Phone cases

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
What's good? What isn't? The Otter box supposedly adds the best protection, but I really don't like how bulky they are. I guess in the electronics world the name of the game is impact absorbtion, and that will take some bulk in order to accomplish that effectively. I'm currently trying out a case made out of stainless steel. I'm not worried greatly about impact as I've only dropped a phone once in 12 years, but you never know. So what works for you?

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
I had the big Otter Box Defender case.

I hated the thing. WAY too bulky. WAY too big. Pain in the ass to clean. Total POS. Any of the big heavy duty cases are garbage to me. Ugh god I hate how cumbersome they are....

I bought this gel case for my 4 quite a while back. Been using it long past a year. Thin, light, simple, and the material doesn't get hung up in your pocket!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I had the big Otter Box Defender case.

I hated the thing. WAY too bulky. WAY too big. Pain in the ass to clean. Total POS. Any of the big heavy duty cases are garbage to me. Ugh god I hate how cumbersome they are....

I bought this gel case for my 4 quite a while back. Been using it long past a year. Thin, light, simple, and the material doesn't get hung up in your pocket!

I had that exact same one for my previous phone :rock: It worked well. I didn't like it on this phone because the volume and silent buttons don't line up properly. They moved down a little bit on the iPhone4s. I'm actually starting to like this metal case I have now. It's not really cumbersome, hardly sticks out. It's difficult to get used to the sides not being smooth but it gives a good grip. It's pretty open front and back so junk doesn't get caught up in it either. I can remove the flip cover by popping a couple e-clips and pulling the pins. I haven't gotten tired of the flip cover yet, but it does have it's limitations. I do like that it covers the screen and is fairly impact resistant. The gel case was nice because it slipped on and off easy enough, was very slim, and still protected the phone fair enough. It was also nice to shield your hand from the supposed iPhone4 antenna issue.....

Lurch

Jan 10, 2012
I beat the hell out of my phones so I opted for the Otterbox when I got my iphone. Bulk isn't too bad. Still fits in a shirt pocket. Getting crap inside screen protector is a nuisance. Protection is top notch though.

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Jan 9, 2012
West Kentucky
I drop my phone all the time. Kids play with it, slobber, snot, the whole nine yards. You cant beat an otterbox for protection. They are, however, bulky. But I can pull my phone out of it today, and it looks like it did last year when I got it.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I understand they make different grades of Otterboxes now? Which do you guys have?

And I tackled putting on the supposedly indestructable, scratch-proof, military grade screen protectors on this morning. That went well....... :smoking:

MacLaren

Jan 9, 2012
I have the defender series Otter. Lifeproof makes the best case Ive seen. My wife has one for her 4S. They are completely waterproof.

Reactions: 1 person

MacLaren

Jan 9, 2012
Waterproof would be quite handy.
It was pretty neat. They had a 4S completely submerged in water at Best Buy. They arent cheap though. $79
And I believe Lifeproof only makes it for Apple. But I like my Otter Defender better. Its a sweet set up with the belt clip and all.

Last edited:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
It was pretty neat. They had a 4S completely submerged in water at Best Buy. They arent cheap though. $79
And I believe Lifeproof only makes it for Apple. But I like my Otter Defender better. Its a sweet set up with the belt clip and all.
Never been a fan of the belt clip. I had one for a week back when I had a MotoRazr - flippy phone so it was pretty small. Damn near ripped that thing off my waist a dozen times that week, I was constantly getting hung up on stuff so that went in the garbage :lol: How big is the Lifeproof case? Similar to Otterbox?

MacLaren

Jan 9, 2012
Im liking mine so far. I can surely see how it was a pain

Out in Amish MB855 Smokin' big ol doinks