Started splitting this season....

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
Upstate NY - Southern Tier
Not a whole lot but I'm definitely in gear to get as much done as I can. Started on some maple, cherry, hawthorn, and ash. :thumbsup:

Got a bunch more pallets too.

Got a lot more where the wood and pallets came from as well!!

Reactions: 3 people

man of stihl

Jan 11, 2012
Ive been cuttin and splitting here too for next year. I have always split my wood by hand also for my own use as well as selling it to others in the fall. I kinda enjoy it. Gets the blood pumping.:) I like the looks of that STIHL maul. But i haven't had good luck with wooden handles.....

Last edited:

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
It's the original handle but the wood of the handle below the head has a couple gouges out of it but it's overall in really good shape. Then again it should be rather robust for the price of $90. I've prolly split well over 50 face cords with it so far and it'll be a long time before I need to replace it (I hope).

And I love splitting by hand too. Not as productive as a splitter with a lift tray and a 6 wedge but it's great exercise and it can be quite relaxing. Definitely feels accomplishing! I don't mind the extra work it takes to split wood by hand but that's cuz I'm only 30. I may change my tune when I'm 50 but we'll see.... :)

Denis Gionet

Apr 17, 2012
Hearst, Ontario, Canada
It's the Stihl PA80 splitting maul. It's a badass maul - worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. Hands down it's the best maul I've ever used. :yup:

That IS a big bastard, isn't it ! Have you tried the mechanical maul with the little fingers that spread the log open when hit ? A friend had one and I was fairly impressed with it on dry wood, never tried on anything green though.

Any other thoughts on these ? I'll be getting one soon and want some input, thanks !

NORMZILLA44

Jan 10, 2012
Hopland Ca. The badlands
My little woodchucking buddy! How the hell are ya? Been cutting and splitting myself. Hauled another load home friday, sweet I am back on 4-10's and fridays off. I try and plan my work on the ranch days, or woodcutting on fridays. It's tah time of year for me, mow grass, and split wood.

mweba

Jan 10, 2012
Iowa
Not a whole lot but I'm definitely in gear to get as much done as I can. Started on some maple, cherry, hawthorn, and ash. :thumbsup:

Got a lot more where the wood and pallets came from as well!!

Big fan of the BF All Terrain tires:rock2:

Reactions: 1 person

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Staff member
Jan 8, 2012
My little woodchucking buddy! How the hell are ya? Been cutting and splitting myself. Hauled another load home friday, sweet I am back on 4-10's and fridays off. I try and plan my work on the ranch days, or woodcutting on fridays. It's tah time of year for me, mow grass, and split wood.

Doing good Norm. Spend the week in Maine last week with my wife and mother. T'was a nice trip, glad my mom got out of the house for a week. She and my dad had plans to go up there sometime this year but obviously that can't happen now. Glad she made it up though, she needed a small break from all the craziness from last year......

Reactions: 3 people

Dh 1984

Banned
Oct 14, 2012
Union county Tn
i'm still useing the same maul that i bought 10 years ago. it's weighs 8 pounds and it does the job good. i forgot what the name of it. but it does the job thou.