Project 2100CD

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
I got this saw a couple weeks ago, not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet, but I wanted a Husky project....so I gots me one :D. I have A LOT of irons in the fire right now, so this will probably take me awhile before she's complete again...Ill update it as I progress along.

I forgot to take any picture before I tore it down, but here's a little before video...
[video=youtube;sAhCu3DD-QI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sAhCu3DD-QI[/video]

I made a few cuts with it after I got it....
[video=youtube;3vt8jV1ByoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3vt8jV1ByoI[/video]

Here she sets now. I got a NOS case with new bearings to put the crank in. The bearings was spinning in the case and had A LOT of side to side movement......I split the case and took the crank out with my hands only! I ran across a NOS tank and a couple of NOS top covers so I got them too. As it sets now,I have swapped out everything out of the old tank into the new tank except for the AV buffers, I haven't figured out how to get them out yet without messing them up.....and they're in great shape. It had a new fuel line and tank vent already. I have new oil lines coming for the regular oiler and the manual oiler, The other ones was a little brittle so I figured what the heck.

Ill have some more when the case gasket arrives.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
It will look a lot better with the new parts on it. It was a good runner even with all the problems it had with the bearings.

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
If you ever run one with a thin ring it you'll throw that thick job to the cub, stock or modded:yup:

Really. I didn't figure they would be a lot of difference between the 2 in a stock saw.......Im wrong a lot too though :yup:. This is the only 2100 I've ever ran....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
That is going to be one gorgeous saw when you're done. Hell of a find with the NOS parts. If I had that I don't know if I could do anything more than make it a shelf queen, awesome saw!

Reactions: 2 people

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
The thin ring will make alot more Dynamic compreshion (PSI @ full speed) the thin rings have what they call a pumping effect.
Believe it or not they will make the saw pull over easier when you go to start it also,You may already know this but starting those 2100 is like pull starting a tank...

Yeah It's a bear to pull over. A buddy was over the first time I started it,,, he said it needed a kick start lol.

As the build sets now, Im waiting on the operator presence lever and the case gasket. I found NOS of both, then I can proceed on.....but I gotta finish my 066 entry first.

Reactions: 1 person

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
I'm glad you're making progress on it. It will look good when you get it done.

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN

A little progress. FINALLY got the AV bushings out without messing them up. They are in great shape for as old as this saw is. Just put the crank in the new cases, that was much easier than expected! As far as i know, crank seals and the operator presence lever and we'll be in business. The lever is coming from Canada and i figured it would done be here. Fixxin order the seals.

Reactions: 4 people

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
Any one know what the ring end gap should be for this saw? Isn't it so much per MM of bore? I slid the ring squarely down the bore. Just by eyeballing it, it looks to be about .020! It felt like it had a ton of compression, but I never checked it. I have a set of new 1.5mm rings for a 394xp, which is 56mm as well and will fit this piston, but I'm wanting to say I read somewhere not to run some kind of ring in a 2100 cylinder....something about the chrome plating and steel rings.....or maybe I have my wires crossed up, anybody have any insight on this?

Ring gap

Nice bore, should we port it? :evilgrin:

jacob j.

When I let my hair down, my friends call me Dick C
Jan 9, 2012
The 394 rings will go just fine in your 2100. The original 2100 rings on most models were tool steel. I'm attaching two of the service bulletins,
one deals with a change in the crankcase and one deals with an update to the models that had the cast iron rings.

Edit: I guess I won't be attaching any files because the size limit for .PDFs is 19.5 kb. You guys need to change this since pretty much
every PDF is existence is larger than 19.5 kb.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
I vote thin ring no porting. My reasoning, a thin ring saw in this series gets hella money at auction. It would return your investment. Also the guys willing to spend big money for these don't really care for ground cylinders. My two cents. Grind a way on an ugly one:banana::banana:

Reactions: 3 people

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
I've thought about it, im just gonna leave it stock. It more than likely won't get used much and id like to keep it original. I dont know about the thin ring yet, they're kinda expensive. There's a set of rings on the bay right now for $40!! It appears to have the jungle muffler and clutch the best i can tell.....

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
The thin ring will make alot more Dynamic compreshion (PSI @ full speed) the thin rings have what they call a pumping effect.
Believe it or not they will make the saw pull over easier when you go to start it also,You may already know this but starting those 2100 is like pull starting a tank...
Great info man, as I did not know all the difference between the two either. I believe my 2101 is thin ring. Just told a friend last night on facebook the 2100 series saws, are the best built I ever laid hands on. Being close to the 660 for me, and my two favorites or two of em. But if I had to walk away from all saws made, and pick one you would probably see the 2101 in my hands.

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
Durand looking good for sure, yeah a little heavier but with a light bar you can lighten em up. And not too bad weight wise over a 660 to the feel any way. I bet once you get it going you will run it more than you think. Jason did I talk about em that much?:evilgrin:

komatsuvarna

Jan 10, 2012
South East TN
Got a little head way made today, but not much.... I've been lazy today. Got the case put on the tank, piston and cylinder on. Wen't through the carb and disabled the governor while I was at it. Getting the throttle trigger and presence lever in all at the same time was a real chore....I know why I see a lot of them with out the presence lever now!:ranting:

Ill get in gear and have her finished up in a week or 2....maybe. :)

Reactions: 3 people