Quantcast

MS290 King of Chainsaws

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
A customer of mine runs a landscaping company, he mainly does lawn mowing and lawn clean ups.
A week ago his Jonsered 820 has the coil crap the bed on him, so he's down to a MS290 and Husky 359.
He has a 4' willow that he's scheduled to take down yesterday, so instead of fixing the Jonsered he improvises.

And fits the 28" bar and 3/8" full comp chain from the Jonsered 820, not on the Husky 359! but the MS290!!!
and sent me this picture bragging about it. By the way the sprocket on the MS290 is a 8 tooth .325,
since the saw normally wears a 16" bar and chain.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
I love that modular saw. I don't care what anyone says. They aren't as socially acceptable as a 346 but who gives a rats ass....

They'll put a lot of wood in the truck and THAT'S what matters!! :rock:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, I'm impressed. I can imagine he had to take his time but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, I'm impressed. I can imagine he had to take his time but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Yeah I couldn't believe that A. He made the made the bar/ chain/sprocket combo work
and B. That it actually worked well enough to cut that monster of a tree, yes it's Willow, but still
it's impressive.

He stopped in before closing and told me all the details and I just shook my head in disbelief.

"I let the saw chew its way through the tree, and the sprocket rattling from running the wrong sized chain"

Last edited:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Lmao i see i read your post wrong. I just assumed it was a rim and he swapped it, now that's a good one! Destroy the sprocket or chain doing that?

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Lmao i see i read your post wrong. I just assumed it was a rim and he swapped it, now that's a good one! Destroy the sprocket or chain doing that?

HAHA nope he slapped the 3/8" bar and chain on the .325 sprocket, and ran it.

No idea of the condition of the chain or sprocket.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Seems like anytime I've seen that done it binds right up and nothing turns. I still can't get my head around it :lol: must be all that pah in them things! :D

Spike60

Reaction score
Ah...............so what are we doing with that 820??????????????

(He can put a 288 coil in there if he wants to fix it)

Last edited:

Spike60

Reaction score
I think the coil price is in the $80 neighborhood. Really not bad to keep a large saw like that running for that customer. He'd have to spend a thousand bucks to buy a new saw of similar size and power. He's not a guy who's running a saw like that all day long, but he occasionally has an application where he needs a saw that size. To me, it would make sense for him to fix it.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
I think the coil price is in the $80 neighborhood. Really not bad to keep a large saw like that running for that customer. He'd have to spend a thousand bucks to buy a new saw of similar size and power. He's not a guy who's running a saw like that all day long, but he occasionally has an application where he needs a saw that size. To me, it would make sense for him to fix it.

Yeah the 290 and 359 get a lot of use and the 820 just gets used for these exact sort of situations.
I'll let him know the price, when I see him in a day or two.

Yeah but like all landscapers he is cheap, and only fixes stuff when he needs it.

Spike60

Reaction score
Yeah the 290 and 359 get a lot of use and the 820 just gets used for these exact sort of situations.
I'll let him know the price, when I see him in a day or two.

Yeah but like all landscapers he is cheap, and only fixes stuff when he needs it.

Yeah, he'll come in the day before he needs it for a job.

Hey! I'm now a bacon strip!!!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
HA! knowing him he'll stop in on the way to the job he needs it for, and expect
me to drop what I'm doing and do it.

Just grab a new saw off the shelf and say here ya go, all fixed. Your total is $$$$$ :D

Latest posts