Quantcast

Stihl with 1.9 minutes on it

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
The guy hated this saw sooooo much he threw it out of the bucket truck with less than 2 minutes of use on it. Then he brought it to me and said take this pig I don't ever want to see it again.

Well, he piqued my interest and I want to know what's missing so I can try and scrap a bunch of stuff together to fix it up. I considered donating it to the cause for Wiggz recovery but there's damage to it in places that I wouldn't feel right passing it off to someone else, but feel comfortable enough running it on my own. And who knows, I might actually like a Stihl before this is all said and done.

She's missing the recoil and fuel tank. The brake handle is broken but functional. There's a crack in the plastic cover that covers the chainbrake spring and stuff. The crankcase is broken under the clutch near the oiler adjustment, but no apparent damage to the oil tank/crank area. The top cover has a small crack in it. I think I need a fuel tank and recoil, bar and chain.... and that's it? I can only assume it's a 261, it's brandy new.

So, what do I need and how cheap can I get it?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
What a dipshyte. But send me a list of what you need, I'll see what I can do to help Mr. Barger.

I think all I need is a fuel tank and a recoil assembly.

And I'm not sure whether or not I'd sell the saw - for two reasons. I need to make sure it's safe enough to sell to another person, that the case damage isn't more than what it appears to be. I can't be putting this in someone else's hands if it's going to self destruct on them. And I REALLY need something smaller than my 372 but don't have the coin to pop a 346 off the shelf. 95% of the wood I deal with around here is 10" or less and it kills me to muscle around the big saw. I get two trees done and I'm dying. I hate to be selfish, but I'd only keep the saw for myself if I felt it wasn't a good idea to sell it to another person.

If it's suitable for a new home then hell ya it's gonna find a new home. So don't be donating anything, I don't know what the fate of the saw will be. PM me the prices on the parts if you will :thumbsup:

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Need a wrap handle also, how could I have missed that?

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Well actually, who says you need a pair of saws.

Just run that since you mainly cut 10" wood and I'll take yer 372.

But I feel so manly with the 372. Actually, that's the only time I feel manly.

Denis Gionet

Reaction score
You figger it had time to break-in in its 2-minute life, or just break ? lol, that's pretty funny, I guess someone switched out his 435 for that.... what a mean joke, I'd have fired it down too ! I wonder if it was running WFO on the way down ....

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
I'm tempted to tear it completely apart to see what makes it tick, but ALL of my previous Stihl experiences tell me I should leave it as is because I don't want to feel the anger again.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Maybe I need to get some hi-def pics of this thing. I really only need three things to make it go. The crankcase is not as bad as it looks. Sure, missing the part that protects the plastic tank up front, and there's a crack near the oiler adjustment hole. Im not logging with it!! I hardly cut!!! Fuel tank, handlebar, and start assy. And I'm cutting.

Are 261 parts interchangeable? If 260 parts would fit that would be awesome.

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Reaction score
Maybe I need to get some hi-def pics of this thing. I really only need three things to make it go. The crankcase is not as bad as it looks. Sure, missing the part that protects the plastic tank up front, and there's a crack near the oiler adjustment hole. Im not logging with it!! I hardly cut!!! Fuel tank, handlebar, and start assy. And I'm cutting.

Are 261 parts interchangeable? If 260 parts would fit that would be awesome.

nope. new platform. those 3 parts are going to run over 250.

young

Sup dawg. Mah yooza tytle iz cussum, son.
Reaction score
Holy crap!

on a positive note the gas tank is the same as a ms271. well thats kind of a new saw too so nevermind. hahahah

also since your missing the complete tank, you going to have to piece all the other part like the trigger, cover, gas cap, etc......

think you should hold out for a blown top end ms261. just saying.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Im not gonna go crazy ordering stuff that's for sure. Just wish I had access to Stihl parts programs so I could see what fits what. Click on a part for husky and you can see everything it fits. If I could spend 150 for stuff and do it I would but it sounds for sure like its gonna be a bit more than that. Holding out is what I'll do, hopefully something comes along soon.

Reaction score
Im not gonna go crazy ordering stuff that's for sure. Just wish I had access to Stihl parts programs so I could see what fits what. Click on a part for husky and you can see everything it fits. If I could spend 150 for stuff and do it I would but it sounds for sure like its gonna be a bit more than that. Holding out is what I'll do, hopefully something comes along soon.

or you could just sell it to me.

TK

Hand Rubbed Pork
Reaction score
Make it worth my while ;) This saw is worth it to me to get running so I'd need a hell of an offer to let it go! :D

SawTroll

Reaction score
I'm tempted to tear it completely apart to see what makes it tick, but ALL of my previous Stihl experiences tell me I should leave it as is because I don't want to feel the anger again.

You don't really want a 50cc saw that handles like a brick anyway, so just as well.....:meh:

Last edited:

Latest posts