New China carb for my little Poulan/Husky.

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
I have used my Husqvarna 141 quite a bit this year. Its a handy little saw for smaller firewood and limbing. It has a dual port muffler and runs like hell, really works well.

BUT,,, It has gotten to the point where it just didn't seem quite right. Erratic idling sometimes, a almost unnoticeable lag in revving up sometime, not really anything real bad but just not quite right if you know what I mean.

I had went though this saw a while back, new crank seals, intake boot, rebuild carb, you know the stuff. This saw is getting old and didn't think just going through the carb again was going to help. Sometimes they just quit working right you know?

I was going to find and rebuild another carb for it but since another member told me he had been using these no name China built Zama replacements with good luck on the small Stihls, I decided to take a $12.66 gamble on the Walbro WT style carb for this.

Much as I hated to, I just really wanted to see for myself if there worth $12.99. I will say they are I guess. It runs, had to modify a couple things (good thing I'm Modifiedmark) but it looks built well enough and it works.

The things that needed modified were the bottom of the lever on the throttle shaft for the idle adjustment. It was longer then the OEM and was too close to the carb screw grommet.

I also had to trim the grommet not quite 1/8 with a razor knife so it would set back against the carb far enough to set down in the case right. It actually could have used that trimming before with the stock carb as well as it was very tight to get down in the case all along.

The third thing was the tang on the pump side cover that stuck out and rubbed on top the wires for the ign switch.

These modifications were quick and easy. A cut off wheel took care of the lever and the cover tang in less then 15 seconds.

The other difference was the H and L screws were shorter on the new carb, not a big deal I guess I was going to swap them out but wanted to see how close the carb adjustment was out of the box. I think I'm going to leave them this way anyway as they set back in the grommet farther which helps guiding a screw driver on them better.

Once the stock limters are removed from the OEM screws you expose the splines on the screws which allow the use of a splined adjusting driver to adjust them. That is the best way ever invented to adjust carb screws boys and girls. :happywink:

That said, I don't always carry that driver with me and I always have my small Husqvarna screwdriver with me.

Ok, how does it run? It stated in 4 pulls. Ran pig rich out of the box. Leaned the low sided screw and adjusted the idle till all was good there. It was rich on the high side as well and thats where it got weird. While trying to adjust it at WOT the say just died like someone shut off the switch. I pulled the top cover and the air filter was soaked in gas.

Long story short I pulled the carb and the inlet needle was stuck open. There was a piece of crap in it that probably came from my bench when inspecting it to begin with. Put it back on and it started up and ran fine. I have to say it is a touchy SOB to get right on the high side. You just breath on it and it goes from heavy 4 stroking to lean seemed like it was almost starving for fuel.

I changed out the stock fuel filter that only has a pin hole in the opening for a new stock Husqvarna style filter and that seemed to help. I debated on changing out the stock .080 ID fuel line for a .125 ID line but don't think there is any need to. If my 100CC 2100 will run with a 1/8 line this 40cc saw should run with a .080ID line.

It seemed to adjust out better this way. I had a hard time keeping it under 14K before now I can get it lightly 4 stroking at 13.300K.

I took it to the woodpile and it seemed to run fine. Didn't really have to adjust much more, just a tad richer on the high side and its good to go. The main thing is no more erratic idle, piss revs like hell too!

So for $12 its a ok deal I guess, just be prepared to not just bolt it on and go.

I'll post up the pictures ask questions if you got em.

Attachments

• 100_4998 (Custom).JPG
    100_4998 (Custom).JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_5000 (Custom).JPG
    100_5000 (Custom).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_5003 (Custom).JPG
    100_5003 (Custom).JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_5008 (Custom).JPG
    100_5008 (Custom).JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_4995 (Custom).JPG
    100_4995 (Custom).JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 65

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
More pictures

Attachments

• 100_5006 (Custom).JPG
    100_5006 (Custom).JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_5009 (Custom).JPG
    100_5009 (Custom).JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_5014 (Custom).JPG
    100_5014 (Custom).JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_5015 (Custom).JPG
    100_5015 (Custom).JPG
    81 KB · Views: 63
  • 100_5017 (Custom).JPG
    100_5017 (Custom).JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 64

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
A few more pictures

Attachments

• 100_5021 (Custom).JPG
    100_5021 (Custom).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 100_5020 (Custom).JPG
    100_5020 (Custom).JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_5019 (Custom).JPG
    100_5019 (Custom).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_5022 (Custom).JPG
    100_5022 (Custom).JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 63

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
Last pictures

Attachments

• 100_5023 (Custom).JPG
    100_5023 (Custom).JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 100_5024 (Custom).JPG
    100_5024 (Custom).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 62

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
Looks good, now find me a replacement for the 2300's and S25's........

Put all those small filters you throw away to the side, I've been "rebuilding" those and they work great.

I'll get right on that. :facepalm:

Modifiedmark

Reaction score

Put all those small filters you throw away to the side, I've been "rebuilding" those and they work great.

What are you doing to the filters? I know the elements are replaceable, but I just didn't like the size of the hole in the outlet. It was just easier to grab a new filter at that time.

leec12

Reaction score

Soak them in Sea Foam. Tip from Tim

Barneyrb

razorback sympathizer
Reaction score
North of the Coonazz line but still in Louis
What are you doing to the filters? I know the elements are replaceable, but I just didn't like the size of the hole in the outlet. It was just easier to grab a new filter at that time.

I am replacing the elements with felt ones and I also take a drill bit to the center when I have it apart. I've got a couple hundred of those felts and see no sense in throwing those away. It doesn't take much to open one up enough to what I think is acceptable.

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
I got a bunch of those felts as well. Got a big bag of them from the Auction haul we went to a few months back.

Got the fat ones and the skinny ones. A lot of folks dont know you can still buy those felts from Oregon. I like them about as well as any filter out there. I know when I run a saw dry it takes a lot longer with a felt filter in it, they seem t hold the fuel in them.

Barneyrb

razorback sympathizer
Reaction score
North of the Coonazz line but still in Louis
I got a bunch of those felts as well. Got a big bag of them from the Auction haul we went to a few months back.

Got the fat ones and the skinny ones. A lot of folks dont know you can still buy those felts from Oregon. I like them about as well as any filter out there. I know when I run a saw dry it takes a lot longer with a felt filter in it, they seem t hold the fuel in them.

I don't think I get as much trash in the carb when I use those also. There's plenty of room in that alum housing to drill it out some and while you have it apart it's real easy to clean the shavings out.

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Reaction score
I've got two China carbs enroute. A walboro WT for a 260, a Zama for a 250 and I've got one for a 290 in a envelope ready to install.

ive put two in two different 350's and they ran great.

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
Thats good to hear. I got one more coming for a Ryobi weed wacker, we will see how it turns out.

This little 141 is like a light saber. In up to 12-16" wood it will humble some much bigger saws.

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Reaction score
Thats good to hear. I got one more coming for a Ryobi weed wacker, we will see how it turns out.

This little 141 is like a light saber. In up to 12-16" wood it will humble some much bigger saws.

So will my 346:D:jerkoff:

Ive got a husky backpack blower that I've tried everything to get working right. I gotta we if I can find a China carb, because $80 for a husky carb is a bit steep for me.....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I love muh little 136, sweet running little gem. You really need to hog a nasty ass hole in the front of the muffler to get some good bark from it :D :smoking:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Forgot I made a short vid a while back after I messed around with that saw a bit. Vids never do it justice, she's a loud little saw.

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
So will my 346:D:jerkoff:

Ive got a husky backpack blower that I've tried everything to get working right. I gotta we if I can find a China carb, because $80 for a husky carb is a bit steep for me.....

Sure your 346 will but if they know anything about saws at all its not as big a surprise is it? :dunno:

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
Forgot I made a short vid a while back after I messed around with that saw a bit. Vids never do it justice, she's a loud little saw.

You can still here it has some snort to it. ;)

Mine has the 2 piece muffler so its easier to mod. I done mine on the side and yeah it barks.

Attachments

• 100_7302 (Custom).JPG
    100_7302 (Custom).JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 44

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
I also fixed another small issue with it yesterday as well. Before I got it someone had missed getting the bar adjuster pin in the bars adjuster hole and popped the plastic cover and the adjuster pin kept pushing out on it.

Instead of messing around looking for one and spending money I made a aluminum plate to bolt over the cover to secure it. Adds a bit of bling to it as well. :happywink:

Attachments

• 100_5026 (Custom).JPG
    100_5026 (Custom).JPG
    86 KB · Views: 48

Modifiedmark

Reaction score
One of these days if I ever remember to order new seals for it, I got a Poulan 2900 in a box all apart that I plan on putting back together with a 46cc version of the 40cc thats in the 141.

It will be basically a green Poulan Pro 295 that way. There just as good as the 141 style saws and will be another handy one to have around.

Latest posts