Quantcast

Need some saw ideas.

TROY

Reaction score
Hey guy's, I'm new and this will be my first post. I'm looking for a little input from some people that sound like they might know a thing or two about chainsaws. I have an outdoor woodburner and cut 5-7 cord per year, mostly ash, oak, and walnut. I currently have a MS290 with a 20" bar for bucking, and a MS170 for delimbing. Here's my question, I like the 290 but find it lacks a little when you get into full bar and bigger wood, so was thinking about something bigger. Are the bigger mid grade Stihls any better or do I need to step up to the Pro series, if so what model would you guy's recommend? I don't need anything rediculous, I plan on sticking with the 20" bar but would like a secondary 25" bar for the bigger stuff.

Also what would be a good asking price for my 290? It has a spare bar and 6 good chains, only used for 2 seasons.

Thanks for any and all input.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
+1 on what Thomas said.

I'm pretty sure (which also translates to not fully knowing) that the 440's are still available. If they're not you can't go wrong with a 441. But that all depends on budget. Plan on dropping a grand or more on a brand new 70cc Stihl after tax....

As far as price on the 290, I'm not 100% certain. If it looks real clean I'd think you could easily get $350 for it.

Input from everyone is good but BloodOnTheIce would certainly be the d00d to talk to. Hopefully he'll chime in soon.

TROY

Reaction score
Southeast MI, and have a friendly Stihl dealer 10 mins. from home so would like to stick with a Stihl.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
Southeast MI, and have a friendly Stihl dealer 10 mins. from home so would like to stick with a Stihl.

Couldn't hurt to go to the dealer - might be able to work out a deal on a new saw. Trading in a Stihl towards a new Stihl usually adds a perk or two when buying a new toy. ;)

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
441cm or 461 if the price isn't much more. Probably get away with a 362 to save a few pennies.

rburg

Reaction score
I believe you would like the move to the pro saw. I recently bought a used 440 from one of the members of this fine site and I believe you would like this size saw. It is not much heavier than your 290 and much stronger. You might be able to do some trading with your local dealer if you would like to purchase new. If a used saw would work, keep an eye on the saws for sale on the forum and you might find one that would suit your needs.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Budget Option:
If you want a stronger saw than the 290, with and keep smaller budget
a MS311 or 391 will do it for 500$ and 550$. 311 is 60cc, and 391 is 64cc
and both will run 20" bars strong and 25" when needed.

Middle of the road option:
MS362 is a pro saw, will be a jump up in power and performance.
Around the 700$ mark.

Money is no object option:
But if you want a noticeable huge increase in power the 441 is around 850$.

Clean your saw up nice and toss is on craigslist or ebay and should be able to get 75% of your investment back.

TROY

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I was hoping you would chime in. I found a guy on CL that has a 036 Pro I thought about calling on, doesn't have a price though. Sounds like a shop cause he's got several on the same listing, thanks for the help guys.

TROY

Reaction score
Well pulled the trigger on a new saw. Stuck with the 20" bar, but will probably get a 25" for the occasional big stuff. Gonna give her a full workout on Sat., hope it was worth the investment.

new saw.jpg

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
God those saws are ugly. But you'll like it when the day is done.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score
Well pulled the trigger on a new saw. Stuck with the 20" bar, but will probably get a 25" for the occasional big stuff. Gonna give her a full workout on Sat., hope it was worth the investment.

View attachment 710

That's the one I'da picked, if I had your criteria...
Happy sawing...

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
They will, however, stay upright in the bed of the truck... :evilgrin:

Pipe down Margaret nobody asked you :farkyou:
Almost every saw falls over in the back of my truck, in the wagon, on the ground, wherever. If it dont fall over in my vehicle then it's too big, too wide, and too heavy for me :cool:

Hell they don't just fall over, they roll!

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score
Pipe down Margaret nobody asked you :farkyou:
Almost every saw falls over in the back of my truck, in the wagon, on the ground, wherever. If it dont fall over in my vehicle then it's too big, too wide, and too heavy for me :cool:

Hell they don't just fall over, they roll!

That's partly why Husky's had to devise such great air filtration... They spent so much time idling on their side in the sawdust sucking up all the junk off the forrest floor...
Every time I sit that 372 down to move something around, I know it'll be taking a dirt nap when I go to pick it up...
:sleepingin:

TROY

Reaction score
God those saws are ugly. But you'll like it when the day is done.

Oh come on now it isn't that bad looking. I will admit it though, some pics of the new Husky's I've seen on here are very nice looking saws. Took it out to do a test cut on a 18" piece of Oak I had laying by the wood burner felt good. Totally different feel than the 290, way better balanced.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
After 1-3 gallons of fuel it'll be broken in, then pull the limiter cap on the high needle and
richen it up 1/4-1/2 turn.

Latest posts