PNW and West Coast people


~Ice Gangsta~
Jan 10, 2012
Parts Unknown
What is the proper name for this piece of safety equipment?

I'm asking because I was selling them on ebay, and was getting numerous
messages telling I was listing it wrong. And most of them contradicted
each other. I'm referring to the basic west coast style full brimmed aluminum
loggers hard hat.


jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
Out here, those go by a number of names- "Tin hat" is most common. "Skid lid" or "tin lid" are two others although skid lid mostly goes with the plastic hardhats.

You can make a "winkie hat" by bending the brim down in the front so the rain rolls off.

I saw one of those tastefully done up in urban camoflauge here, although I wondered where he was going to blend in on a logging landing with "urban" camoflauge.

Calling it a full-brim logger's hard hat is accurate. East coasters and southern loggers get all bent out of shape at the term "west coast style." I'd add tin hat to your listing title.
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 3 people


346 and 372 spikes coming soon. PM me for details.
Jan 9, 2012
NW Montana
To add to JJ's:

"Turtle", "brain basket", "lid", and most commonly (in deez parts) "full-brim".

Just saying the term "full-brim" is enough in the right company -- everyone knows what you're talking about.
  • Like
Reactions: 2 people

Similar threads