STIHL 048

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adirondackstihl

Photobucket Allstar
Feb 6, 2013
For parts or repair. Piston is scored. Not sure if the cylinder will clean up or not? Missing muffler.
Whatcha see is whatcha get.
Asking $80 OBO + SH

I just wanted to add a little here .The rod bearing on this thing uses a needle cage 9512-003-3410 which is 13X17X14.5 .I'm not sure of the piston dimentions on say the 038 mag or 064 in relationshiop to the stock 048 .

However it might be possible if a person could find a cage of 12X17X 14.5 to retrofit .I did notice on a trip through flea bay however a few list aftermarket 048 pistons .

Now I think they are a neat older saw ,fact I have two myself plus an 042 .Who ever gets it with some luck could make a runner out it I'm sure .FWIW some of those older Stihl cylinders had a tough plating and often clean up neat as a pin with a little bit of elbow grease .

Reactions: 2 people

naked arborist

Jun 23, 2013
Merica kinda... So. Joisey
The 048s were 52mm stock for the most part. The piston is 13mm, as stated by Al and fuel lines, rings, pistons can be had. I'm sure there must be a seal out there to fit it. The filter is much better with some felt added as an upgrade. I like the saw. Own four of them. Used one for work for three months. It's got the TQ of a 660 almost. If you put it to the test with a 660 single port with 28" or 32" bar you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Who agrees?

Reactions: 1 person
Urban legion has several storys about the 042/048 .One being they were originally designed for the US forestry service .Another that there were problems early on because of only 4 case screws and the early use of slotted head screws instead of torx heads which caused case leakers .On that I have not experianced any problem .I do have an 042 case I got from Fred ( Stihl Boy ) that has slotted heads but it's just a source of parts.

It was also reported that during the time they were produced they were the highest power to weight ratio of any saw during that time .

They are of the same design of the 028,038 types and as such for their respective displacements have plenty of lugging power .

The seal problem on the clutch side has to do with the design of the bearing and how the seal fits .It does not span the entire width of the bearing pocket but fits in a shoulder cut into the outer bearing race .Fact on that I have one OEM seal left and that will go in an 048 I got from the left coast when I find the time .

naked arborist

Jun 23, 2013
Merica kinda... So. Joisey
If it leaks around the bearing to case some sealer cures this problem on almost anything made like that. More of an attention to detail failure rather than a bad or poor design. If the bearing doesn't "walk out", it's usually a good setup. One drawback is under harsh conditions and heat, seals tend to work harden. There is a lot of older stuff out still around in good condition with this design. The thinking must have been to not wear out the seal to case mating surfaces. One of my best ways to seal up custom built stuff and it always be rebuildable. Is that a word? If for any reason you ever need to increase the case hole make sure you leave enough room and check beforehand on the next size up availability to fit your setup. I prefer the seal to be on the case on the drive side. It has to run cooler. New materials these days cure most of those old problems with rubber.

Adirondackstihl

Photobucket Allstar
Feb 6, 2013
I wish one of you guys would just buy it and then you could give me the diagnosis as to why it is the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kfd518 Stihl 048 info Chainsawz 15
Emiles Stihl 048 Clutch side crank oil seal Wanted 13
J STIHL 015av REPAIR The Razorback Lounge 17
cat-face timber CFT Stihl saws build thread Chainsawz 14
cat-face timber Are stihl bars any better than any others Chainsawz 40
trx250r180 Stihl usg round chain grinder For Sale 9
bigbadbob Stihl MS441 Parts For Sale 8
bigbadbob Stihl MS361 Wanted 14
Brad2185 WTB Stihl ms291 jug and piston Wanted 4
mnmdad Stihl 075 Av Muffler Wanted 10
cat-face timber Roberte Since This Is You.. How Do You Like Stihl Gloves Chainsawz 11
mortalitool Stihl Bar Stud-threaded Insert Chainsawz 9
M Ht 75 Stihl Pole Saw. Runs And I Deal No Power Chainsawz 6
BloodOnTheIce For Sale EHP Stihl MS261 PHO For Sale 0
bigbadbob Stihl 024 Knock Knock Knock Hawgz Garage 6
A STIHL HSA 65 BATTERY/CONTROL MODULE MISSING For Sale 5
Paincow Stihl MS390 appreciation thread Chainsawz 6
stihl sawing Stihl MS 250 with modified bar For Sale 157
N 5 Stihl OEM 066 pistons with rings , no pins . Sell as lot only For Sale 12
N Life isn't fair , my friend and former Tech.Manager at Stihl has cancer . Chainsawz 15
DefinitiveDave Stihl 090G muffler needed Wanted 2
DefinitiveDave Stihl S-10 rear handle parts Wanted 0
2 stihl contra lightning parts Wanted 1
heimannm Lamp for Stihl inspection light/magnifier Chainsawz 7
Majorpayne Stihl FG2 file guide For Sale 9
BloodOnTheIce Tillotson Zama Walbro Stihl manuals For Sale 2
thomas1 Stihl fg2 For Sale 14
hseII Stihl 044 #3- 10mm Wrap For Sale 6
Red97 stihl 200t For Sale 2
D Stihl Rollomatic ES Guide Bar - 28" Wide Nose? Chainsawz 8
Emiles Stihl P840 water pump Wanted 1
O New Walbro Carb for Stihl MS660 Magnum For Sale 1