Square filing

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Would somebody be so kind as to make a "square hand filing for dummies" thank you. I'm going to just go in blind for the first time this week, I get the basics, but if someone know how to file a perfect square tooth and is willing to post pics and directions that would be fantastic. Some info on what not to do, what happens if you do "this" or what happens if you do "that" stuff like that.

Angles, depths, etc. Spill the beans people!

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Jan 10, 2012
Tk i've got a video of me filing on my youtube if you haven't seen it before. If I was at home I could take some pictures to help you out.

Reactions: 1 person

MacLaren

Jan 9, 2012
Shoot, from what Ive seen, its hard to beat a Silvey Razursharp, Swing Arm or even better the SDM4. The work chain Mike did the other day was incredible.
TK, if I were you I would just get a good used Silvey. From what Ive heard about hand square filing, youll go thru enough chain to justify buying a good used Silvey.

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
I saw a pic of a square cut chain on a forum a couple of weeks back, and wondered if there was any particular advantage for a square grind rather than a round file. Is there some particular cutting job that this style of cutter works better on, different wood, .....

Anxious to read more on this ... I'm pretty decent with a plain-jane round file with a broomstick handle (and enjoy the break while sharpening the chain), but if there's something better in the world....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I saw a pic of a square cut chain on a forum a couple of weeks back, and wondered if there was any particular advantage for a square grind rather than a round file. Is there some particular cutting job that this style of cutter works better on, different wood, .....

Anxious to read more on this ... I'm pretty decent with a plain-jane round file with a broomstick handle (and enjoy the break while sharpening the chain), but if there's something better in the world....
I ran a square chain this weekend not knowing what to expect. It's legit better than round. Cuts faster, smoother, maintains a more consistant higher rpm while cutting. Those are the results with my saw anyway, I loved it. Noticeably different for sure.

Metals406

346 and 372 spikes coming soon. PM me for details.
Jan 9, 2012
NW Montana
I could swear we made a square filing thread here already?

Anyway TK, there's lots of stuff on square filing on the other forums, rich with pics and discussion.

If'n there ain't one here already, it'll be good to have this thread too I reckon -- always good to spread the square knowledge around.

I'm going to go look for square threads, BRB.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Sorry, my memory is terrible lol I know there's a race chain thread and a sharpening thread containing grinding and round info. I'm looking for some specifics on square ;)

Metals406

346 and 372 spikes coming soon. PM me for details.
Jan 9, 2012
NW Montana
Hmmmm, nothing popping up here for square. I know there's stuff from me and Lee on Nitrosaws and AS -- and old school threads from John, Cahoon, and others on AS.

Let me see if I can talk Dennis into making some posts on it here. He taught himself to file right and left handed, and I believe he'll have some good input for filing a square work chain.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Hmmmm, nothing popping up here for square. I know there's stuff from me and Lee on Nitrosaws and AS -- and old school threads from John, Cahoon, and others on AS.

Let me see if I can talk Dennis into making some posts on it here. He taught himself to file right and left handed, and I believe he'll have some good input for filing a square work chain.
I'd love it if someone posted up a how to type of thread in the other section for all to see rather than in this thread ;) thanks for checking. I've been over on NS and checked it out, hoping to get some knowledge imported here :) I've enjoyed reading over there a lot, lots of info.

Reactions: 2 people

mdavlee

Jan 10, 2012
The angles is just rubbing the tie straps with the file down and the side plate almost vertical with just a touch of forward lean. How far back you go with the top plate angle is changed depending on work chain or play chain.

Reactions: 3 people

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
The angles is just rubbing the tie straps with the file down and the side plate almost vertical with just a touch of forward lean. How far back you go with the top plate angle is changed depending on work chain or play chain.
Work chain vs play chain meaning durability of cuttin edge? I would imagine a play chain would have a shallower edge to get sharper, but more susceptible to dulling quicker?

mdavlee

Jan 10, 2012
Yes a chain for cutting cants will have more aggressive top plate angle and a thinner top plate. A work chain I go for a steeper angle under the top plate and around 25 degree or so angle on the top plate. I don't really pay attention to the angle on top as much as the side plate and under the top plate. The thinner the top plate the faster cutting but is way less durable. I have had harder wood like seasoned chestnut tear up the top plate like I hit metal. I posted pictures of a work chain I ground in a thread on as mini gtg 5-1 I believe.

Reactions: 1 person

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I'm hoping to touch up the chain I have this week for practice. I'd rather do it when it's not dull so I have a good starting point to work with rather than guessing everything off a rocked out chain.

I'm a little disappointed in myself. I found myself way too excited about the difference between a square and round ground chain. The saw is fast enough as it is while being easy to maintain, and now I have to insist on having a square chain because it cuts sooooo much better :D

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
I know I've seen it somewhere but I'm gonna ask anyway until I find it. The point where the top meets the side - I assume you wanna be just a tad low as opposed to being a tad high. That way you maintain a full width top cutter as opposed to more of a side cutter with full height to the top.... if that makes any sense. I'm gonna go search for the thread out there on the infinite interweb where that exact point was discussed :eek:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Jan 9, 2012
Maine
www.tkpowerequipment.com
Flat chisel bit file

3 square chisel bit file

I have both and will try them both to see which I prefer. If no one beats me to it, I may just create a how-to thread :jawdrop: But it probably will be an ongoing learning process, HIGHLY doubt I'll get it figured out on the first try, first chain.