Quantcast

Pulling Crank Seals

woodgrenade

Reaction score
I've seen the Stihl puller, I've seen the various Husky pullers. I've also seen the prices for each. Then there is the gammet of modified pullers from the Lysle one all the way to notched screwdrivers. What is everyone out there using?

Metals406

346 and 372 spikes coming soon. PM me for details.
Reaction score
I've seen the Stihl puller, I've seen the various Husky pullers. I've also seen the prices for each. Then there is the gammet of modified pullers from the Lysle one all the way to notched screwdrivers. What is everyone out there using?

I forge out an old chainsaw file into a hook that fits around the crank, I heat to non-mag quench in water or oil, and draw to a spring temper.

There aren't many tools out there that I won't build for myself.

woodgrenade

Reaction score
I forge out an old chainsaw file into a hook that fits around the crank, I heat to non-mag quench in water or oil, and draw to a spring temper.

There aren't many tools out there that I won't build for myself.

Sounds pretty cool. Do you have any pics of the set up?

nmurph

Reaction score
I bought a Lisle and it didn't last. The blade straightened out. I now have customized screwdriver which has pulled better than 25 sets without a problem.

H 2 H

Reaction score
This is what I used for a while but it went to tool heaven awhile ago

The Stihl puller is coming my way now

countryhog

Reaction score
There is a pic of my modified screwdriver in the pressure / vac thread

This is what I used for a while but it went to tool heaven awhile ago

The Stihl puller is coming my way now

thanks guys. good info. i took one of them paint can openers and ground it down thin. still trying to figure out how to apply axial pressure. i like the long handle so you can apply axial force idea. can't do pix yet cause not near my shop

Al Smith

Reaction score
Northwestern Ohio in the middle of a giant corn fi
The easiest way to pull a seal is with a drywall screw .You pierce a little hole in the metal portion with a sharp punch,ice pick whatever .Screw in the screw and pull it out .Simple as that .Even with a seal puller you are going to ruin the seal .

A little teeny seal like a Stihl 200T you can work out with a pair of ice picks .

stihlonlynow

Huskeevarnee Hawg
Reaction score
The Stihl puller worked real slick on the one 260 that I have used it on the flywheel side. I think anything is going to tear up the seal?

sefh3

Reaction score
Where are you guys buy these Stihl pullers? I need one!!!:santabanana:

countryhog

Reaction score
i've always hesitated to try the drywall screw thing cause i'm not certain how i'm gonna keep the metal pieces from dropping in to the case/bearings. eh?

Eccentric

Walkin' Boss
Reaction score
i've always hesitated to try the drywall screw thing cause i'm not certain how i'm gonna keep the metal pieces from dropping in to the case/bearings. eh?

I use my shop vac to pull filings/bits out from around the crank end and bearing after pulling a seal. Bigger concern for me is making sure I don't damage the case in the seal area. Some saws have delicate little rings of mag around the seals (and small seals that don't give much 'safety' room around the drywall screw). Also gotta be careful to not drill or screw too deep and damage the bearing's ball cage. On saws where I don't want to use drywall screws, I instead use modified screwdrivers and such under the metal ring of the seal................and pull 'em with my small slide hammer.

Latest posts