My New Truck

Barneyrb

razorback sympathizer
Jul 10, 2013
North of the Coonazz line but still in Louis
The company I work for pays me a substantial car allowance every month. It's enough that they want me to drive something no more than 3 model years or 90,000 miles. With that being said my current ride is a 2010 F150 Lariat with 87,000 on it so it's trading time and this is what I am leaning towards trading for next.

Dodge is going to produce a 1/2 ton truck with a diesel that from what I've seen advertised so far should be 28-30 on the highway and 22-24 around town without loosing performance. Now, I know it's a Dodge and I know it ain't a Cummins but I really need the MPG for my job.

Any thoughts??????

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

stihl sawing

death venom dispenser
Jan 12, 2012
Arkysaw
That would be the one i get if i was buying a new truck, Nothing wrong with a dodge, My 2000 model 2500 has 213,000 miles on it. Still ain't broke in yet. never replaced any front end parts. I get 75,000 miles on a set of tires too. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Look at the suspensions on all three trucks and you will choose the dodge. Now that's on the 3/4 ton trucks. dodge is a whole lot beefier unless ford and chevy got smart and kept up lately.

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I didn't like the 2013 2500 dodge I drove. Didn't use it for hauling, had it as a loaner for a few days so it didn't get pushed hard. But just driving down the road I really didn't care for it. Weight in the back or a trailer may help.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
TK, that is essentially every 3/4 and 1 ton truck out there. I bet the Ram 3500 is even worse with both the coil and leaf springs in the back. My dad's 2010 Ram 1500 is a nice riding vehicle, about the same as my GMC.

Barney, I say go for it! I didn't know any manufacturer was actually putting a diesel in a 1/2 ton, only heard rumors. If I was in the market for a truck I would look long and hard at that Ram and I hate Mopar.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
TK, that is essentially every 3/4 and 1 ton truck out there. I bet the Ram 3500 is even worse with both the coil and leaf springs in the back. My dad's 2010 Ram 1500 is a nice riding vehicle, about the same as my GMC.

Barney, I say go for it! I didn't know any manufacturer was actually putting a diesel in a 1/2 ton, only heard rumors. If I was in the market for a truck I would look long and hard at that Ram and I hate Mopar.
I've been in GM and Ford 3/4-1tons of the past decade of makes, and while I had my likes and dislikes for all of them, the new Ram I recently had is the only one made me want out. Of course the ride would be nicer in any of those with a load, but the Ram was terrible.

I would consider the 1500 with a diesel, different ballgame. Even if a smaller diesel, I'd think you'd want some sort of weight in the back to keep the wheels planted. The weight balance in a typical truck is of course forward, more so when a diesel is dropped in. Designed to be a hauler, not a grocery getter. Unless you normally have a couple thousand pounds of groceries..... :lol:

stihl sawing

death venom dispenser
Jan 12, 2012
Arkysaw
I've been in GM and Ford 3/4-1tons of the past decade of makes, and while I had my likes and dislikes for all of them, the new Ram I recently had is the only one made me want out. Of course the ride would be nicer in any of those with a load, but the Ram was terrible.
Look at the springs on them, the ram has much heavier ones, also you may have rode in the dodge with the towing package and the other didn't have it. I know the rear springs on my 3/4 ton are bigger than a 1 ton ford. but you don't buy a 3/4 ton diesel and expect it to ride like a car. Mine rides a little rough but it's a work truck, not a pretty boy cruiser.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Look at the springs on them, the ram has much heavier ones, also you may have rode in the dodge with the towing package and the other didn't have it. I know the rear springs on my 3/4 ton are bigger than a 1 ton ford. but you don't buy a 3/4 ton diesel and expect it to ride like a car. Mine rides a little rough but it's a work truck, not a pretty boy cruiser.
I didn't expect it to ride like a car. But the ability to go straight down the road without fighting the wheel would have been pretty sweet. Truck would not go in a straight line to save it's life - amongst other things. I realize it may have needed some work, not all things come perfect from the factory, but the 3 day window I had with the truck gave me a very inferior experience with it compared to Ford and GM.

stihl sawing

death venom dispenser
Jan 12, 2012
Arkysaw
That one had some front end alignment problems, someone hit something good to knock the front end out. I've only had mine aligned once and it has been down some bad roads and in the woods. The tires on it now have 63,000 on them. I probably will get another alignment next time i buy tires.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
I work on trucks everyday, seeing every make/model. I would go with the Ram. They have picked up the pace in the last five years, making a superb product. Silverado has some new Ecotec engines hitting soon while Ford has the Ecoboost (most hyped over rated engine in the past several) so options are many.

Diesel is to me the way to go. Torque and economy with longer service intervals. Waiting to see the powertrain warranty but I would assume it to be similar to the rest of the line.

Reactions: 2 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
That one had some front end alignment problems, someone hit something good to knock the front end out. I've only had mine aligned once and it has been down some bad roads and in the woods. The tires on it now have 63,000 on them. I probably will get another alignment next time i buy tires.
It had 70ish miles on it, didn't take long for some bonehead to whack that thing! :laughing: But the overall feel of the truck was unpleasant. Same as Stihl vs. Husky vs. etc. it's all a personal preference. And they all have problems.

originalrebel

Jul 31, 2013
south Ms
i don't work on dodges but i'd bet that lil diesel is a mercedes or offshoot of a mercedes. goes back when daimlier owned most of chrysler. dodges are tough but as stated earlier, the ride SUCKS.

PB

Nov 5, 2012
i don't work on dodges but i'd bet that lil diesel is a mercedes or offshoot of a mercedes. goes back when daimlier owned most of chrysler. dodges are tough but as stated earlier, the ride SUCKS.
After a quick search, it is a VM Motori engine made in Italy. It's the same diesel as in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Interestingly, VM Motori is owned 50/50 by GM and Fiat. So that Dodge is running a GM motor. :)

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Interesting the fullsize pickup can squeeze out the same mileage as the little SUV...... Maybe those engines just get what they get unless there's a drastic change in gearing/chassis.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
If Dodge can't get a 4 speed automatic transmission right, what makes them thing that adding 3 more gears will be anything but a freaking nightmare???

That being said, I would love to get a full sized pickup with 28mpg...
I would buy one this year, if it were real...
Any of the big 3...
Seriously...

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
If Dodge can't get a 4 speed automatic transmission right, what makes them thing that adding 3 more gears will be anything but a freaking nightmare???

Any of the big 3...
Seriously...
They're up to 8 gears now :sadshake:

I'd give a half ton a fair shake. I just went up one side and down the other of a good friend of mine who just bought a Titan..... Pretty sure that would all come back in my face as I've openly displayed my disliking of Dodge over the years. Just haven't had good experiences with them around here. But everything changes and hopefully for the better :dancingpig:

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa

Any of the big 3...
Seriously...
They haven't had tranny issues since the early 00's.....they will never live down the 94 Ram tranny issues. Ball joints and tie rod ends were ✖✖✖✖ until mid 00's though. Really the turn was in the Daimler transition

Reactions: 3 people

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
I think my 3500 SRW 2011 dodge rides better than the 09 F 250 it replaced. The track bar bushings were worn out at 47k miles but other than that it's been great.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
I do all my loading and hauling with a 2008 5spd 4wd Ranger (now with 95k miles).

It currently needs a clutch and some front end stuff but if it's all ya got, it's what ya have!

I'm amazed at how much power it has when towing or hauling heavy loads. That 4.0L V6 has some serious power. I've LOADED that thing numerous times. It's prolly not always the wisest thing in the world to use it like it's a monster dually diesel but - if it's all ya got, it's what ya have. :)