Old saws and Relics

old040

Reaction score
Was kinda hoping there would be a sticky for the oldies and odd balls, picked up this classic Bolens 3700 gear drive this morning, this thing is built like tank, cast iron gear-box, gas tank, exhaust, and rear handle assy!!!, 24 lbs PHO...lol, other than the spark-plug guard I stole off of D/B 360 and put on it, it looks to be all original including bar and chain!, Power-Products AH47 that sounds like a Harley at idle!...lol, yes it runs and still works as it should, required very little to have back in action again, my pics, and one from mikes site, this thing is a true classic.....:-);)View attachment 55161 View attachment 55162 View attachment 55163 View attachment 55164 View attachment 55165
I've got a little more researching to do on the "Bay State/Fleetwood made Bolens saws, I bought an original owners manual for it, while looking through it I noticed in one of the pics that shows the saw, the decal that was on the top of the fuel tank clearly says "Propulsion Engine Corp", as far as I know it is a completely different company from Power Products which according to Mikes site, my 3720 should have a PP AH-47 series in it, I've done some searching but still haven't found a connection between the two company's, anyone else know of this?

old040

Reaction score
I've got a little more researching to do on the "Bay State/Fleetwood made Bolens saws, I bought an original owners manual for it, while looking through it I noticed in one of the pics that shows the saw, the decal that was on the top of the fuel tank clearly says "Propulsion Engine Corp", as far as I know it is a completely different company from Power Products which according to Mikes site, my 3720 should have a PP AH-47 series in it, I've done some searching but still haven't found a connection between the two company's, anyone else know of this?
After looking at my 3700 this morning, it has a Power Products I.D. tag on it that states clearly that it is an AH-47, not sure why the manual shows the other company on the decal......another mystery to solve....lol

PogoInTheWoods

Reaction score
I may have posted this before, but here's the Power Products I.D. on my 3500. Also a pic of the Bolens branding along with the bar identification. No decal on top with any of the stuff that's on yours. Just some mix and bar lube instructions on mine.

And the previous owner was very proud of the bar on this thing and musta wiped it down after every use. Still in remarkable shape for its age. First I ever heard of Penfield Saw Works.

0722181338_resized.jpg

0722181337_resized.jpg

0722181339_resized.jpg

old040

Reaction score
I may have posted this before, but here's the Power Products I.D. on my 3500. Also a pic of the Bolens branding along with the bar identification. No decal on top with any of the stuff that's on yours. Just some mix and bar lube instructions on mine.

And the previous owner was very proud of the bar on this thing and musta wiped it down after every use. Still in remarkable shape for its age. First I ever heard of Penfield Saw Works.

Same bar that's on my Bolens.

old040

Reaction score
On my way to pick up this beast this morning, almost fell over when I saw listed on F/B, at least I'll have the right AH-81 recoil assy for my gear drive version, only problem is that this direct drive version is complete (seller still has the air filter), so I'll still be looking for another "correct" recoil for this series of D/B saws so both will have the right recoil......:-);)
37687322_438116676663017_4917684867556179968_n.jpg

old040

Reaction score
On my way to pick up this beast this morning, almost fell over when I saw listed on F/B, at least I'll have the right AH-81 recoil assy for my gear drive version, only problem is that this direct drive version is complete (seller still has the air filter), so I'll still be looking for another "correct" recoil for this series of D/B saws so both will have the right recoil......:-);)View attachment 56092
Got the D/B home and did some cleaning to it, starting to really like it, got a hunch these direct drives are harder to come by than the gear drives....biggest issue I have with this one is, to use the recoil off of it and put it on my gear drive model, I'll to change spring and rope direction every-time I want to switch from one to the other, which would be a pain, so, I'll keep looking for another....lol

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score

Reported.

They look like Titans.

Think I have Clinton starter handle (and the carcass that it's attached to) that I can trade ya for that Homelite handle....

I’d be searching on evilbay.

“Power Products starter” in outdoor power equipment.

Also remember them are reversible CW to CCW by flipping the spring and dog. IIRC [emoji848]

Yessir. Notice the V shaped notch in your Pioneer starter cover that allows the rope to be fed onto the pulley from either direction. C5/7/9 Homelites and many of the upright cylinder Homelites have starters that are also convertible like that.

looks like it uses fm?
only ever seen one. don't remember.

Yep. That starter cup gives it away as an FM type.

Couldn't resist.......lol................

This Mac bar oil can now resides on top of my shop's beer fridge. :cheers:

Last edited:

roberte

Latte Lover
Reaction score
Reported.

Think I have Clinton starter handle (and the carcass that it's attached to) that I can trade ya for that Homelite handle....

Yessir. Notice the V shaped notch in your Pioneer starter cover that allows the rope to be fed onto the pulley from either direction. C5/7/9 Homelites and many of the upright cylinder Homelites have starters that are also convertible like that.

Ignored

old040

Reaction score
Reported.

I know this is from a couple months back, but after going through all of my F/M recoils, either on saws or off, IIRC only one or two had the optional hole to be able to change the rope pull direction, I'm not sure if by drilling and adding the necessary hole if it could still be reversed, I'm not sure if there's a locator to hold the spring for when the spring is reversed.

old040

Reaction score
Been pretty dormant with the saw thing, but this antique saw spurred my interest, found it listed for sale somewhat close by a few days back, I knew it was a Skarie chainsaw, but it's the first I've ever seen of this variation/model. This one uses a Power Products AH36 unlike the known Skarie "Chain Lightning" model that used the AH47, and the engine is configured in the frame differently than in the Chain Lightning model. This one will most likely head off to a fellow collector that I know, kinda cool to see an unknown (until now) model pop up......;)
150071640_5200317110010207_3735199114120228408_o.jpg
149468648_5200309453344306_7298202522563136486_o.jpg
150554778_5200309480010970_415212855077439658_o.jpg

Latest posts