Quantcast

Snowmobiles!

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Who gotz what, rides where, and how much? Anybody get into porting cylinders and milling heads??

Me:

2000 Ski-Doo MXZ 700
Mostly ride out of Greenville, Maine
And I'm lucky to see 1000 miles of trail in a year, usually less.

Got some go fast goodies on it, but no motor work. They're touchy enough as it is, and with the unknown quality of fuel out in the middle of nowhere, I don't want to depend on premium gas to keep me going.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time driving a snowmobile when I worked for Bristol Mountain Ski Resort as a chairlift mechanic here in Western NY.

All the sleds were Ski-Doo 550 grand touring sleds (nothing special - more of a two seated work sled than anything else) but I got a ton of non realistic world experience on them. I say "non realistic world experience" because as many tens of thousand of hours I spent driving, it was always on clean man made snowpack and never really off the beaten trail. Those whom are skiers / snowboarders know how nice the groomed snowpack is. Not to say I never had any hairy moments - had one every time I was on the hill, those trails don't seem steep but with a 600lb sled that you can't stop it really gets yer heart going. Even had a few accidents, broke a couple ribs once too.

I quit there in August of 2006. So the last winter I drove a sled was 05/06. S'been quite some time. I guess I miss it. Not too sure though. Riding around on a sled all winter was to go to a chairlift or snow gun to go work on something. It was definitely not recreation riding. Never actually riden a sled for recreation before. I'm sure it's fun....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Oh man, crazy adrenaline rush. Acceleration like crazy. Handling on rails - and if you mess up its your ass wrapped around a tree. And the scenery, oh man, to die for. I don't ride the backwoods, I stick to the trails. I've been stuck before, it ain't fun and it's about a heart-attack amount of work in 10 minutes to get unstuck.

I'll post some pictures later on of some of the places I've been. It's been an awesome experience for me, and I don't even ride that much compared to the guys who are really into it. It's awesome because it's the only thing I've known to completely clear my head. It's just me and the machine and that next corner. Lose focus and it's game over. There's no work, no problems, no chores, no memories, no regrets. Just a clear head and adrenaline in the veins. Expensive as all hell but hey, you can't take it with ya.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score

Easy enough to figure out where you're goin?

leeha

Reaction score
Been ridin for years outta Jackman Me.
Love it up there. Cross the boarder at least
3 or 4 times a year. Most milage done in a day
was 470 on a 2000 Ski Doo MachZ. Logged almost
15000 miles on that sled before i sold it. Currently
riding an 04 Rev X 800 and an 06 MachZ X 1000.
Waiting for good snow up there before i head up.

Lee

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Been ridin for years outta Jackman Me.
Love it up there. Cross the boarder at least
3 or 4 times a year. Most milage done in a day
was 470 on a 2000 Ski Doo MachZ. Logged almost
15000 miles on that sled before i sold it. Currently
riding an 04 Rev X 800 and an 06 MachZ X 1000.
Waiting for good snow up there before i head up.

Lee

Awesome!! A buddy of mine has a Mach, 02 I think? Incredible machine! I've been over to Jackman a couple of times. Maybe I'll catch ya out on a trail sometime. I'll dig up a pic of the ol' girl I'm still bombing around on eventually. I think the biggest day I've had is either very close to 300, maybe just over it. Most likely not over though :lol:

The first two pics I posted were at the top of Coburn Mt. I think.... I'd have to double check. Climbed up into the lookout tower thing, phenomenol view!!!

Ductape

Reaction score
Good pics Tom. I haven't owned a sled in quite a few years, but one of these days I'll scan some old sledding pics.

cjcocn

McRib
Reaction score

Easy enough to figure out where you're goin?

Those are nice pics.

I have a '08 Polaris grand touring deluxe. I'm not a speed demon - it is more for getting to my camp and for messing around on.

I have some pics up in another thread, but will get around to taking some better ones and post them up.

leeha

Reaction score
Awesome!! A buddy of mine has a Mach, 02 I think? Incredible machine! I've been over to Jackman a couple of times. Maybe I'll catch ya out on a trail sometime. I'll dig up a pic of the ol' girl I'm still bombing around on eventually. I think the biggest day I've had is either very close to 300, maybe just over it. Most likely not over though :lol:

The first two pics I posted were at the top of Coburn Mt. I think.... I'd have to double check. Climbed up into the lookout tower thing, phenomenol view!!!

Those ole tripples were fantastic sleds, Just didn't have the ride
like todays sleds. Iv'e been up Coburn a few times. A couple other
great vews are top of Kineo in Rockwood and Bald Mountain out side
Jackman but both are very tough places to climb. Another nice place
is Mont Du mini In Quebec, Great view over looking the St Lawrence seaway.
Very,Very cold up there.
Hope to get up there soon.

Lee

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
My buddy (and fellow member SpencerPaving) has a nasty polaris. its a race sled on Nitrous 300+HP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScmHkTDFqKw&feature=player_detailpage

trying to attach utube vid of the sled

He is on the right. the sled is absolutely amazing.

Josh

On the right at the beginning or at the end of the vid? I can't tell what sled is what, they all look the same now unless they're sporting the manufs colors :eek:h:

Take this part of the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScmHkTDFqKw
and paste it in the vid link button and you get this
[video=youtube;ScmHkTDFqKw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScmHkTDFqKw[/video]

HEAVYFUEL

Reaction score
My kid with his Mountain Max

I got stuck with the old ZR 580 but it's still a riot to drive!

Smittybilt

Reaction score
Spencerpaving is the sled on the right as your watching the vid. the sl;ed with the skis in the air more than on the ground

truckdoc

Reaction score
I ride a 97 Polaris 700rmk. Ported and polished, twin pipes, reeds, bored carbs. Milled heads, 159x2" track, full lightweight front end, custom tunnel extension, and 6" bar risers.....she's quite the sled :D

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna get out to test the sled today! Put new rings in it last sunday and polished the side of a piston that had a little boo-boo on it :( It could have been worse, the sled had major problems a couple years ago last time I rode. Major exhaust problems, leaning things out, you can see where this was headed...... LOL

Dougs

Reaction score
How did the sled go Tom? I had a 2000 MXZ-x 800 it was red. Real fun sled. Traded it for a skidder , haha. Now I have a bunch of old junk mostly skidoo alpines. My newest sled is a 2006 Skidoo Freestyle , its a little lightweight sled with a single cylinder 300cc? engine. Snowmobile riding , repairing , parts sales etc used to be my life , but I bet I havent been on a ride in 10 years except test rides around the shop and a couple trips into camp. Maybe ill dig out the freestyle and go for a ride haha. doug

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
She went real good! I only got up to 60, snow isn't packed and where I was got too bumpy to try any faster. But that's a good sign, engine sounded and felt real good up to that point. Before when I had the problem it would hit 55 and practically hit a wall. And it doesn't sound any louder than stock either so I'm happy with that. Traction is my biggest issue with that sled. Need more traction!

Adirondackstihl

Photobucket Allstar
Reaction score
Had one........sold it.
$800 (guy got a complete Ski-Doo outfit + helmet + 3/4 gal of Klotz Techniplate)

Latest posts