Quantcast

Shorten a connecting rod?

mweba

Reaction score
Has any one tried this? I'm giving it a go and wearing full body protection LOL

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Ok I'll bite, why? Stroke still gonna be the same, sounds like ya cut the cyl down too far?

mweba

Reaction score
Ok I'll bite, why? Stroke still gonna be the same, sounds like ya cut the cyl down too far?

LOL. I got hung on the phone and didn't get back to it.

This is the ms310 with a worn piston. The cylinder looks great so I hunted for another piston option. Hoped to find one to cut down due to it being clam design but only came up with a Mac Titan 57 thin ring piston. Unfortunately, the pin placement is 3.5mm lower....obviously can't cut that much off. Being it is a beater, I cut the 3.5 out of the rod. What do I have to loose?Right

mweba

Reaction score
This is a pic with the piston before I blended the rod and after shaving the bells.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
That's frikkin sweet, doin stuff like that. I never woulda thought. Gotta see if I can find some tapatalk rep here somewhere...

mweba

Reaction score
That's frikkin sweet, doin stuff like that. I never woulda thought. Gotta see if I can find some tapatalk rep here somewhere...

Ha I wish there was a rep function. So far all I can say is it has 174 lbs compression and sharp acceleration. Will dig into some wood tomorrow, get some numbers and hopefully not have to change a dayum thing. Clamshell is the longest of all four letter words when it comes to porting.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Ha I wish there was a rep function. So far all I can say is it has 174 lbs compression and sharp acceleration. Will dig into some wood tomorrow, get some numbers and hopefully not have to change a dayum thing. Clamshell is the longest of all four letter words when it comes to porting.

Lol just plain working on let alone porting!!

mweba

Reaction score
Have run three tanks through this thing already, it is thirsty so that isn't saying much lol. It four strokes heavy at 14,200 and in this vid it is pulling for the most part 10200 in the cut. 20" 3/8 full

[video=youtube_share;khmvGjPRjMk]http://youtu.be/khmvGjPRjMk[/video]

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I have to "like" all your posts as it won't let me rep ya again til I spread it around :pirate:

mweba

Reaction score
I tore this saw down last night for some grinding to find both plastic bearing cages are broken :D. Da plastic can't handle 14500 I guess. Slid a good used set back on her, made some chips and reassembled. I also advanced the ignition and it did not care for that one bit. Pulled the flywheel and reset it to factory. Will get some test cuts in tomorrow. Rod is holding well so far.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Nice! Is there a steel caged bearing that crosses over with the same dimensions? And why ya runnin both rings?

mweba

Reaction score
Im sure there is. Don't care to have much loot in this thing. Its gonna blow if I have something to do with it. Didn't give the two rings any thought.:cool:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Im sure there is. Don't care to have much loot in this thing. Its gonna blow if I have something to do with it. Didn't give the two rings any thought.:cool:

Ya, sounds about like me. The 136 I messed around with is starting to have running issues, doesn't like to idle. I think I may have gone a little too crazy with the Dremel :evilgrin: Ran like a bastid and cut awesome so far though, maybe it's not a grinder issue and something else.....?

Did you do any porting to the saw or just try to get the rod/piston combo to work? How did the stock porting line up with the Mac piston?

mweba

Reaction score
I've played with a couple 36/136. They are surprising runners! Did some grinding but the skirt and pin placement don't give you much room. Mainly looking for a way to boost compression as this is difficult in these saws. Should be a fun toy until it blows

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I've played with a couple 36/136. They are surprising runners! Did some grinding but the skirt and pin placement don't give you much room. Mainly looking for a way to boost compression as this is difficult in these saws. Should be a fun toy until it blows

Good thing top ends are cheap for it lol, and if skirts and pins are the issue with grinding then I think I just found my problem :lol: I widened and widened and widened...... til there was very little space left to widen..... :evilgrin:

Latest posts