Stihl MS290/FREE!!

greendohn

pacing is a way of life
Oct 17, 2013
Rush County
it was given to me by a long lost brother who hasn't used it much, or used it at all in a few years or more.
I flushed the tank, filled with new fuel and it fired on the 3rd or 4th pull.
Warmed it up for a minute, pissed revved it for my neighbors and shut it down.100_1726.jpg100_1727.jpg100_1728.jpgoriginal b/c. For the power to weight, I'll probably be grabbing "Uncle Ache" and running this as a curiosity or as a loaner for me twin brother..

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Jul 31, 2013
Southern Minnesota
it was given to me by a long lost brother who hasn't used it much, or used it at all in a few years or more.
I flushed the tank, filled with new fuel and it fired on the 3rd or 4th pull.
Warmed it up for a minute, pissed revved it for my neighbors and shut it down.View attachment 24731View attachment 24732View attachment 24733original b/c. For the power to weight, I'll probably be grabbing "Uncle Ache" and running this as a curiosity or as a loaner for me twin brother..
Sell it and buy him a saw.

Reactions: 6 people

greendohn

pacing is a way of life
Oct 17, 2013
Rush County
WTF...

Your Blade thingy is upside down..

:banghead::banghead:
LOl,,everything about this outfit is kinda' funny, the choke-kill switch thingamajig is goofy, the funny colored plastic, which is everywhere, and the fuel/bar oil caps caps seem like sumthin' designed by some metrosexual who lives in a cul dee sack..and eye aint kiddin' !!

Reactions: 5 people

greendohn

pacing is a way of life
Oct 17, 2013
Rush County
Okay, I opened the airbox to discover a dirty filthy filter and the the whole carb/spark plug area packed in sawdust/chips..having always run Jonsereds, I've never seen anything like it!
Pulled the recoil assembly off and it didn't look much better.
It seems there is no way to really remove the top cover to access the jug without removing the entire rear handle/linkage assembly.
Am I missing something or is this the nature of the "clamshell" design? I'd like to give this outfit a good cleaning, but I'm intimidated by disassembling/ tearing this saw down that far..
The whole thing looks pretty dirty, I rectum I'll break out the air compressor and carb cleaner and just clean it up the best I can..
Thanks for any input/replies.

Reactions: 2 people

Termitebuffet

For Meals
Jun 7, 2012
Midgetville Norf Kakalacki
Okay, I opened the airbox to discover a dirty filthy filter and the the whole carb/spark plug area packed in sawdust/chips..having always run Jonsereds, I've never seen anything like it!
It seems there is no way to really remove the top cover to access the jug without removing the entire rear handle/linkage assembly.
Am I missing something or is this the nature of the "clamshell" design? I'd like to give this outfit a good cleaning, but I'm intimidated by disassembling/ tearing this saw down that far..
The whole thing looks pretty dirty, I rectum I'll break out the air compressor and carb cleaner and just clean it up the best I can..
Air hose it out ...it's kinda a unibody design...Go ahead and trim the limiters and mod the muffler it helps those a bunch

Genius

The Brink of Destruction
Nov 18, 2012
Weird Uncle Willie's basement

Yup, the top cover and rear handle are all one piece :D. A POS design....

One way Stihl came up with so that if you bust the rear handle or top cover the average homeowner will go get a new Stihl because of the cost of parts and labor.....

Once you do one they ain't that bad to work on though.

Termitebuffet

For Meals
Jun 7, 2012
Midgetville Norf Kakalacki
Yup, the top cover and rear handle are all one piece :D. A POS design....

One way Stihl came up with so that if you bust the rear handle or top cover the average homeowner will go get a new Stihl because of the cost of parts and labor.....

Once you do one they ain't that bad to work on though.
If you cut it up into pieces it comes apart easy peasy....:happywink:

greendohn

pacing is a way of life
Oct 17, 2013
Rush County
A good hosing down with 2 cans of carb cleaner and lots of compressed air, sharpened the chain, popped the c-clip off and lubed the sprocket bearing and calling it done. I fired it and pissed revved it for my neighbors at 9:55 last night. Surprisingly it has an adjustable oil pump, which eye didn't fool with 'cause it was slinging plenty.
Thanks for the input fellas.

Reactions: 2 people

towingace

Jan 8, 2014
SW Washington
I wouldn't call it done till you open the muffler up & re-tune. Like Termite said, muff mod makes a LOT of difference on that species. If you want to find out for yourself, do a before & after comparison. Not only will it run better, the saw will run cooler.

If you do a search on the topic, you'll find lots of helpful info.

Edit: Oh yeah, your neighbors will be even more impressed!!

Reactions: 4 people

8433jeff

Capt. Sunshine
Jul 31, 2013
Southern Minnesota
Even two quarter inch holes above the diffuser tube, and a slight grind to enlarge the opening on the plate covering the screen is a great start/finish, has to retuned after, of course. Doesn't add much noise if any and as said, runs much cooler.
These are choked off as bad as a Wild Thing, just tuned fatter from the start.

JP56

Mar 7, 2020
Even two quarter inch holes above the diffuser tube, and a slight grind to enlarge the opening on the plate covering the screen is a great start/finish, has to retuned after, of course. Doesn't add much noise if any and as said, runs much cooler.
These are choked off as bad as a Wild Thing, just tuned fatter from the start.
Any chance at seeing a pic(s) of this mod you mention, for us newbies here? I have the same SOB saw!