Show me your wood!

Grimmy

Dec 29, 2013
Iowa
What did you cut today? Show me your wood.

I'll start it off. I cut this Wednesday after work and got it split up. Went back yesterday and picked it up. Ready to be stacked outside. I know it's oak, but not sure if it's a variation of oak. I was thinking maybe burr oak as the whole truck had a twist to it and it was sorta knotty. Was a good feeling to break out the 660 and 441 from being in the basement since December. One step closer to having the stache for next winter. :)

20140416_165847.jpg
20140416_174722.jpg
20140418_154036.jpg
20140418_154043.jpg

Reactions: 15 people

Modifiedmark

Nov 1, 2013
I just loaded some saws in the truck, hooked the trailer up and am waiting on my son to come over to go with me to cut some. It will be nice going with the son as we have not done it together for some time.

Might have a picture tonight.

Reactions: 5 people

Modifiedmark

Nov 1, 2013
It's tonight. Got a bunch cut up and hauled home today. Thank god for the Bobcat my buddy had there today to help carry it out and load up with.

I got over 2 cord on my bigger trailer while my son brought my other truck with the little trailer and we loaded it up also. Glad he stuck around and helped unload it.

Attachments

Reactions: 5 people

Typhke

Wallutch
Jan 6, 2014
Belgium
I've cut +- 8 cords a while back and I'm splitting it with the x27 now. It's going slow but I haven't spend any full days on splitting so far, just too many other stuff going on. Here is a picture of the stack I'm working on:

15042014266.jpg

Also started on the 3rd row and got to the black line. Stack is around 6'7" high on top of the pallets. Outside rows are European white oak while the inner row is birch.
Each part is around half a cord, so around 2.5 cords done.

Reactions: 11 people

3000 FPS

Oct 31, 2013
Wyo.
It's tonight. Got a bunch cut up and hauled home today. Thank god for the Bobcat my buddy had there today to help carry it out and load up with.

I got over 2 cord on my bigger trailer while my son brought my other truck with the little trailer and we loaded it up also. Glad he stuck around and helped unload it.

Looks like you you used a little of everything on your cuttin. Husky, Dolmar, Poulan yellow, and Poulan green.
Nice haul Mark.

Reactions: 1 person

Modifiedmark

Nov 1, 2013
Looks like you you used a little of everything on your cuttin. Husky, Dolmar, Poulan yellow, and Poulan green.
Nice haul Mark.
Well Roger, you have heard me say before that the Poulan Pro 365 is one of my preferred firewood saws to use so no surprise its in the truck along with the 3000. The Husky is mostly just a orange Poulan as well.

Most the stuff we are cutting here is smaller but there were a couple that were bigger so the Dolmar 7900 came out to cut the stumps off while my buddy was holding them in the air with the excavator. He dont have to hold them very long when were using that 7900. :rock2:

Bet you can't guess whats in the cooler in the back of the truck. LOL

3000 FPS

Oct 31, 2013
Wyo.
What's the ETA on the house being done? Looks like a nice one. :rock2:
End of August or beginning of September. It will not be soon enough for me. I have a bunch of good Poulan saws right now that I need to get going but I have not a good shop for it yet so I am just being patient.

Just to name a few. 3750, 3500, 3700, 375, 395, 4000, 365.

3000 FPS

Oct 31, 2013
Wyo.
Well Roger, you have heard me say before that the Poulan Pro 365 is one of my preferred firewood saws to use so no surprise its in the truck along with the 3000. The Husky is mostly just a orange Poulan as well.

Most the stuff we are cutting here is smaller but there were a couple that were bigger so the Dolmar 7900 came out to cut the stumps off while my buddy was holding them in the air with the excavator. He dont have to hold them very long when were using that 7900. :rock2:

Bet you can't guess whats in the cooler in the back of the truck. LOL
Well my best guess on the cooler would be a couple of cold brews maybe some lunch.

Reactions: 3 people

3000 FPS

Oct 31, 2013
Wyo.
Cut some more today. Brought home another 2 cords. Got about this much laying there yet. Lot of weight on this load, mostly all oak. Used the 141 and Poulan Pro 365 for most of this, but I did get a chance to run my new to me Jonsered 930 today, there a mean animal...

Never have run a Jonsered 930 or even seen one. Probably the closet I have would be my Husky 2100 cd.

Looks like another nice load. You have there.

How did you do last winter on your wood supply, did you have enough to get through.

Modifiedmark

Nov 1, 2013
Never have run a Jonsered 930 or even seen one. Probably the closet I have would be my Husky 2100 cd.

Looks like another nice load. You have there.

How did you do last winter on your wood supply, did you have enough to get through.

Roger, the 930 is a pretty good strong saw for 87cc. I ran one Chris had and was impressed with it. After I picked up and redone a 920 I was still left longing for a 930 yet as I didnt realize at the time how much difference there was between the two of them.

Yes this is some nice fire wood I have been getting, but I think I'm done hauling home cut rounds for now, I dont burn that much wood most the time as I only heat my shop with it. I might start hauling home some logs to stack up for later on, I dont want to season too much up ahead of time.

I had not cut much the last year so my supply got a bit lower then usual but we had a extreme winter this year to deal with.

BPS

Apr 4, 2014
Wyoming
Trying to get ready for next winter. Not much free wood around here so I take what I can get.

From time to time I have a tree to cut down in the big town to the west of us.
99.9% of the time there is wood, free you haul it.

Every piece some one else takes is one less my back doesn't have to lift.

Reactions: 1 person

Grimmy

Dec 29, 2013
Iowa
Went out today, to get out of the house, and got some camping firewood. I'm not sure what it is, I think it's ash. I know it burns quickly and doesn't leave a lot of ash, but it splits nice. I cut a few chunks and then broke out the Fiskars to break the chunks down so I can easily get them in the atv wagon. I found this last year where I cut and cut about 3 chunks out of it and well I used it for the fire ring. I didn't have any more room for wood and it got too cold on me, so that's why I went back out today for more of it. I hope to get more next week. I'm trying to rid my fire ring pile of the crappy stuff I got last year, that really isn't worth anything, but I wasn't going to leave it lay where I cut, as it's not my land and the nice old man is giving me exclusive rights to be the only one cutting on his 140 acre timber. Was such a nice day out, breezy, and not too warm, but swinging the maul to pound the axe in started to warm me up.

Attachments

Reactions: 8 people