Quantcast

Stihl 038 identify please

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's an 038. Matches up to the 1119 numbers. BUT. The top says its an AV/E/QS super. I go to my handy dandy mediacat and the carb on this saw is not listed. And there are a ton of models to choose from.

W
S
SW
FB
M
MW
MRII
MR

Which one? How do I tell? It's got a Tilly carb, there ain't no Tilly listed anywhere. Either way, I need an intake boot and I imagine they'd all be the same, but I'd like to make sure.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I go as far as knowing it's an 038 - what kind though I have no idea.

Lotta help this post was eh.....??? :rolleyes: :)

You da man homie :farkyou:

Turns out the missing AV bolt allowed enough travel that it just pulled the intake off the cyl. So no parts needed on this one! Got lucky.

Wigglesworth

autotune gives me a pop-up
Reaction score
Anti Vibe Electronic Quick Stop Super.

Say that 5 times fast. Lol

50mm bore BTW. All intake boots are the same. Those saws came with either a tilly or a bing, with the bing being the good one, but carb kits require deep pockets.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
Wow never seen a Tilly one, but Zama and Bing's are listed on Stihls site and partssmart.

The intake boot is 33$ and still available 1119 141 2200

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
It was an odd tilly, hk series. Never seen one before. She runs good fo sho now. Odd sound to it but it cuts great. And it's actually easy to work on to boot! I was impressed. Still don't like the carb mounting area but the impulse and boot were super easy to access.

Popped the cyl off to address the boot and did notice it was a 50mm mahle jug - which I thought was odd for an 038? Thought that was 044 territory? To be a smaller saw I'd imagine it was a shorter stroke to reduce the cc's.... But it sure don't rev like a short stroked saw. It was fairly impressive though.

BloodOnTheIce

~Ice Gangsta~
Reaction score
They were torquey saws, didn't rev very high.

The regular 48mm were a bit anemic, but the 50mm and 52mm were
stout saws.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
So what are the cc's on these things?

WoodChuck'r

HNIC
Admin
Reaction score
038 - 61.0cc

038 Super - 66.8cc

038 Mag - 72.0cc

I've got me a slick 038 Mag with all new plastics and a brand spankin' triple port muffler. It's completely apart and everything is currently in a 5 gallon bucket. Savin' that pig for a rainy day.....

:happybounce: :dancingpig: :pirate:

SawTroll

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's an 038. Matches up to the 1119 numbers. BUT. The top says its an AV/E/QS super. I go to my handy dandy mediacat and the carb on this saw is not listed. And there are a ton of models to choose from.

W
S
SW
FB
M
MW
MRII
MR

Which one? How do I tell? It's got a Tilly carb, there ain't no Tilly listed anywhere. Either way, I need an intake boot and I imagine they'd all be the same, but I'd like to make sure.

S = Super on that list, and none of the other codes on the list are relevant on that saw, unless it has heated handles. If it has, SW would be the fitting code.

Last edited:

Latest posts