Model T Ford

cobey

Apr 11, 2013
nice,,, I have come to like more stock resto stuff....... I have done alot of hotrod
stuff. nice job keeping it original !!!!!!!!

Dingeryote

Oct 5, 2013
Awesome job Ed!!

One of the local guys here does a bunch of T stuff, and drives one of his as a daily driver, year round.
Glen Pensinger...you might even know the guy.

Never seen a fordor done up with that kind of attention, to that level, and broken down like that.
I usually see a mess, partial build with bits scattered, and then completed.

Hell of a job man. Thanks for sharing this!
Now I know exactly how warped Glen is.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

exSW

thinking of old guys’ balls
Oct 8, 2013
Out there
One of the things that has puzzled me on old wood cars,boats,planes what have you.Is where do you get new lumber that is the same quality as the original?I used to do some Timber frame restoration and the second and third growth stuff I had to use was no where near the quality of what was already there.

Special Ed

Jan 9, 2012
On this car, the A and B pillars were re-used. The driver's side A-pillar was repaired at the top using epoxy. The rear quarter window framing was made of white oak. The remainder of the body wood was made using laminated sign-board that is rated for 7 years exposure to the elements. It was sealed with Rust Bullet, then the body metal was sealed with the same, then the wood framing was installed, and both metal and wood were coated with it again. All of the wood joints were mechanically fastened, as well as glued with an adhesive made for wooden boats, giving them some flex. The removable floor boards were made from oak, where the originals were very poor quality reclaimed poplar. I am satisfied that the materials and workmanship far exceed those used originally.

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Jul 31, 2013
Southern Minnesota
On this car, the A and B pillars were re-used. The driver's side A-pillar was repaired at the top using epoxy. The rear quarter window framing was made of white oak. The remainder of the body wood was made using laminated sign-board that is rated for 7 years exposure to the elements. It was sealed with Rust Bullet, then the body metal was sealed with the same, then the wood framing was installed, and both metal and wood were coated with it again. All of the wood joints were mechanically fastened, as well as glued with an adhesive made for wooden boats, giving them some flex. The removable floor boards were made from oak, where the originals were very poor quality reclaimed poplar. I am satisfied that the materials and workmanship far exceed those used originally.
I heard from a guy that worked for Ford in the time frame of these that they reused crates from some parts shipped in for the floor boards. In fact, Ford had a specification as to what was used for crating for outsourced parts. Add that to the fact that these buggies were never meant to be around for almost 90 years, and you get the original recipe.

The wood scraps were used to make charcoal for grilling. Kingsford charcoal is a direct descendant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsford_(charcoal)

Very nice restoration. A family heirloom at the very least.

Reactions: 1 person

nitehawk55

Jan 28, 2014
SW Ontario
Great job , it is an incredable amount of work to do those old cars . I tried doing a Model A and walked away from it .

I restored many cars from the 50's and 60's but kudos to anyone who restores a tin lizzy !!