Quantcast

Spark Plug / Cylinder Pic Thread

Denis Gionet

Reaction score
I saw pics on a forum somewhere, of someone's 435 Husky spark plug and noted it was a bit darker than mine, and had some oil on the threads, like how a typical 2-stroke plug usually looks. Did a bit of milling with my 435 on Sunday, and while cleaning up the saw & checking the air filter, I thought I'd take a peek at mine. I felt it seemed a bit, um, dry-ish, and borderline lean, although the 4-stroke burble tells me different. It's adjusted probably nearly perfect, burbles a wee bit out of the cut, and cleans up in the wood. Fuel/oil is by the book, Husky XP & 50:1 premium e-free gas.

100_0526.jpg

I'm thinking 2 things.

1 -- fuel/air mixture is probably ok for cutting firewood, but could stand to be a tad more rich when on the mill, helping to cool it off a bit.
2 -- the extra heat from long full-throttle runs is causing 100% of the oil to burn, leaving none to spare on the plug threads.

Thoughts ?

Dh 1984

Banned
Reaction score
I saw pics on a forum somewhere, of someone's 435 Husky spark plug and noted it was a bit darker than mine, and had some oil on the threads, like how a typical 2-stroke plug usually looks. Did a bit of milling with my 435 on Sunday, and while cleaning up the saw & checking the air filter, I thought I'd take a peek at mine. I felt it seemed a bit, um, dry-ish, and borderline lean, although the 4-stroke burble tells me different. It's adjusted probably nearly perfect, burbles a wee bit out of the cut, and cleans up in the wood. Fuel/oil is by the book, Husky XP & 50:1 premium e-free gas.

View attachment 648

I'm thinking 2 things.

1 -- fuel/air mixture is probably ok for cutting firewood, but could stand to be a tad more rich when on the mill, helping to cool it off a bit.
2 -- the extra heat from long full-throttle runs is causing 100% of the oil to burn, leaving none to spare on the plug threads.

Thoughts ?

I say richin it up a little more then you should be fine. If your still not feeling safe then mix your mix at 40-1 and you should be good to go.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I think it looks great. Richening the mixture isn't going to do anything to help. The only thing at this point would be giving the saw a break for some cooling. Idling and part throttle running along with heavy oil or poor quality oil mixes will make for wet/oily plugs. My plugs look the same as yours for the most part.

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Reaction score
I think it looks great. Richening the mixture isn't going to do anything to help. The only thing at this point would be giving the saw a break for some cooling. Idling and part throttle running along with heavy oil or poor quality oil mixes will make for wet/oily plugs. My plugs look the same as yours for the most part.

Im with TK. That plug looks good from here, maybe slightly rich, but im sure its had idling time on it.

Milling is about the hardest thing on a saw, aside from tossing it out of a moving truck. If it were mine, and I was intent on using it for milling, I would be running it rich, and most likely at 40:1.

Denis Gionet

Reaction score
I never had the impression it was running TOO lean, but wanted a visual confirmation. Seems that most saws I see are way too rich, like the 181 I borrowed this summer. I screwed the high speed back in about a half a turn to get it running at decent rpms, and it showed in the cutting speed too. Yes, running it a bit rich will maybe extend the life of the saw some, same as running more oil in the mix, but the downside is you have a performance loss. A small one maybe, but on 41cc's, I want all I can get for the mill.

I will richen it up a bit on both ends and see how it runs and what the plug looks like after. But for the most part I like how it runs now. I'd be curious to tach it someday.

Ok, show me yours now ....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I never had the impression it was running TOO lean, but wanted a visual confirmation. Seems that most saws I see are way too rich, like the 181 I borrowed this summer. I screwed the high speed back in about a half a turn to get it running at decent rpms, and it showed in the cutting speed too. Yes, running it a bit rich will maybe extend the life of the saw some, same as running more oil in the mix, but the downside is you have a performance loss. A small one maybe, but on 41cc's, I want all I can get for the mill.

I will richen it up a bit on both ends and see how it runs and what the plug looks like after. But for the most part I like how it runs now. I'd be curious to tach it someday.

Ok, show me yours now ....

Too rich creates more maintenance such as carbon buildup on the piston, in the exhaust port, an in the muffler ;) Plugs are easy to change when they get nasty, the rest is more annoying and time consuming. If there is such a thing as extra time tomorrow ill try to snap a couple pics for ya. Of my plug. Spark plug. From muh saw. Hell I give up :(