Quantcast

Shipping/mailing stuff

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
How in the hell do you guys ship stuff so cheap? I have tried nearly everything to bring shipping costs down but it seems to kick out even the smallest of packages it starts at $15 and goes way up via UPS? I like UPS for the tracking numbers and peace of mind. I've had issues with USPS and they've been a pain to deal with. It doesn't seem to matter how much stuff I ship either, meaning I must have to send out a TON of stuff in order to get a reasonable discount?

MacLaren

Reaction score
I know I sent my 660 to Scotts in Wisconsin for $22.00 However, when ya add insurance she goes up. But part of that deal was because it was going to Scott's business. Usually, with no insurance pho a saw will run me 25 bucks. UPS. But I usually put a grand worth insurance. I forget what it is with that.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I know I sent my 660 to Scotts in Wisconsin for $22.00 However, when ya add insurance she goes up. But part of that deal was because it was going to Scott's business. Usually, with no insurance pho a saw will run me 25 bucks. UPS. But I usually put a grand worth insurance. I forget what it is with that.

Ya that's what gets me, shipping a 1 pound, 6x6x6 box runs $16 to a certain place....!!! I've shipped a saw and that ran $28 I think, PHO, and not a grand worth of insurance.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Ya that's what gets me, shipping a 1 pound, 6x6x6 box runs $16 to a certain place....!!! I've shipped a saw and that ran $28 I think, PHO, and not a grand worth of insurance.

And in the past 6 months I'd say I've shipped 4-5 saws and a couple dozen parts boxes and it's pretty ridiculous what it costs. It's tough to even give a break to someone to make it worthwhile when you have to add some exorbitant shipping charge that brings costs back up to normal pricing.

I understand I could get away with the USPS if it fits it ships boxes, because a lot of times it would, I just have a hard time trusting it. I don't want to eat the cost of whatever gets lost, and I certainly don't want to make someone else on the other end eat it either!

MacLaren

Reaction score
I know anytime the wife shops on the internet, she always trys to get the free shipping. It really has gotten out of hand what little stuff like you talked about costs to ship.

TLandrum

Reaction score
i use the post office and ship priority mail with delivery confirmation. i will alsoo do insurance if the buyer wants it. ive had some stuff take longerthan it should but for the most part i have had no troubles.i average shipping a saw once a week and have been doing that for a couple of years.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
USPS sucks my ass for shipping anything large as far as I'm concerned.

When it comes to saws and saw stuff I use UPS or (most often) FedEx. Although I never find that it's cheap - no matter what or how I do it, it's still rather pricey.

But like every other service providing company out there, they've gotta make their money somehow....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I guess from now on it's make sure you buy more than just one or two things because the shipping ain't gonna change! About 10 years ago I did a lot of eBaying both buying and selling, and it seems as though shipping rates have tripled and even quadrupled since then. I can see the costs associated with shipping going up somewhat, but I just never thought it was that much of a difference now!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I know anytime the wife shops on the internet, she always trys to get the free shipping. It really has gotten out of hand what little stuff like you talked about costs to ship.

Definitely always try to snag the free shipping deals, I sometimes will even avoid something if I can't bring myself around to buying enough for free shipping as the value of it is almost lost. Definitely with parts orders here in the shop. If someone wants to pay the shipping to get something here early, that's fine, but I'm definitely not going to eat shipping on a less than minimum order!

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
For large packages like chainsaws we send everything Fed Ex.

I sent out 2 saws last week, a 362xp and Makita 7900 both with 20" bars and chains
The Makita was 23$ to Michigan, and Husky was 18$ to Mass. that's with insurance
and picked up at the shop.

For anything 13oz. and less it goes US Postal First class for less than 3$

Most anything else goes Priority for between 4-12$ like a 6x6x24 package that
weighs 10 pounds would cost about 10-12$ to ship across the country.

These prices are including tracking # and delivery confirmation, everything we sell
gets these to help protect our butts.

And also setting up an account online will save you $$$ over paying at the post office.

We ship 15-25 packages everyday so we've had to figure how to make money on shipping.

To send a drum sprocket anywhere in the US in a 4x4x4 box costs 2.75$ US postal first class mail.

Last edited:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
For large packages like chainsaws we send everything Fed Ex.

I sent out 2 saws last week, a 362xp and Makita 7900 both with 20" bars and chains
The Makita was 23$ to Michigan, and Husky was 18$ to Mass. that's with insurance
and picked up at the shop.

For anything 13oz. and less it goes US Postal First class for less than 3$

Most anything else goes Priority for between 4-12$ like a 6x6x24 package that
weighs 10 pounds would cost about 10-12$ to ship across the country.

These prices are including tracking # and delivery confirmation, everything we sell
gets these to help protect our butts.

And also setting up an account online will save you $$$ over paying at the post office.

We ship 15-25 packages everyday so we've had to figure how to make money on shipping.

To send a drum sprocket anywhere in the US in a 4x4x4 box costs 2.75$ US postal first class mail.

Basically what you're saying is I need to ditch UPS like a bad habit and get hooked up with online accounts for FedEx and USPS. I can deal with that. I still have my hesitations with USPS as I've had a couple issues in the past 12 months with packages, but maybe I'm just the exception. Everyone else seems to have a pretty positive experience with them I guess. I'll get looking into it.

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Reaction score
just bite the bullet and ship usps. i was able to ship 20 pound power head with ins for 25 bucks from ky to oh.

but cost also depends on where its going. same size ran about 45 to out west to ca.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Basically what you're saying is I need to ditch UPS like a bad habit and get hooked up with online accounts for FedEx and USPS. I can deal with that. I still have my hesitations with USPS as I've had a couple issues in the past 12 months with packages, but maybe I'm just the exception. Everyone else seems to have a pretty positive experience with them I guess. I'll get looking into it.

Bingo!

The only problem I've had with the post office has been when I used parcel post,
and even my local postmaster said don't use parcel post.

The problem with UPS shipping is the rate is dictated by the local independently run UPS store.
They add on their own fees ranging from 3-10$ per package.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I do have an account set up, and it doesnt seem to make a difference in pricing. Both online and the ups store seem the same. An actual ups shipping center is too far away to try there.

Gink

Reaction score
I have it easy when it comes to shipping stuff. I have a ups station at work and since we ship so much stuff it is really cheap. I'm always shipping stuff out of there.

Gink

Reaction score
Ya Frank can send stuff for about half what I can... so volume dose make a BIG difference:smoking:

I bet we ship a couple hundred thousand a year just in ups. Not to mention all of the other freight carriers we use. It is crazy how much we ship.

nmurph

Reaction score
I have ditched UPS. Everything is now shipped USPS PP with insurance. 346 with 18" bars and $500 insurance go for about $19 coast to coast. I have shipped about 40 saws this way and I have never had a single problem. The delivery time is usually about a day longer than what UPS Ground costs.

I use duct tape for packaging. I buy it at the local DG and don't skimp on it. The edges get a layer, the corners where the bars rest get three or four layers, and the whole box gets a couple of rounds in each direction. I totally layer the top and use a Sharpie to write the address. Then a layer of clear packing tape over the address and off to the mailman.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I've been using ups lately due to simplicity online. Fedex is just not working for some reason so I've given up on them. USPS will get another shot later on.

The discounts are starting to take affect with a shippers account online and it seems like each package I send out now I'm getting better pricing on. It's costing about $6-8 less to ship a saw to the same address now than it was when I started this thread. I'll see where this goes, I like the ease of use.

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Reaction score
you need to look into usps flat rate and regional boxes.