New Wood Stove . . . what would you buy?

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
I have been using a Regency 2400 woodstove going on 7 years. Last year the stove was replaced due to the air wash system above the door completely rusting out and decaying. Now that I know what to look for I can see this new one is doing the exact same thing. I would like a new stove but cannot afford to buy one right now. If you were in the market for a new stove what would you be looking to buy? I want to go as big as I can but still keep a 6" flue since that is what I have now. I would love something that would supply a bunch of heat and allow me to get through the night in the dead of winter without losing a bunch of heat. In order to get longer burn times I close the air off the Regency when I go to bed and I have coals left in the morning but I lose a bunch of heat in the house through the night.

Any forum members using soapstone stoves? What is the heat like from them?

PB

Nov 5, 2012
My next stove will definitely be a Jotul or a Vermont Castings. If you are looking for a moderately priced stove, look at Napoleon or the Savannah series from Vermont Castings. I have the early version of the Savannah and like it enough. I don't like the door latch but it is fairly efficient and holds coals overnight. Our house is small but it will be 71 when I get up in the morning. The new Vermont's and Jotuls are really efficient.

Reactions: 1 person

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
The Regency dealer also now carries the Jotul. I was looking at the F600 when I started looking for bigger stoves.

Spike60

Jan 12, 2012
Brand wise I'd suggest Quadrafire or Pacific Energy. They might cost a little more than some brands, but IMO a woodstove is one of those things where it really pays to spend the extra bucks.

I've had a Quadrafire 3100 for 20 years and it's as good as new. Everything works, nothing deformed. Only thing I've had to do is replace most of the original firebricks and repaint the top a couple times. (due to use of steamers) Burns very clean; I've NEVER had to clean the chimney. (Yes, I check it every year)

Reactions: 1 person

PB

Nov 5, 2012
Pacific Energy does make a nice stove. Our close friends just bought a Pacific Energy True North stove and it is a solid built stove. Nothing fancy, just puts out heat and does it fairly efficiently. That model is the lower end so I imagine the pricier ones are more efficient.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dboyd351 Small/medium wood stove recommendation Hawgz Back 40 9
thomas1 Wood Furnaces... Hawgz Back 40 122
H 2 H Wood's has the good's The Razorback Lounge 3
cat-face timber Covering fire wood with a tarp The Razorback Lounge 51
Mx_racer428 High quality commercial size wood splitter. For Sale 8
Modifiedmark cut some wood today Chainsawz 19
de_dubya State Considers Banning Wood burning from November 1 to March 15 Hawgz Back 40 12
Dh 1984 Findaly got a wood splitter Hawgz Back 40 172
G Show me your wood! Hawgz Back 40 6758
G Wood ID Chainsawz 26
cowroy Cut a little wood today Hawgz Back 40 49
Chity_Avatar Stihl 028 Wood Boss for sale For Sale 2
P Small Wood and Fuglies Chainsawz 12
M THE HARDEST WOOD EVER!!!! Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 7
naked arborist All night wood Hawgz Back 40 9
Lumberjackchef What I do with my wood! Hawgz Back 40 14
K Is there a definitive word or consensus on the environmental impact of heating with wood? Hawgz Back 40 13
KenJax Tree New show called Big Bad Wood on National Geographic on Thursdays at 9pm Chainsawz 12
K How much wood would a woodchipper chip? Hawgz Back 40 5
Genius Best direction to stack wood Hawgz Back 40 29
C best chain for all around? dirty and clean wood mixed, lpx or lgx? Chainsawz 28
Mastermind A new forum for wood hacks..... The Razorback Lounge 48
R Fire wood prices Hawgz Back 40 49
Dh 1984 Important about Wood burning Inside my house The Razorback Lounge 58
WoodChuck'r Hi what's the best chainsaw for cutting up wood into smaller pieces. Chainsawz 16
WoodChuck'r If you could only burn one type of wood..... Hawgz Back 40 43
mweba Last nights job. Felling cotton wood Hawgz Back 40 7
booted Hi i like to cut wood with my handz New Memberz Area 15
SKEETER McCLUSKEY whats a good pellet stove? The Razorback Lounge 23
67L36Driver The OK, TX, KS, AR, MO pot belly stove crew. Chainsawz 1545
TK What's the first thing you cook on your new stove? The Razorback Lounge 8
S t304 stainless stove pipe Hawgz Garage 7
WoodChuck'r Cleaning yer stove. Hawgz Back 40 4
TK anybody wanna buy a truck? Hawgz Garage 65
redfin What Would You Buy? Hawgz Back 40 47
D Are Poulan Pro Chainsaws A Good Brand To Buy? Chainsawz 26
axlr8 Want to buy a MS260 Parts Saw. Wanted 0
M Good buy on 2-stroke Oil Chainsawz 5
N Husky T handle set....where to buy ? Chainsawz 9
Chity_Avatar Terry Landrum is doing a group buy on Cannon Bars Chainsawz 7
K Anyone speak Slovene? I may want to buy some Slovenean machinery. The Razorback Lounge 6
T anyone interested in a cannon bar group buy. it could save you up to 20% off Chainsawz 70
Chity_Avatar Stihl 076 for sale to help buy some tools For Sale 21
S Tebo Want to buy 28" 3/8 .050 Bar & Chains for Stihl MS460 Wanted 1
axlr8 LOOKING TO BUY: Older Stihl Points setups. Wanted 4
H want to buy a ms440 case half(clutch side) Wanted 0
S Tebo Wanted to Buy: Stihl 028AV Super & 036 Pro Muffler Front Caps/Covers Wanted 5
L Should I buy a 038 av magnum II Chainsawz 14
H 2 H Going to buy a blower The Razorback Lounge 42
originalrebel why does the U.S. dept. of homeland security need to buy arms and ammo? The Razorback Lounge 31