Post the last pic you took with your phone

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Aug 27, 2013
Where tobacco is a vegtable
Said the SCARR ported 440 oiler wasn't working well. I would say it wasn't. I want to know how hot it got to melt the worm...that is not cut apart; it melted apart.
Well shit it was worse than I thought. The spacer piece got so hot it cracked all over like a flywheel in the cow's shop.
There is a big thread on AS or ASlite about the melted gear,,,on a 044,, nut sure of 440 same oiler stuffs
Ill go look. Have a link by chance?

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Jan 13, 2012
Uranus...
My guess is that there was a buncha oily shit between the band and the crankcase, keeping it from fully releasing. Dragging band means a lotta heat. There's enough oily shit on and around the oil pump that I'd bet that the clutch was also oil fouled and slipping. Slipping clutch means A LOTTA heat. With an inboard clutch, all that heat has nowhere to go but through the clutch into the crankshaft (melting the worm gear, cracking that spacer, and probably buttfuckin' the crank seal and bearing).

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Aug 27, 2013
My guess is that there was a buncha oily shit between the band and the crankcase, keeping it from fully releasing. Dragging band means a lotta heat. There's enough oily shit on and around the oil pump that I'd bet that the clutch was also oil fouled and slipping. Slipping clutch means A LOTTA heat. With an inboard clutch, all that heat has nowhere to go but through the clutch into the crankshaft (melting the worm gear, cracking that spacer, and probably buttfuckin' the crank seal and bearing).
Probably very true. This saw runs real nice....with an 84 dl at our altitude ~300' it has power to spare. Also I have seen them push through a dull chain. No telling what caused it...but it got hot for sure. One hand I wish I had not sold it to him. On the other the repairs pay for my hobbies...

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Jan 13, 2012
Uranus...
They also noodle lots of large rounds...and will clog a clutch cover badly. Could have been crammed full of crap. He told me he cleaned it up and it still wasn't working..
Yeah he cleaned it up after he'd already roached the worm. While you've got it you're gonna want to change out that PTO side crank seal (and eyeball the bearing while the seal's out). Otherwise she'll come back again, sooner rather than later......

If he's doing a lotta noodling then he needs a 394/395xp or an ms660/661. A ported 70cc class saw can be powerful enough to do bigger saw work.............................but it's still doin' it with a 70cc sized clutch and oiler. I run 80/84dl and 92/93dl bars on my 65-72cc saws, but I'm not ripping a bunch of logs with 'em.

Jimmy in NC

Mill Monkey
Aug 27, 2013
Yeah he cleaned it up after he'd already roached the worm. While you've got it you're gonna want to change out that PTO side crank seal (and eyeball the bearing while the seal's out). Otherwise she'll come back again, sooner rather than later......

If he's doing a lotta noodling then he needs a 394/395xp or an ms660/661. A ported 70cc class saw can be powerful enough to do bigger saw work.............................but it's still doin' it with a 70cc sized clutch and oiler. I run 80/84dl and 92/93dl bars on my 65-72cc saws, but I'm not ripping a bunch of logs with 'em.
He has a 660 and a 880. He beats everything...I take his money.