Quantcast

SkilSaw 1645/P.M. 340 oiler question.

67L36Driver

Reaction score
How do the oiler work. Diaphram pump driven by crankcase pressure?

Reason I ask is the saw has set for over two years and this afternoon I figured to crank him up. Got him runnin' a spell (5-8 minutes) till the carb. was in the mood again. Been dry a long time. Went thru a spell of very dense blue smoke like it was sucking bar oil but then after a minute it cleared up. Cut a big cookie and ran/cut like a champ. Just normal exhaust of 32:1.

Blue cloud of smoke scared me.

Anyone got an IPL or operator manual?

Last edited:

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Reaction score
I have 1629/pm 330, that if you can use anything off, id send for shipping, if you want... has comp, spark, stripped plug hole....

67L36Driver

Reaction score
I have 1629/pm 330, that if you can use anything off, id send for shipping, if you want... has comp, spark, stripped plug hole....

Thanks for the offer. The only thing this one is missing is bar plates.

Got him off evilbay early in my CAD affliction as a non runner. All it needed was the F-M starter fixed and the usual points and fuel system service.

The oiler seems to be taking care of the 20" bar OK but it would be nice to know about adjustments etc..

IMG_0491 (Copy).jpg

Last edited:

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Reaction score

Got him off evilbay early in my CAD affliction as a non runner. All it needed was the F-M starter fixed and the usual points and fuel system service.

The oiler seems to be taking care of the 20" bar OK but it would be nice to know about adjustments etc..

View attachment 8251

someday ill fix it and run it... but its just sittin right now.... pretty g'lil saws from what ive heard...

IEL

Imaginary Girlfriend
Reaction score
I have a junk PM 340 in pieces in a box you could have anything you need off. I have the old paper IPLs. Might be able to scan them off for you?

Although mine is a skilsaw 1629 (also a pm340 but with manual oiler only) so the IPL might not be much of any help.....

I absolutly hate these saws personally.....

IEL

Imaginary Girlfriend
Reaction score
The main rod bearings are not held in in any way, so if your luck is bad like mine, the slightest side load dumps all the bearings out...... And you have to split the crank to put it back together......

The one old canadian made saw I see as nothing but scrap mag......

67L36Driver

Reaction score
I have a junk PM 340 in pieces in a box you could have anything you need off. I have the old paper IPLs. Might be able to scan them off for you?

Although mine is a skilsaw 1629 (also a pm340 but with manual oiler only) so the IPL might not be much of any help.....

I absolutly hate these saws personally.....

Yeah, I remember your rant about the crank assembly. But, this one was a complete non-runner just needing some TLC.

For now, I'm at the stage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"........................................................

Scan would be great just to see how he's held together.

Last edited:

IEL

Imaginary Girlfriend
Reaction score
If you never take them apart they are fine. If you have to remove the cylinder, its toast.....

I will see what I can do tonight.

67L36Driver

Reaction score
What really attracted me to the 1645/340 to begin with is the styling and the upright piston ported layout. He do run good.

B.T.W. I can 'swap' you some Lombard IPL scans if you need 'em. L.O.L.

rocketnorton

Raisin Hater
Reaction score
The main rod bearings are not held in in any way, so if your luck is bad like mine, the slightest side load dumps all the bearings out...... And you have to split the crank to put it back together......

The one old canadian made saw I see as nothing but scrap mag......

patience and grease....

Little Al

Reaction score

View attachment 8251[/QOilUOTE]
On the fly wheel side of the saw front lower left as you look at the flywheel is a threaded slotted screw with lock nut that is the bar oil flow adjuster, this unit bolts to the crankcase with 2 bolts, it is a diaphragm pump worked by crankcase pulses. [all under this cover] turn adjusting screw out to increase flow, reverse to decrease in 1/8 tun increments Spares as you probably know are rocking horse poo category Somewhere in the deepest darkest regions of the workshop I [think I have a manual] Need a couple of months training & uprating the tracker dog if you are desperate:bananaskip:

67L36Driver

Reaction score
Thanks Al, I'll give it a look.

Edit: I suspected that to be the auto-oiler. Now that we know which way to turn him we have more confidence.

Last edited:

IEL

Imaginary Girlfriend
Reaction score
I am sure that with enough work I could get it going, but its just not worh the frustration for a common saw that I dislike that much.....

Besides, I have another identical one I could get going if I wanted......

Latest posts