then north by a different route to get to my sons I could stop at both places . I'm not sure of the models here but he looks to have the one Mac on the right looks real clean . Some others here too . Have a look and see what is worth looking at if any . Thanks .

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/kawartha-lakes/chain-saws/585980448

And yes , the 038 Mag was one of my favs although I don't own one right now . I can remember when the last one left the warehouse , doesn't seem that long ago .

You're welcome. The saws in that ad look to be in very good shape. Nothing there is really big ticket. He does say to "please call" as he "wants to sell soon". To me that mean's he's willing to deal.

-The new XL30 is neat (because it's new) but still not worth a whole lot, even on ebay.

-The 10-10A (black top on the left) is a very good 54cc saw. Worth somewhere around $50-$100 on today's market, but a better saw than saws like a PM610 or 029 that get much more $ for some reason.

-The PM10-10 will be a bit heavier than the 7-10A (because of the long muffler guard clutch cover with chainbrake) and with less muscle. They're both built on the same chassis, but the PM10-10 is 54cc (same as the 10-10A which is lighter). You could put the chainbrake clutch cover from this saw onto the 7-10A if you feel the need. A $75-$150 saw on today's market. If it was a PM10-10S, 7-10A, or PM700 in that shape it'd get $200-$300 on feebay.

-The XL-76 is a very strong 57cc saw, and surprisingly light for the time period. Don't see those much south of the border. In that shape it'd probably get $150-$200 on feebay.

-The VI-130 (which he calls a 'W130') is basically the AV ('Vibration Isolated') version of that XL-76. Also don't see those much south of the border. I just got a VI-123 (basically the same saw) in a batch of used saws, but it's not near as nice as this one. Would get the same $ (or a tad more) on feebay as the XL-76.

-The two Poulans are your basic cheap beater saw. Not worth $75. They're $40-$75 CraigsList resale saws.

-The Husky 50 is a good saw. They have a following. The chainbrake handle would be easy to find used from Bplust (here and on ebay or Duke Thieroff (here, and at sawsalvage.com). That saw (with a good brake handle) would probably get $100-$150 on feebay. Maybe a tad more.

I'd suggest you try to get a 'package discount' on the 10-10A, PM10-10, XL-76, VI-130, and Husky 50. He probably would only do a package deal for all of them (that's common). If you had to buy the whole package you'd have to figure on selling the two Poulans on CL for $40-$50-ish each, and the 50 for $100-$150 or so on CL or feebay.

Otherwise, pick one or two (or three) that suit your fancy. The two 57cc Homelites and the two Macs are the best of that lot.

I don't need any more saws (although I'd be interested in the 7-10A). Just got a buttload of 'em in a package deal from an estate sale. Wanted to buy seven (plus a Homelite water pump).............and ended up with the guy's whole 'collection'.....

Last edited:

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score
Sent an Email to the fellow with the 7-10 . He really isn't that far east of 400 Hwy , not nearly as far as I thought .
Going to see what I can arrange .

If I don't like it you got first dibs ! :wave:

Sweet. I'll be interested if you aren't smitten with it.

nitehawk55

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Aaron , as I said I'm not really in the know about saws outside of Stihl . Funny thing is I was a Homelite dealer for a couple years in the lat 70's into 81 and sold Partner as well which to be honest I was smitten with more .

I was a Lawnboy dealer as well , I have a few of those and use a couple full time :)

nitehawk55

Reaction score
Bah !!....he's got a guy coming Friday to look at it but says I can have next chance if it doesn't sell which it likely will .

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score
Bah !!....he's got a guy coming Friday to look at it but says I can have next chance if it doesn't sell which it likely will .

That sucks. Been there more than a few times. Hopefully the other guy will flake.

heimannm

Reaction score
A healthy 7-10 is a very fun saw to run and cut with. Vibration is certainly noticeable, but hand one to a guy running a typical homeowner Stihl or Husqvarna and they can only be impressed.

Mark

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Reaction score
nitehawk, I for one would be interested in knowin what "old pioneers" ya got, maybe seein 'em too... got a few myself, kinda stuck on them... see sig... pioneer thread here somewhere... dunno how to link...

nitehawk55

Reaction score
the 7-10 got sold

I'm up north at my son's right now for a couple weeks but i'll let you know what old pioneers I have .
I have quite a few parta saws in 650's and an RA as well as a 450 if you need parts . I've got one running 650 and a Lombard model 40 I would part with .

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Reaction score
the 7-10 got sold

I'm up north at my son's right now for a couple weeks but i'll let you know what old pioneers I have .
I have quite a few parta saws in 650's and an RA as well as a 450 if you need parts . I've got one running 650 and a Lombard model 40 I would part with .

was just curious as to what u had. only parts I need right now is clutch cover and bar for a hc, bar for 620, all others in my sig complete & running... thx. p.

Latest posts