Quantcast

Square Grinding Questions

Troy G

Reaction score
For the people running square grinders or for people who just know.

How thick are you leaving your grinding wheels or how far down does your stone cut the side plate.

How far down the side plate needs to be ground?

I am trying to convert round to square and would like a wheel that is great for removing material without heating the teeth. I have Salmon which I dressed pretty thin, Blue Ceramic which needs to be dressed a little further as it cuts into the back tie strap a little, and a White, yet to be dressed. All the wheels are from Madsens.

I am trying to go slow as I am used to running a 510 with a CBN wheel and I have yet to heat a tooth with those.

I am using a used Pro Sharp but I am not sure if the grinder could use some service or not.

mdavlee

How the heck did this take so long?
Reaction score
I run my wheels where the side plate flat is around 3/32" thick. I touch the tie straps when I grind but not too deep. I usually just cut with the chains with the first grind and when they're dull I'll grind them again and they'll be more of a square profile. A lot of times the first grind is still a lot like round with the corner and top plate the only thing the wheel touched. :cheers: Just send the pro sharp on down and I'll take care of it and see if it needs work:santabanana:

Troy G

Reaction score
A lot of times the first grind is still a lot like round with the corner and top plate the only thing the wheel touched. :cheers: Just send the pro sharp on down and I'll take care of it and see if it needs work:santabanana:

I believe that is my problem. I am taking too much of the wheel to the chain to try to get rid of the round profile and make it look like square right away.

mdavlee

Reaction score
Just take little bites if you want to get it all the way to a square profile. It will take 3 rounds usually for a brand new chain to get the right profile from round. I usually go around once maybe twice if I'm not busy or in a hurry.

Troy G

Reaction score
Yeah thanks Mike. I am trying to cut too much and even though I am just pecking at the cutters I still getting too much heat and need to do what you suggested. With the CBN wheels on round you can remove a lot of material quickly without getting the heat. Too used to that. Need to slow down.

mdavlee

Reaction score
I've never used a round grinder with one of those wheels so I don't know what to compare it to. I've heard they're awesome and wish they would make something similar for the square grinders.

Troy G

Reaction score
Even when I first got my round grinder I blued some teeth trying to figure out how fast was too fast. Seems I need to learn that again. Also learnt clean cutters is important as well.

Yeah a CBN wheel for square would be neat but it would also lock one into specific grind angles. At least with a dressable stone the angles can be changed.

mdavlee

Reaction score
If you could get a stone made for a set of angles for say a good work grind then it would probably be worth it. For playing with chain for racing it wouldn't be a good thing since you couldn't change the wheel angles.

Troy G

Reaction score
Yeah I am grinding at the recommended medium on the pro sharp and don't have any urge to get really crazy with the angles, yet. I need to learn how to make a good work chain first. I wonder if US Diamond wheels could make something? Might be hard to keep the crisp angles required for square? Why not a 200.00 plus wheel to go with and extremely expensive grinder? :laughing:

mdavlee

Reaction score
Yeah I would think a stone like that probably couldn't get a super crisp corner like you can with dressing on a regular stone. I like the ceramic for production grinding work chains. It will last a good bit longer than a salmon wheel.

Troy G

Reaction score
I am going to dress my white stone and give that one a whirl. I am going to save my Blue Ceramic for touch ups instead of shaping:meh:

mdavlee

Reaction score
The white will burn a tooth quicker than the salmon so keep that in mind. The ceramic is good for when you're not changing angles any and just dressing a little and grinding.

mdavlee

Reaction score
Converted this one over this afternoon.

There sure is a learning curve, lemme tell ya!

Looks like you need another degree or two on the side plate to get it to have a little forward lean. It looks like the corner is behind the rest of the plate just a touch.

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Reaction score
I am going to dress my white stone and give that one a whirl. I am going to save my Blue Ceramic for touch ups instead of shaping:meh:

The white stone ain't worth poop for converting round over. It wears too fast, and won't hold shape.

Wigglesworth

Reaction score
Looks like you need another degree or two on the side plate to get it to have a little forward lean. It looks like the corner is behind the rest of the plate just a touch.

Optical illusion muh friend. :)

It's hard to get a good pic of a chain. :/

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
If you have the dimensions you can have a wheel made for you Cbn. It might have been us diamond, there was a guy on as that was a rep and for the life of me I can't remember his name. They can customize round wheels for different profiles if you wanted, I'd imagine square is also doable.

mdavlee

Reaction score
I guess it was good. Those side way pictures mess with me.

Wigglesworth

Reaction score
I guess it was good. Those side way pictures mess with me.

I dunno bout good, but its usable I guess. Lol

If like to think I was taking to this square grinding like a duck to water, but I'm afraid it's more like a duck to an oil slick. :meh:

Troy G

Reaction score

I thought the same thing but figured it could be the lighting. Bummer on the White stone. I will cut with the Salmon and then when i have more square profile I will use the blue ceramic. Think Salmon is the best, then?

Latest posts