Quantcast

Oh look a bar oil thread!

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
That company is big for the racing and tractor pulling guys. They make high zinc oil for flat tappet cams and older engines that don't need to meet the new clean fuel requirements. I'm sure it would be good stuff.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Their bar and chain oil is competitively priced so that I can sell it as a cheaper
alternative to the Stihl bar oil. All petroleum products are taxed heavily here in NY
and our Stihl bar oil is retailing at 15$/ gallon, and I can retail this Brad Penn oil for 11$.

The TSC brand filtered waste oil is selling for 10$/ gallon, so this is a high quality product
for only a 1$ more than their junk.

And I like the fact that it's an American made petroleum product and that means something to
a lot of my customers.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I can definitely appreciate the made in USA bit! :D

Any idea what makes the Stihl oil so expensive other than the brand tag? And what makes the winter stuff so expensive?

I didn't see bar oil listed on the website, is it a special request item?

Spike60

Reaction score
Why not settle on Veg-Oil then - I did in 2004 or so! :pirate:

The Husky pro-forest veg oil is $5 more per gallon than the regular stuff. (I sell the husky bar oil for $10 and $15). I keep some veg oil in stock, as it has a small following amongst the green crowd.

The husky veg oil works pretty good, but there are some out there that will ruin your saw. They tend to mix with sawdust and "bake" into a very hard mess that fills up the cooling fins. You can't blow this stuff out with an air compressor; you have to chip it out with a screwdriver.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
The Husky pro-forest veg oil is $5 more per gallon than the regular stuff. (I sell the husky bar oil for $10 and $15). I keep some veg oil in stock, as it has a small following amongst the green crowd.

The husky veg oil works pretty good, but there are some out there that will ruin your saw. They tend to mix with sawdust and "bake" into a very hard mess that fills up the cooling fins. You can't blow this stuff out with an air compressor; you have to chip it out with a screwdriver.

I've been cutting the price of the Bio-Plus Oil so that it's the same price as the Orange Bottle Stihl oil.
But normally it retails for like 20$

The only complaint about Bio oil is it makes the operator hungry since it smells like fried foods.

I'll be using the Brad-Penn stuff in the shop to and see how well it works.

But I agree TK everything else being equal I'll push and support a US petroleum company/product.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Oh an I saw the freight charges on my last order of oil - only 1 pallet mind you - something like $750!!!! Doubtful that's what was charged but the numbers were there plain as day :(

Don't worry, I ordered quantity to receive free freight, but somebody gotta pay for that nonsense! You're lucky you can go pick up what you need, wonder what I'd have to go through to get that stuff shipped to me?

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Oh an I saw the freight charges on my last order of oil - only 1 pallet mind you - something like $750!!!! Doubtful that's what was charged but the numbers were there plain as day :(

Don't worry, I ordered quantity to receive free freight, but somebody gotta pay for that nonsense! You're lucky you can go pick up what you need, wonder what I'd have to go through to get that stuff shipped to me?

Just come to a GTG on my side of the border and I'll load you up, but their looks to
be a distributor in northeast Mass. that may come up your way.

SawTroll

Reaction score

Husky Veg-Oil is what I use - an additional benefit is that less is needed than with dino stuff, and the oil output is better, specially in cold weather. Something for Stihl saws with restrictive oilers! :evilgrin:

Last edited:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Just come to a GTG on my side of the border and I'll load you up, but their looks to
be a distributor in northeast Mass. that may come up your way.

I'll be driving through NY state come August, but that's for fun with the wife not for work ;) I do want to hit up a GTG in the fall out there, don't think I'll have any time to do any travelling until then. Have a busy summer again this year.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
I'll be driving through NY state come August, but that's for fun with the wife not for work ;) I do want to hit up a GTG in the fall out there, don't think I'll have any time to do any travelling until then. Have a busy summer again this year.

Take exit 46 off the NYS Thruway, head south on 390 to Rush, then south on 15A for 12 miles, hang a left on Stone Hill Road
we're 3 miles down on the right 9221 Shetler Road. I'm 20 minutes south of the thruway, stop in if you're in the neighborhood.

Hedgerow

Mizzurruh Saw Gangsta
Reaction score
If you can retail an adequate quality bar oil for around 11 bucks, you got a good thing going.
FWIW, we buy good quality gear oil here 2 drums at a time, and we pay $13.75 gal for it.
Mobil 220 V...
It's what I use in my saws as much as possible, but I go through more than what I can scrounge out of the empty drums.
Usually only about 2 gal left in them after pumping...

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Take exit 46 off the NYS Thruway, head south on 390 to Rush, then south on 15A for 12 miles, hang a left on Stone Hill Road
we're 3 miles down on the right 9221 Shetler Road. I'm 20 minutes south of the thruway, stop in if you're in the neighborhood.

I'll ask you again soon before we head out, I'll lose this in the meantime. Definitely like to stop by and check out a real Stihlership :D

SawTroll

Reaction score

Looks like it is pretty close to Jack Walkers place! :wink:

mweba

Reaction score
Any one tried this brand yet. It just arrived at the local fleet farm.

@

Latest posts