Quantcast

Slightly toasted and still smoking!!

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
Got this MS460 to diagnose tonight. It's a year old and been run in a logging company since new. Owner said it had zero compression......and it did lol! The H side was tuned 1/8th turn off the leanest side of the limiter, and the tank vent was way WAY WAAAAYYYYYY WAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY (you get the idea) stopped up. It set in the sun for just about 5 minutes, I opened the gas cap and it blew gas everywhere...worst I've seen yet. Anyway.....

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
Piston ring end pin is gone. It was pressed way back in the piston when I pulled the cylinder, it just came out sometime when I was driving the wrist pin out....that was a job too BTW.

Top ring ends are wore down big time. The ends was in the clutch side transfer port.

Also, It looks like this piston has been so hot, It's actually ''drooped'' in the center of the crown. No kidding, I laid a straight edge across the crown and they's about .010 gap in the middle where it's lower than the edges. Also got some kind of funky looking crap under the piston. Looks like welding slag lol

Denis Gionet

Reaction score
Also, It looks like this piston has been so hot, It's actually ''drooped'' in the center of the crown. No kidding, I laid a straight edge across the crown and they's about .010 gap in the middle where it's lower than the edges. Also got some kind of funky looking crap under the piston. Looks like welding slag lol

Wow, that's impressive ! Never seen a piston get that hot on the crown, that didn't jam solid in the sleeve ! And yes, that's the piston crown getting hot enough to have a structural failure, rather than just burn a hole it literally melted and drooped down. I've welded aluminum (boats mostly) and that's what it looks like when your puddle gets, um, warm....

de_dubya

Reaction score
Also, It looks like this piston has been so hot, It's actually ''drooped'' in the center of the crown. No kidding, I laid a straight edge across the crown and they's about .010 gap in the middle where it's lower than the edges.

That's one of them dished pistons used when running a turbo charger ;)

dw

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
That looks awful. How many other saws they keep the maintenance on like that one?:help:

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
That looks awful. How many other saws they keep the maintenance on like that one?:help:

Im not sure. Dude has logged about his whole life, says he's never rebuilt a say due to the local Stihlerships cost. He told me he puts them in the corner and saves them for parts incase one gets busted or ran over. Says he has about 12 blowed up 460s right now from the last 10 years lol. Im gonna have to ask him about his carb tuning abilities and a few other things......

Thinking about seeing if he wants to try a Meteor topend kit. Should be a good test for them lol.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I know a guy that does small time logging and what not, and he goes about a year on a saw then replaces it. It's just worn out and/or dead so he picks up a new one each spring, retires the old one to a yard saw if it still goes. Just rotates them out of commission. He has been a diehard Stihl guy for a while now, says he just never had luck with the Husky's. Lost the motor in it at least once or twice a year, the Stihl's somehow stay with him for a full year - most of the time. He's a run it til it's got a problem type of guy then bring it into the shop. Says he's learned his lesson about trying to finish the job and getting those last few cuts in, 99% of the time those last few cuts are pretty expensive :banana:

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
I know a guy that does small time logging and what not, and he goes about a year on a saw then replaces it. It's just worn out and/or dead so he picks up a new one each spring, retires the old one to a yard saw if it still goes. Just rotates them out of commission. He has been a diehard Stihl guy for a while now, says he just never had luck with the Husky's. Lost the motor in it at least once or twice a year, the Stihl's somehow stay with him for a full year - most of the time. He's a run it til it's got a problem type of guy then bring it into the shop. Says he's learned his lesson about trying to finish the job and getting those last few cuts in, 99% of the time those last few cuts are pretty expensive :banana:

That make's cents Tom. Not much reason to put big money in a saw that's already made ya several times what it cost new. That was this guys point as well and I agree. He said it would cost about half what a new one cost to have it fixed at the Stihlership......Im sure he's close too. He said he wants to try a rebuild job and see how it goes. Said if It'll get him through the winter and make it another 9 months or so It would be money well spent. The rest of the saw is in surprisingly good shape to be used a year, which he is more of a farmer type logger :wink:

This guy actually said he was a Husky man.....until he bought a 575 lol. After all the trouble he had with 2 new 575s in less than 6 months, he switched to Stihl......which the local dealer pushes Stihl over Huskys anyways. He did say he ran 272s, 288s, 371s, and 372s for years and years and years....until the POS 575s turned him away. He's supposedly still got many 288 lites and 371/372 parts....which is why I'm such inclined to help him out on his 460 lol.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Ya it doesn't take many issues when it comes to your tools to make you switch. I couldn't blame the guy, if they didn't work for him then something's gotta change.

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
Ya it doesn't take many issues when it comes to your tools to make you switch. I couldn't blame the guy, if they didn't work for him then something's gotta change.

True. He said he cut 9 loads of wood with the first 575 and it spun the bearings in the case. Took it back and got another one, ran it for 6 months and it done the same thing. 460's from then on out.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
He thought I was gonna try to convince him to switch back to husky because I'm a dealer. I laughed and said no you can keep with your Stihls. I'd hate to see you have to get a new hat, shirt, glasses, rear window decal, and license plate frames just because you like my saws so much. He looked kinda puzzled as I handed him my xpw. He ran it for a few minutes. Said damn is that nice, my saws don't run nearly like that! Still ain't switching back though.... I kinda had to tell him what's been done to the saw. He thought it was a loud 365 :D

Denis Gionet

Reaction score
True. He said he cut 9 loads of wood with the first 575 and it spun the bearings in the case. Took it back and got another one, ran it for 6 months and it done the same thing. 460's from then on out.

Any chance the 575 is a clamshell design ? Why would they spin ? Design flaw, loose clamping in the cases at the bearing clamping areas ? Don't tell me it's a plastic crankcase like my 435 ....

komatsuvarna

Reaction score
Any chance the 575 is a clamshell design ? Why would they spin ? Design flaw, loose clamping in the cases at the bearing clamping areas ? Don't tell me it's a plastic crankcase like my 435 ....

Nope, mag case, it's a sorry excuse for a pro saw imo too. Not sure why they would spin, but I've herd of a few that have done that. They were problem saws from day 1 IMO.

Latest posts