Silvey Chain Grinder

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I know you guys are probably looking for square stuff in this thread, but that's not where I want to go.

I'm going to buy a new grinder in the next 12 months. I'd like it to be square but I need a good round grinder first. When I first got my 511ax I was satisfied with it. Not so much anymore. Somehow I've worn the vise out already. It clamps the chain but still allows the cutter to move sometimes when grinding. Then the vise assembly itself is allowed to move, the bushing fit is worn. And it's not a replaceable bushing, I have to buy a new vise. They'd probably send me the parts at no cost but I'm still not happy with the grinder overall. As a personal grinder it would be fine. I bought it 11/6/10, so I've had it roughly 2 years. I have only 650 records of sharpened chains in the computer, so add to that the ones that I didn't charge for, forgot to add to a work order, did for myself or a friend, etc. That should definitely not wear out a machine.

Anyway, onto the topic of Silvey. I want their round grinder. But first, has anybody here used one? Is it really better than the rest? It looks like the head travels on one plane rather than a swinging motion, and I like that. It also seems to have other features built in for compensation that the others don't. It looks better built.

I hate sharpening chains. It's a money loser in my opinion, but a customer keeper at the same time. I want this to be mostly a time saver but also high quality sharpening. I refuse to blow through the sharpening because I dislike it, they have to be done right in my shop - which usually makes it take even longer. So along with buying the Silvey I'm going to get a higher quality ABN/CBN whatever the designation is for those wheels as I like the no dressing no wear no adjusting features along with faster cooler grinds.

Could you make a better recommendation or is what I have in mind pretty much the way to go? This will be set up with a 3/16" wheel pretty much permanently. I will keep the Oregon for the 3/8lo-pro stuff, and my 40 year old grinder for depth gauges.

Also, where is the best place to pick up a Silvey (New)? I'm looking at a $750ish price tag at the moment, would obviously like to spend less like any other normal person would :cucumber:

Reactions: 1 person

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Little off your intention but Oregon will send you a new table. On my second one, they are aware of the premature wear.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
Tk check with madsens for the best prices on silvey. Other than that i don't have any suggestions to where to find one.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Madsens were in the $900 range I think. I don't mind the money as long as it is a good unit. Have you used one?

And ill get the table but this machine is definitely not going to be my primary sharpener for much longer lol.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
I've never used a round grinder period. All I've used is the swing arm and the RS IIs that I owned.

Cut4fun

May 9, 2012
chainsawrepair.createaforum.com
Do not get a HOS. If getting a stihl one make sure it is USG. Also not much cost savings for new compared to silvey. USG is close to $600 new. Get one on used market lot cheaper.

I have a usg and rate it :10: now if I could ever find the rare square chain attachment head :dunno: not that I need it or even care about square chain anymore, just because I want it. :retarded2::rofl:

Last edited:

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Jan 10, 2012
kentucky
Do not get a HOS. If getting a stihl one make sure it is USG. Also not much cost savings for new compared to silvey. USG is close to $600 new. Get one on used market lot cheaper.

I have a usg and rate it :10: now if I could ever find the rare square chain attachment head :dunno: not that I need it or even care about square chain anymore, just because I want it. :retarded2::rofl:
why not get a HOS grinder. if you only doing chains theres no different in performance. and i have both. the USG with more money can do other stuff but not anymore then the HOS in terms of chain sharpening.

i know tk said money isnt the issue, but 780+shipping is the cheapest you're going to find a 510. last time shipping ran around 80 bucks from west to east on a heavy grinder.

HOS retails for 550

USG 650

but iam sure if you have a stihl dealer you can deal with on price list.

i have never used the 510 but looks like its even a better built unit with a reversible motor then the stihl grinders. so its better in that sense.

Cut4fun

May 9, 2012
chainsawrepair.createaforum.com

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Jan 10, 2012
kentucky
So which one is the best? Not just better than what I've got. Only gonna buy one more grinder and call it good.
get the 510.

Simple reason for me.

Look at B that is my reason I went with USG. HOS dont do that angle does it, its solid and dont adjust like USG . I also use different B angles then their chart :happywink:.
i know, i own both.

good reason enough since you use it.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Ok lol I just want the best grinder that's going to give me the longest service life in my shop. I don't need race chains or special grinds. Just quality, consistent, maintenance free grinding for the rest o muh life! I don't expect it to never need anything, but we all know what quality tools do for us!

Troy G

Jan 10, 2012
Sounds like you need the Silvey 510 and a CBN wheel and you will be ready to rock. I have been trying to screw around with square grind and it is sure is a hell of a lot more screwing around than sharpening round, IMHO.

Reactions: 2 people
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
chainsaw123 WTB - Silvey Round Ground Grinder Wanted 0
Jimmy in NC Silvey Owners Chainsawz 6
Black Dog Chainsaw Silvey RSII For Sale 1
trx250r180 silvey parts ? Chainsawz 6
T Silvey 300/510 Wanted 13
srcarr52 Silvey RSII bearing slide kits. For Sale 1
Poncho NIB Silvey 510 round grinder For Sale 1
Watsonr Silvey 300/500 grinding wheels Chainsawz 2
Yukon Stihl Silvey swingarm...yay or nay? Hawgz Garage 4
Troy G SOLD - Silvey Pro Sharp For Sale - SOLD For Sale 3
T nice silvey razr sharp ll For Sale 8
S good used silvey grinder Wanted 17
komatsuvarna Silvey Razursharp II For Sale 2
Nixon Chain question . Chainsawz 52
trx250r180 Stihl usg round chain grinder For Sale 9
cat-face timber Homelite Super XL 925 Bar/Chain Wanted 3
Nickolas Chain parts and pieces Wanted 0
N .063 gauge .325 chain , is it common in the USA ? , I need some Chainsawz 26
2broke2ride ID this chain please Chainsawz 3
N Word is Blount / Oregon chain / bars has been sold Hawgz Back 40 24
S Makita 6401, sugihara 32" bar, how long of a chain? Chainsawz 9
mdavlee Race chain for Jeremy and Shauna Chainsawz 6
Cut4fun Chain build off GTG'z & Eventz 8
Majorpayne Handling Bulk Chain Chainsawz 58
H Chain geekery: Chisel Ground vs Chisel Filed Chainsawz 21
G Need 32" bar and full skip chain Wanted 8
ft. churchill Timberline chain sharpener Chainsawz 5
P Menard's Chain Prices Chainsawz 25
B Wanted 3/4 harvester chain Wanted 7
Magnumitis Chain grinder Hawgz Garage 39
DefinitiveDave Franzen sharpener, stihl service clinic, safety chain, counterfeit saws, etc. Chainsawz 31
C Chain Saw Industry magazines Chainsawz 1
B General 60 inch bar and chain for Homelite For Sale 1
BloodOnTheIce Homelite 340 with 16" bar and chain For Sale 5
BloodOnTheIce New 36" Stihl .404 .063 Semi Chisel Full Skip Chain For Sale 3
Wood Doctor Stihl 028 and Chain Pitch Chainsawz 23
S 028av chain brake wanted Wanted 1
P Greg Norman recovering from chain-saw accident The Razorback Lounge 2
B Stihl 020t Stuck chain adjuster Chainsawz 0
Black Dog Chainsaw .325 058 chain - 100' roll or loops For Sale 0
Black Dog Chainsaw MacCulloch .354 chain For Sale 1
R Stihl Chain... want some , at pretty good prices? Chainsawz 14
L Chain Identifcation Chainsawz 1
DefinitiveDave NOS Stihl RS2 3/8" .063 chain For Sale 3
trx250r180 chain grinder For Sale 17
axlr8 Chain sharpener. Wanted 22
fossil Trying to locate some .404 X .058 chain Chainsawz 14
50blues wanted Stihl ms250 ez start recoil and tool less chain cover Wanted 0
C whos got the best price/value on 13" or 15" guide bar and chain for my 024 stihl ??? Chainsawz 18
P Bar and Chain Oil Jugs Chainsawz 60