Quantcast
  • If you are having problems logging in please use the CONTACT US in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Sprayed with chlorine.

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
Other than my throat starting to close up and the sensation of passing out from inhaling a large amount of chlorine gas, it wasn't horrible. It immediately heats up when it comes in contact with you so it feels very warm. In a matter of days those clothes will have holes deteriorated in them (it eats away at clothing just like battery acid would).

We have chemical pumps that inject the chemicals into the circulation lines for the features. Chlorine is a salt based chemical, so the check valves and injection points can clog up with a crystalized (salt like) corrosion. The lines have to be taken apart and cleaned every few weeks because they clog up pretty badly. There was a plugged check valve at the injection point outside, I undid the line and there was so much pressure backed up on it that the hose slipped out of my hand and started flailing all over - sprayed me just about everywhere and a coworker in the face - fun times! Happens a handfull of times each summer. This was definitely one of the worse spray downs I've gotten from the chlorine lines on a long time though.....

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Reaction score
Other than my throat starting to close up and the sensation of passing out from inhaling a large amount of chlorine gas, it wasn't horrible. It immediately heats up when it comes in contact with you so it feels very warm. In a matter of days those clothes will have holes deteriorated in them (it eats away at clothing just like battery acid would).

We have chemical pumps that inject the chemicals into the circulation lines for the features. Chlorine is a salt based chemical, so the check valves and injection points can clog up with a crystalized (salt like) corrosion. The lines have to be taken apart and cleaned every few weeks because they clog up pretty badly. There was a plugged check valve at the injection point outside, I undid the line and there was so much pressure backed up on it that the hose slipped out of my hand and started flailing all over - sprayed me just about everywhere and a coworker in the face - fun times! Happens a handfull of times each summer. This was definitely one of the worse spray downs I've gotten from the chlorine lines on a long time though.....

I take it PPG consists of safety glasses and maybe gloves? Might want to involve a plastic face shield, a mask for fumes would be an excellent idea but off pudding to the customers.

I would say the customer is wrong in this case. Chlorine can kill, but you know that.

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Reaction score
At our farm we inject hydrogen peroxide in our water. I had the same sort of thing happen to me, a check valve got plugged on the injector and I took the hose off and got sprayed, it's a 90% solution.

My skin turned white, and that ✖✖✖✖ burned. We have a pond right next to our pump house and I couldn't stop down and get in that pond fast enough.

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Reaction score
I take it PPG consists of safety glasses and maybe gloves? Might want to involve a plastic face shield, a mask for fumes would be an excellent idea but off pudding to the customers.

I would say the customer is wrong in this case. Chlorine can kill, but you know that.

Does chlorine go with Nilla wafers?

:farkyou:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score

I was wearing a mask, face shield, and full arm length gloves. The coworker came up behind me to ask a question and wasn't aware that I was undoing the injection point - they didn't have a chance to see what was going on.

The fumes from the chlorine on me was what made me have the reaction. Took the mask off to rins myself down at the wash station ten feet away - about a minute into breathing with the mask off I had to sit cuz I felt the queasiness coming on and my breathing started to become restricted. Ran into the shop in front of a big fan to keep the non-chlorinated air blowing on me.

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Reaction score
I was wearing a mask, face shield, and full arm length gloves. The coworker came up behind me to ask a question and wasn't aware that I was undoing the injection point - they didn't have a chance to see what was going on.

The fumes from the chlorine on me was what made me have the reaction. Took the mask off to rins myself down at the wash station ten feet away - about a minute into breathing with the mask off I had to sit cuz I felt the queasiness coming on and my breathing started to become restricted. Ran into the shop in front of a big fan to keep the non-chlorinated air blowing on me.

Sounds like you have a plan. ✖✖✖✖ happens. Thinking a safety guy would need to be as trained as you. Private or public owned park? (OK not to answer, thinking a publicly owned place could spring for more gear/personnel.)

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
It's public.

And we're outfitted rather well with safety gear, equipment, and stations. I always have a couple changes of clothes incase such an issue occurs. :thumbsup:

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Reaction score
It's public.

And we're outfitted rather well with safety gear, equipment, and stations. I always have a couple changes of clothes incase such an issue occurs. :thumbsup:

Well then, be more careful. We're running out of places not to talk about fuel/oil mixes and how great flippin 346's is.:bananarope:

stihl sawing

death venom dispenser
Reaction score
Done the same to my clothes the other day, had a mixture of bleach and water in a sprayer and was spraying the mold on a building. the wind blowed it back on me I didn't realize it until later when the shirt and shorts had white spots all over. Didn't realize chlorine would do that though.

trx250r180

The Junk Peddler
Reaction score
friend of mine works for the city ,he was in the water treatment plant they use that stuff and fluoride ,he said some fluoride spilled on the concrete and ate a hole in it ,but its perfectly safe for us to drink :eek3:

Latest posts