Open Port VS. Closed Port

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Alright. I've got three different cylinders that I'd like identified - but I'll have to post the pics of them tomorrow. I honestly don't know exactly what I'm looking at, thought I did but I'm confused.

Anyway, what benefit is there to a closed port, and what benefit is there to an open port? When would one want one over the other? If anyone has a pic to post please do.

StumpysCustoms

Pot-Bellied Pig!
Jan 10, 2012
This is an open transfer

this is a closed transfer

The closed tranfer design is more desirable because it has better flow & more volume.

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Awesome, exactly what I needed. I had an idea of something else before, then I see a different cylinder completely and was kinda set back thinking there were three different types??? Poor confused boy :lol:

I'll still post pics tomorrow of the 3 different ones I've seen so you can see what my feeble mind was thinking.

Reactions: 1 person

Spike60

Jan 12, 2012
There are 3 different types, (at least), as there are 2 styles of closed ports. The first is the standard closed port as shown in the pic. This style was used in saws like the 288 and Jonny 670. All fuel/air mix flows through the windows in the piston.

Then there is the modified closed port as used on the 346, 372, and 390 with the transfers open at the bottom to matching cutouts in the crankcase. A little more effecient path for the fuel air mix to travel. Plus it allows for more tuning of the saws performance characteristics. 1 or 2 transfers per side, how big, how much contour or "hook" they have. Most saws like this don't use a windowed piston, but some do, like the Jonsered 930 Super. This syle is more of a Jonsered thing anyway, as most of the old metal Jonnys like the 70E, 52E and 910 had cylinders like this, and they used non-windowed pistons.

Then you have stuff like the 353 and 359 with the removable side plates. Technically, you could call them modified closed port cylnders, but they are pretty crude and unimaginative behind the plates. But then that's why they respond so well when you open them up a bit. Really, this is the same idea with the 372XT, but they've obviously given more thought to the contour and flow on the 372.

Reactions: 4 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Ok awesome, I'm not going crazy lol, that's perfect information right there. Here are the pics I mentioned I would post.

Husky 51, looks open to me

Husky 262, looks closed to me

Husky 365, this is what confused me. It looked open I thought because of how it mated to the crankcase, but then closed because of the port.... But I guess according to you guys' descriptions I can now see that this is a closed port cylinder :thumbsup:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W What to do with an old Open port 365 with a Walbro carb, came with a Zama Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 14
Freehand An Open Letter To The Modern Day Advertising Executive (Rant) The Razorback Lounge 20
T Open to last unread post? Site Info, Tech Support, & Suggestion Box 2
originalrebel how far should i open up the muffler on a ms362 Chainsawz 4
N Wide Open Baby!! Chainsawz 3
cat-face timber Hey Randy Can You Port This For Me Chainsawz 13
S 020t / 200t port #'s... ? Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 13
M Husqvarna 55 Closed Port For Sale 3
Red97 Cut to fit muffler port Chainsawz 234
awol John Deere cs81 Mild Working Port Job (Efco 181) Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 21
Z7extreme Dyno tested.....Mastermind ported 660 vs Stock 660 vs Dual port 660 Chainsawz 29
Mastermind Wanna Talk About Port Shapes? Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 208
shotgun What is "woods port" Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 10
jon1212 Solo 670 with dual port muffler. For Sale 28
Z7extreme Give those 660's a Dual port muffler. Chainsawz 19
axlr8 Anyone want a free port job? Chainsawz 4
Kenskip1 Husky 55 Closed Port PC Chainsawz 2
Mastermind Thoughts About Having The Husky Closed Port 55 Piston Reproduced.... Chainsawz 25
Mastermind Free Woods Port From Mastermind Chainsawz 134
Mastermind Let's Port This Brand New J'Red 2253.......Then Raffle It Off!!!!! Chainsawz 127
Dh 1984 Looking for someone to port a echo Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 36
BloodOnTheIce sold - Stihl 064 066 MS 650 660 Factory Dual Port Muffler - sold For Sale 5
Wigglesworth MINT Husky 51 closed port For Sale 0
mweba Woodzz port 562 Woodz Porting & Saw Buildz 47