New to the forum, but not to chainsaws....

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
Hey all. Just bought a new (first EVER New) husky 435 and it's already blown up. I found TK's Clamshell Rebuild post and enjoyed reading that, glad its the shop rebuilding it ! I think this is the place to get the right answers to the questions I'll have about this brand new beater .... I guess I'm gonna make sure the Jonsered 36 is in shape too, just in case....

First question. What's the deal with the covers over the mixture screws ??? I know the EPA (among other environmental groups) want to reduce emissions, but for pete's sake, let us adjust it to run right. I managed to cut 5 tamarack trees for firewood just before it blew up, on my 2nd day out. Not a good average. Is there a way to remove the covers, or is there a special tool that can be purchased to adjust the high speed jet ? I mean, don't get me wrong, it runs REALLY nice, just a bit "dry" for my liking. I like my 2-strokes to scream but there's a limit !

Thanks in advance, Denis ;-)

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Welcome Denis. The screws on those saws should be splined if memory serves me correctly. You'll have to buy a driver for them off eBay or something, dealers aren't allowed to sell them. If they get caught they can receive a fine of up to $4000!!!

Or you can take a dremel with a flat cutting disc and carefully cut your own slots into them for a slotted screwdriver.

I like the 435 simply for its weight. Not a powerhouse by any means but it only weighs 9 pounds.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Yes, welcome and watch your back:D

I'm a fan of the 435 as well. Great bang for the buck. Make sure to use synthetic oil in it as I've seen many homeowner x torq saws with carbon stuck rings.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
Welcome Denis. The screws on those saws should be splined if memory serves me correctly. You'll have to buy a driver for them off eBay or something, dealers aren't allowed to sell them. If they get caught they can receive a fine of up to $4000!!!

Or you can take a dremel with a flat cutting disc and carefully cut your own slots into them for a slotted screwdriver.

I like the 435 simply for its weight. Not a powerhouse by any means but it only weighs 9 pounds.
Good advise TK... If the OP don't have a slim cutoff wheel, he can remove the carb screw and "carefully" cut grooves in them with a hacksaw blade while in a vise...

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
Don't forget, he cuts through nails & keeps on buckin. That's worth a promotion to rump roast.:yup:
I got Les and Lurch to witness it!!! Farmer oh says no, I'll dump it... But I says, don't waste a perfectly good log of oak...
And Dolly cut it anyway... And was askin for more!!! :rock:

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
..... dealers aren't allowed to sell them.....

They can't sell them, but by rights, he should have one anyway, if he should need to adjust a saw ? If he has one I'll "borrow" it, to remove the screws and rig it up at home. Never been fond of non-adjustable jets.

And yeah, it's a joy to work with, just because it's so light ! I'm not a big guy and anything bigger than a 51 knocks me over ! This works perfect, light and revs lots ! Maybe if I ask real nice someone can port me a muffler for it, I find the exhaust noise a bit boring...... ;-)

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Staff member
Jan 10, 2012
Come to a GTG and cut up some square cants with a ported 7900 or a ported 372 and you'll forget all about being knocked down! ;)

You'll be asking everyone "Where the heck do I get me one of these....?!" :yup: :evilgrin: :yougo: :rock:
Ain't that the troof...
:rock:

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
Reactions: 2 people

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
It's back ! Just a piston/cylinder. Usually stuff comes out of the shop cleaner than it went in, I'll have to pressure-wash mine, I think he dropped it in the grease pit, what a f'n mess. Spray-9 cleans everything though so we're good. Seems to run ok, maybe he played with the carb. I find it a tad lean on a quick poke of throttle, and it seems a lot more rich than before at high-revs. And it smokes now too, which it didn't at all before. Maybe a good thing.

I'll be more gentle with it than before and ease up while bucking the next dozen trees. Last time out I had 3 16 foot green Tamarack poles lined up and I was just whippin' the pee out of them when it jammed up, I was on the trunk end of the last pole when it failed, so it wouldn't likely ever run any hotter than that. Combined with Premium fuel and Husky oil at 45:1 for the first gallon, it'll have a fighting chance. It deserves more respect and better care than it got the first time out.

We'll see how it goes on the weekend if I can find some trees to cut in the foot of fresh snow we got since last Sunday.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Firewood forum New Memberz Area 26
Warped5 Anyone having issues getting to the OPE forum? Chainsawz 5
stihl sawing How long will snelling last on OPE.forum? The Razorback Lounge 457
M Newbie checking out your forum New Memberz Area 17
L Has the other forum been hacked again Chainsawz 139
SKEETER McCLUSKEY the best people on this forum The Razorback Lounge 5
Chity_Avatar The best people are on this forum The Razorback Lounge 76
fossil Typing replies or adding a post in the forum issues. Anyone else having problems? Chainsawz 13
G New to the forum New Memberz Area 1
K Did I see Windthrow on this forum? Chainsawz 0
Joe Kidd What's the deal over at forestry forum? The Razorback Lounge 169
Mastermind A new forum for wood hacks..... The Razorback Lounge 48
derwin65 New to the forum New Memberz Area 8
D Are Poulan Pro Chainsaws A Good Brand To Buy? Chainsawz 26
old040 Hobbies besides chainsaws? The Razorback Lounge 39
P Chainsaws in New York City The Razorback Lounge 0
M Tig welding magnesium chainsaws Chainsawz 6
W Size Matters ... when it comes to chainsaws & bar length's Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 3
Nixon Chainsaws on a stick . Chainsawz 38
naked arborist Many many chainsaws and a ts 420 chopper For Sale 142
DefinitiveDave helicoil kit for Stihl chainsaws? Hawgz Garage 14
Yukon Stihl Random Chainsaws from my trip down the CAD road Chainsawz 29
Chity_Avatar They aren't really chainsaws but I own them now. Chainsawz 12
mweba Chainsaws on tv Chainsawz 25
A Solo chainsaws For Sale 0
Gink Chainsaws...Mills... I feel like times of old! Chainsawz 16
BloodOnTheIce Stihl Wrap Handle Chainsaws Chainsawz 3
SawTroll New and "new" Husky chainsaws in 2012 catalog (Norway). Chainsawz 25
andydodgegeek New guy from Minnesota, likes chainsaws New Memberz Area 26
BloodOnTheIce MS290 King of Chainsaws Hawgz Back 40 16