Quantcast

New Wood Stove . . . what would you buy?

Troy G

Reaction score
I have been using a Regency 2400 woodstove going on 7 years. Last year the stove was replaced due to the air wash system above the door completely rusting out and decaying. Now that I know what to look for I can see this new one is doing the exact same thing. I would like a new stove but cannot afford to buy one right now. If you were in the market for a new stove what would you be looking to buy? I want to go as big as I can but still keep a 6" flue since that is what I have now. I would love something that would supply a bunch of heat and allow me to get through the night in the dead of winter without losing a bunch of heat. In order to get longer burn times I close the air off the Regency when I go to bed and I have coals left in the morning but I lose a bunch of heat in the house through the night.

Any forum members using soapstone stoves? What is the heat like from them?

PB

Reaction score
My next stove will definitely be a Jotul or a Vermont Castings. If you are looking for a moderately priced stove, look at Napoleon or the Savannah series from Vermont Castings. I have the early version of the Savannah and like it enough. I don't like the door latch but it is fairly efficient and holds coals overnight. Our house is small but it will be 71 when I get up in the morning. The new Vermont's and Jotuls are really efficient.

Troy G

Reaction score
The Regency dealer also now carries the Jotul. I was looking at the F600 when I started looking for bigger stoves.

Spike60

Reaction score
Brand wise I'd suggest Quadrafire or Pacific Energy. They might cost a little more than some brands, but IMO a woodstove is one of those things where it really pays to spend the extra bucks.

I've had a Quadrafire 3100 for 20 years and it's as good as new. Everything works, nothing deformed. Only thing I've had to do is replace most of the original firebricks and repaint the top a couple times. (due to use of steamers) Burns very clean; I've NEVER had to clean the chimney. (Yes, I check it every year)

PB

Reaction score
Pacific Energy does make a nice stove. Our close friends just bought a Pacific Energy True North stove and it is a solid built stove. Nothing fancy, just puts out heat and does it fairly efficiently. That model is the lower end so I imagine the pricier ones are more efficient.

Latest posts